Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2021 Film Awards

BAFTA 2021 Film Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 551 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
Luca
  • Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

So funny how Americans can’t conceive the idea of a white Latin lmfao

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

Of course but let’s not forget about the first woman of color to star as the lead in an MCU movie

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

My final predictions for the categories in the prediction centre.

<b>Best Film</b>

– The Father
    – Mank
    – Nomadland
    – Promising Young Woman
    – The Trial of the Chicago 7

Spoiler: Another Round, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, The Mauritanian, One Night in Miami

Best Director

– Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman
    – David Fincher, Mank
    – Sarah Gavron, Rocks
    – Lee Isaac Chung, Minari
    – Florian Zeller, The Father
    – Chloe Zhao, Nomadland

Spoiler: Another Round, My Octopus Teacher, Quo Vadis, Aida?

Best Actress in a Leading Role

– Bukky Bakray, Rocks
    – Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    – Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman
    – Frances McDormand, Nomadland
    – Wunmi Mosaku, His House
    – Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman

Spoiler: Radha Blank, Jessie Buckley, Morfydd Clark, Julia Garner, Alfre Woodard

Best Actor in a Leading Role

– Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal
    – Kingsley Ben-Adir, One Night in Miami 
    – Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    – Adarsh Gourav, The White Tiger
    – Anthony Hopkins, The Father
    – Tahar Rahim, The Mauritanian

Spoiler: Ralph Fiennes, Delroy Lindo, Gary Oldman, LaKeith Stanfield, Steven Yeun

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

– Niamh Algar, Calm with Horses
    – Kosar Ali, Rocks
    – Olivia Colman, The Father
    – Jennifer Ehle, Saint Maud
    – Jodie Foster, The Mauritanian
    – Yuh Jung-Youn, Minari

Spoiler: Maria Bakalova, Ashley Madekwe, Helena Zengel

Best Actor in a Supporting Role

– Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah
    – Barry Keoghan, Calm with Horses
    – Leslie Odom-Jr., One Night in Miami
    – Paul Raci, Sound of Metal
    – Mark Rylance, The Trial of the Chicago 7
    – Stanley Tucci, Supernova

Spoiler: Sacha Baron Cohen, Bo Burnham, Alan Kim, Frank Langella, Eddie Redmayne

Best Original Screenplay

– Emerald Fennell for Promising Young Woman
    – Rose Glass for Saint Maud
    – Therese Ikoko and Claire Wilson for Rocks
    – Lee Isaac Chung for Minari
    – Aaron Sorkin for<i> The Trial of the Chicago 7</i>

Spoiler: Another Round, Mank, Soul, Sound of Metal

Best Adapted Screenplay

– Ramin Bahrani for The White Tiger
    – Christopher Hampton and Florian Zeller for The Father
    – Kemp Powers for One Night in Miami
    – M.B. Traven, Rory Haines and Sohrab Noshirvani for The Mauritanian 
    – Chloe Zhao for Nomadland

Spoiler: The Dig, Emma, I’m Thinking of Ending Things, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, News of the World

Best Casting

Mank
    The Mauritanian
    One Night in Miami
    Rocks
    The Trial of the Chicago 7

Spoiler: Babyteeth, Calm with Horses, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, Minari, Promising Young Woman

Animated Feature

Over the Moon
    Soul
    Wolfwalkers

Spoiler: The Willoughbys

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I can’t see how Lee Isaac Chung will be nominated for Director if Minari wasn’t even shortlisted for Best Film.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I can’t see how Lee Isaac Chung will be nominated for Director if Minari wasn’t even shortlisted for Best Film.

Best Film’s longlist was voted by the membership, while Director and Acting categories had a hand of the jury. The jury will make sure Chung will be nominated.

Why do you think Judas and the Black Messiah also missed Best Film despite being longlisted for Actor, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress ?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Director is a juried award. Best Film isn’t.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Thanks. I’m still not completely aware of these strange BAFTA rules.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Posting this again if anyone needs it.

Best Film: General Membership (no change from other years)
    Best Director: Directing jury (change from other years)
    Best Actor, Actress, S. Actor, S. Actress: Acting jury (change from other years)
    Best Casting: Casting jury (same as last year)
    Best Original Screenplay, Adapted Screenplay: Writers branch (no change from other years)
    Technicals and BTLs: Technicals and BTL branches (no change from other years)
    British Film: 4 films make it through to nominations automatically from the membership vote, the rest are decided by the jury

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I’m still not completely aware of these strange BAFTA rules.

Perhaps our slugfest can help!

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Is casting like an ensemble award basically? Cause I don’t really know what to do with that category

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Is casting like an ensemble award basically?

Not really. Casting is an award that goes to the casting director of a film for their work whilst ensemble goes to the performers of a film for their performances.

Case in point last year The Two Popes was nominated for Casting and Joker won Casting. Neither were nominated at SAG for ensemble and both essentially had to cast 1 to 2 people to do anything.

With Casting what I would look out for are adaptations of popular texts, films with unknowns and newcomers and biographical dramas. So watch out for those and also for MinariPromising Young Woman and Saint Maud. Each of those could happen too.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Not really. Casting is an award that goes to the casting director of a film for their work whilst ensemble goes to the performers of a film for their performances. Case in point last year The Two Popes was nominated for Casting and Joker won Casting. Neither were nominated at SAG for ensemble and both essentially had to cast 1 to 2 people to do anything. With Casting what I would look out for are adaptations of popular texts, films with unknowns and newcomers and biographical dramas. So watch out for those and also for Minari, Promising Young Woman and Saint Maud. Each of those could happen too.

Thanks for the explanation. I think I have a pretty good mix of those so I think I’ll leave them as is. I have ONIM, Trial, Minari, Rocks & Saint Maud. I hope putting Rocks and Saint Maud in bascially everywhere won’t bite me in the ass. Slightly hope-dicting because I thought Saint Maud was really frightening and especially Morfydd Clark gave me the chills with that performance.

Profile picture
    thomasrigours
    Topics:

Only here to say Wunmi Mosaku’s performance in His House is wonderful and easily deserves to be nominated at BAFTA’s (and the Oscars also but we all know it’s not happening)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Very intrigued to see what happens here with Olivia Colman. She is certainly in the top 3 at the Oscars for the win and if it was the acting branch deciding the nominees she’d be an absolute lock (they love her to death). However we have a jury here and this performance isn’t one that is particularly showy or loud. It’s no doubt an excellent performance and the dramatic weight of it, the fact it’s the only prominent one outside of Hopkins’ and the added poignancy of the role all play in her favour. However I keep thinking back to how with the jury system with the BAFTA TV awards she was snubbed for a similarly subtle performance (although she has more to do in The Father than she did in The Crown). So I wonder if BAFTA juries are either fatigued by Colman and feel that she’s crossed over from the “seasoned homegrown dramatic performer” to the “world renowned dramatic actress” stage of her career for if the bar has been raised higher for her.

That Supporting Actress category in itself is interesting. I can see anyone apart from Yuh-jung Youn and Jennifer Ehle miss.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Absolutely loved the slugfest. Great discussion of the new system and super thought provoking for finalising my predictions

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 551 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2021 Film Awards’ is closed to new replies.