Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2021 Film Awards

BAFTA 2021 Film Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 551 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
Luca
  • Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Hmm ok. And can someone explain why there are doubts about Morfydd Clark? Does the rising star nom really hurt her?

It’s hard to say because sometimes they nominate an actor for Rising Star and the main categories (eg. Emily Blunt) but then quite often they nominate someone for Rising Star but not in the main category (eg. Andrea Riseborough)…

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

OK, thanks for the clarification! I find these awards incredibly hard to predict since the nominations will be selected by a jury. Anything could truly happen here, I’d say.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Is there any chance Viola misses? I am worried. It’s BAFTA, after all. I know they have their new “guidelines” in place, but I still don’t trust them, lol.

I think Viola should be safe. The performance is quite a showy scene-stealing one and as you mentioned BAFTA have new diversity guidelines in place (I anticipate each category will have at least two poc contenders) so the only way I can see her miss is if they decide to make the two poc contenders and two British indie contenders the same person (Bukky Bakray and Wunmi Mosaku).

My problem here is that I cannot decipher how many British indie “Jessie Buckley” type contenders they’re going pluck out of thin air and if they pluck more than two who would be the ones put at risk as a result of it. Bukky Bakray, Morfydd Clark, Wunmi Mosaku and Jessie Buckley herself (although she’s not in a British indie) all stand a chance air the nomination. I think Moskau is in but I am just trying to figure out who joins her (at least one of those three other ladies is getting nominated). None of the top 4 is safe safe but I’d be the most surprised to see Mulligan and Davis miss. Kirby is interesting because I do think a jury would gravitate to the showiness and meatiness of the part but they could drop her for someone like Morfydd Clark. Although Kirby’s continuing rising star status (she was ineligible for rising star as she’s a BAFTA winner) in the film industry could help her.

Just a general point though and this is not directed at you but I feel like I have to mention that (and I know lots of users will come here claiming “so and so is dead”) if someone like Olivia Colman or Sacha Baron Cohen or even Carey Mulligan misses that it means nothing for their Oscar chances. Same with people like Leslie Odom-Jr., Helena Zengel and Viola Davis. Whilst the juried awards (which this year are only directing and acting) are comprised of BAFTA members (some of whom are AMPAS members), the sample is too small to tell how the entire British bloc will vote. We can tell (nominations wise) how the British bloc will vote from the long-lists and from the rest of the categories which are either voted upon by the branch or the general membership (Best Film) and we can tell how they’ll vote when it comes to the win from the wins as they are still voted upon by the membership.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Hmm ok. And can someone explain why there are doubts about Morfydd Clark? Does the rising star nom really hurt her?

In a normal year where the general membership would vote upon a rising star nomination may have hurt because some members would have the line of thinking that “they’re covered” so they would be deterred from voting for them (we have seen people like Timothee Chalamet, Carey Mulligan and Daniel Kaluuya overcome this but each of them were in Oscar bound projects).

I don’t know whether the rising star nomination will hurt her (it might but these nominations were announced after the acting jury finished voting so unless they somehow knew who would get nominated then I doubt it would really hurt their deliberations). However my real cause for concern for Clark’s chances is that even though it’s an incredibly showy performance (probably the showiest in this category), I can see some members of the acting jury taking issue with the subject matter of <i>Saint Maud </i>(which can really hurt Clark whilst not really affecting her co-star Jennifer Ehle). I also think that the profile of Rocks and the newcomer cast members has risen so high in the British media and in the film industry (it’s more popular and widely seen than some of this year’s Oscar contenders) that the jury may look bad to not nominate at least one (if not both) of Bakray and Ali.

Then you also have the fact that in spite of leading the nominations at BIFA (where it broke the nominations record) and having strong audience and industry buzz, it got almost shut out of BIFA in wins. Which isn’t really a good look. This is partly why I have Wunmi Moskau in because I think there seems to be some sort of industry respect towards her here as a television star who is a rising star in film (a bit like Jessie Buckley last year) and that a combination of her BIFA win and Sope Dirisu’s rising star nomination shows she has industry support (like Kirby she was also ineligible for rising star as she’s a previous BAFTA winner).

Maybe she gets in and one of Bakray and Moskau are actually snubbed? Maybe she bumps out one of the top 4 (maybe Kirby? Or McDormand because her performance isn’t showy enough?) It’s very difficult to tell but I do think she could be anywhere from third to seventh for the nomination.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Does anyone know when the noms are announced on Tuesday?

Usually around 7.30 UK time

6th Place WGA 2021
    12th Place VES 2021
    61st Place BAFTA nominations 2021

Profile picture
    Alessandro Palumbo
    Topics:

Carey Mulligan, Viola Davis, Frances McDormand, Vanessa Kirby, Sophia Loren and one between Kate Winslet and Jessie Buckley.

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

MY ACTING BAFTA PREDICTIONS:

LEADING ACTRESS

Viola Davis – Ma Rainey Black Bottom

Vanessa Kirby – Pieces Of A Woman

Carey Mulligan – Promising Young Woman

Wunmi Mosaku – His House

Kate Winslet – Ammonite

Frances Mcdormand – Nomadland

LEADING ACTOR

Riz Ahmed – Sound Of Metal

Chadwick Boseman – Ma Rainey Black Bottom

Anthony Hopkins – The Father

Madds Mikkelsen – Another Round

Tahar Rahim – The Mauritanian

Gary Oldman – Mank

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Ellen Burstyn – Pieces Of A Woman

Olivia Colman – The Father

Jodie Foster – The Mauritanian

Amanda Seyfried – Mank

Yuh Jung Youn – Minari

Helena Zengel – News Of The World

SUPPORTING ACTOR

Stanley Tucci  – Supernova

Daniel Kaluuya – Judas And The Black Messiah

Barry Keoghan – Calm With Horses

Mark Rylance – The Trial Of The Chicago 7

Sasha Baron Cohen – The Trial Of The Chicago 7

Leslie Odom Jr – One Night In Miami

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’d be surprised if Winslet got in here with a performance as cold as that one.

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

I’d be surprised if Winslet got in here with a performance as cold as that one.

My reasoning was: are they going to read the names on the list and are they going to snub Kate Winslet? haha, you never know.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

My reasoning was: are they going to read the names on the list and are they going to snub Kate Winslet? haha, you never know.

Well that would be counter-intuitive on the jury’s part considering one of their aims is to lean towards showy but under appreciated performances from under-recognised/overlooked performers.

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

Well that would be counter-intuitive on the jury’s part considering one of their aims is to lean towards showy but under appreciated performances from under-recognised/overlooked performers.

Is BAFTA’s change to recognize performances that are not widely seen? I’m not in the know, I only know about inclusion (no supporting black actress on my list, should I fishback?)

ps: sorry for my english

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

The most difficult category is still Supporting Actress. I feel sure about only Colman and Youn. I think Bakalova and Close are weaker than we think, while Zengel, Foster, and Seyfried are catering more to BAFTAs’ taste.

Btw, why do we have 6 spots for BAFTAs acting categories? Will we have 6 nominees this year?

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Is BAFTA’s change to recognize performances that are not widely seen? I’m not in the know, I only know about inclusion (no supporting black actress on my list, should I fishback?)

Well not necessarily but the decisions made by the jury in the acting and directing categories (the only ones that are juried in the nominations stage this year) is to go on the basis of the strength, flashiness and loudness of the work rather than whether they are contenders or not for the Oscars (although some Oscar contenders in acting and directing will most certainly be nominated).

For example it is unlikely that Aaron Sorkin will be nominated here for directing but it is likely that both Sarah Gavron (Rocks) and Chloe Zhao (Nomadland) will get nominated.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The most difficult category is still Supporting Actress. I feel sure about only Colman and Youn. I think Bakalova and Close are weaker than we think, while Zengel, Foster, and Seyfried are catering more to BAFTAs’ taste. Btw, why do we have 6 spots for BAFTAs acting categories? Will we have 6 nominees this year?

There are six in each acting category and six directing nominees this year.

Close and Seyfried are easy misses for me under the jury system. Haven’t seen Zengel yet. I think Foster will make the cut but don’t be surprised if she missed but still makes the Oscars line-up.

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

Well not necessarily but the decisions made by the jury in the acting and directing categories (the only ones that are juried in the nominations stage this year) is to go on the basis of the strength, flashiness and loudness of the work rather than whether they are contenders or not for the Oscars (although some Oscar contenders in acting and directing will most certainly be nominated). For example it is unlikely that Aaron Sorkin will be nominated here for directing but it is likely that both Sarah Gavron (Rocks) and Chloe Zhao (Nomadland) will get nominated.

I understand, will BAFTA stop being a thermometer for Oscar as it used to be? well, serious nominations are in the same week as the Oscar vote.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 551 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2021 Film Awards’ is closed to new replies.