Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2021 Film Awards

BAFTA 2021 Film Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 551 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
Luca
  • Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Big 2001 energy today

Bafta1

Emmys FYC: Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien”, Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie”, Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live”, Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn”

“Dickinson”, “P-Valley”, “Pose” & “Superstore” in all categories

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Yeah I’m not taking the juried categories seriously anymore

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Very intrigued to see what happens here with Olivia Colman. She is certainly in the top 3 at the Oscars for the win and if it was the acting branch deciding the nominees she’d be an absolute lock (they love her to death). However we have a jury here and this performance isn’t one that is particularly showy or loud. It’s no doubt an excellent performance and the dramatic weight of it, the fact it’s the only prominent one outside of Hopkins’ and the added poignancy of the role all play in her favour. However I keep thinking back to how with the jury system with the BAFTA TV awards she was snubbed for a similarly subtle performance (although she has more to do in The Father than she did in The Crown). So I wonder if BAFTA juries are either fatigued by Colman and feel that she’s crossed over from the “seasoned homegrown dramatic performer” to the “world renowned dramatic actress” stage of her career for if the bar has been raised higher for her. That Supporting Actress category in itself is interesting.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Anirudh Arun
    Topics:

I have to say though, they really did Carey dirty. They clearly like the Dig and love PYM and even after that they don’t nominate her?!! Very snobbish of them to do so.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

People wanted diversity, then they get a diverse range of films and complain.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Carey is safe. Don’t worry darling.

Viola won’t miss.

Doesn’t age well lol. Who would think of this result anyway?

At least the best 2 imo, Mcdormand and Kirby, remains unbothered.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

I have to say though, they really did Carey dirty. They clearly like the Dig and love PYM and even after that they don’t nominate her?!! Very snobbish of them to do so.

At the beginning when I was seeing all the love for The Dig I told myself “ok, it’s a done deal for Carey”.
    Well…

They made some crazy choices but at least we have a thrilling month and an half ahead of us, not just a boring wait.

2021 Award Season, FYC:

Best Actress: CAREY MULLIGAN for PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN
    Best Actor: DELROY LINDO for DA 5 BLOODS
    Best Supporting Actress: GLENN CLOSE for HILLBILLY ELEGY

Profile picture
    Chaplin
    Topics:

Hi everyone this is my first post here after lurking for a while.

I think that it is a bit strange to see notable snubs such as Mulligan, Davis, Colman etc. Especially after their respective films got nominations elsewhere. However, Im thinking that perhaps the BAFTA jury thought that these performances are likely to be nominated by the Oscars anyway, so they want to shine a light on more independent, lesser seen performances that may otherwise not recieve any recognition, which I think can only be a good thing 🙂

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Carey’s fans have been a little too annoying for some time. For that reason alone, I don’t mind her missing at BAFTA.

Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

I hope the BAFTA nominations look like this every year.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Carey’s fans have been a little too annoying for some time. For that reason alone, I don’t mind her missing at BAFTA.

Same LMFAO

Profile picture
    Keth
    Topics:

Going over the BAFTA nominations, there are so many films I need to see:

Babyteeth
    Another Round
    Rocks
    Calm with Horses

I’ll search HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu to see if any of these are streaming.

The ‘made me smile’ nomination: Dominique Fishback

The ‘disappointing no show’ nomination: Delroy Lindo – especially since there were six nominees in Best Actor

The ‘scratching my head’ nominations: No Carey Mulligan, Viola Davis, Olivia Colman and Jodie Foster (especially since ‘The Mauritanian’ did pretty well)

Profile picture
    Rett89
    Topics:

People wanted diversity, then they get a diverse range of films and complain.

It’s because very few people saw those films they nominated. Not saying they are bad films. People already formed their biases with the bigger films. The jury, on the other hand, had a completely different taste and access to smaller films.

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan
    Best Actor: Riz Ahmed
    Best Supporting Actor: LaKeith Stanfield
    Best Supporting Actress: Maria Bakalova

Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

I’m gonna wait for the Oscar nominations…………..If Andra Day is nominated then I really think she’s gonna win, either her or Viola Davis. I think Viola’s got SAG. A POC will HISTORICALLY win Best Actress at BAFTA’s and if this happens then a POC will win Oscars and it’s gonna be either Andra or Viola.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What this does say is that The Mauritanian is definitely getting an Oscar nomination.

The general membership still vote for Best Film in the nominations stage as they always have done and only once since 2010 has a film nominated by the general membership in Best Film, been shut out completely at the Oscars.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 551 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2021 Film Awards’ is closed to new replies.