Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2021 Film Awards

BAFTA 2021 Film Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 544 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
Luca
  • Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

People freaking out are being silly because both Carey and Viola are locks to garner Oscar nominations. Those other, I’m sure very talented actresses, will not be showing up at Oscar. Of course one of them is flat out ineligible.

Profile picture
    Almond
    Topics:

What a gag

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

I wish they could’ve snubbed Chadwick Boseman and Daniel Kaluuya because it would be fun to predict every acting winner at the BAFTA.

Snubbing rightful winners just to satisfy our “no sweep” dreams? Hell no!

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

With or without the jury Daniel Kaluuya was getting in at BAFTA. And so was Chadwick Boseman.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Curious how these nominations will translate into wins. I’m expecting a lot of, if not all, very expected winners. Boseman and Kaluuya are definitely winning here too, best film and director will be Nomadland and Chloé Zhao.

Profile picture
    Almond
    Topics:

Really happy for Radha Blank

Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

Sorry if this has been said but the jury system is stupid. The jury shoehorning every non-white person they can into the acting categories while the general membership snubs Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, One Night in Miami, Judas and the Black Messiah, and Minari into Picture and Screenplay tells you all you need to know about the performativity of it all. It is not real progress. It’s fake progress designed to get people of their backs.

What? No. The juried nominations are not a show. The nominations IS the main game.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, One Night in Miami, Judas and the Black Messiah, and Minari into Picture and Screenplay

White Tiger, Mauritian and Rocks got screenplay on a popular vote though.

South Asian films/performers have always performed better at Bafta (second highest population in the UK) and Rocks is a thoroughly British film.

If anything, it shows their voting habits aim more towards British themes and stories than aforementioned four American stories.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    johnnygc
    Topics:

Sorry if this has been said but the jury system is stupid. The jury shoehorning every non-white person they can into the acting categories while the general membership snubs Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, One Night in Miami, Judas and the Black Messiah, and Minari into Picture and Screenplay tells you all you need to know about the performativity of it all. It is not real progress. It’s fake progress designed to get people of their backs.

I see your point. It’s clear that they are forcing diversity and what you mentioned reveals that they are still not very inclusive, for sure – I mean, we wouldn’t expect this to change overnight right?
    However, try to think of it this way: fortunately, Ma Rainey, One Night, Judah, Minari are all being widely celebrated elsewhere. The push – the forced push – that BAFTA did to nominated those actors (‘shoehorning every non-white person’) is a push that no one’s making (forced or not). Still, to get to the bottom of the question, try to watch these films (in case you haven’t yet!). Diversity may have played a HUGE role in their nominations, but their work – I’m happy to think – also played a considerable part. And no one, besides BAFTA, is shining a light on them. Forced or not, fake or not, good underappreciated movies received some acknowledgement. At the end of the day, that’s a good thing right?

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

100% agreed. This is just a makeup.

Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

I’m of two opinions about this. Yay for the nominees, but the process is kind of “I see what you’re doing”. Both can be true, but I choose to celebrate.

Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

I knew Rocks would get a lot of love here and I’m happy that it did.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

If they wanna do a jury, they should do what they did with the longlists where the membership votes on three or four then the jury saves two others.

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

The technical categories give a glimpse of what could have been with mostly white lineups. So on one hand, these juries’ brazenness with going against the Oscars trajectory is noteworthy, but on the other hand, we see you BAFTAs with overplaying the POC course-correct in the acting categories. Twitter’s gonna drag you for both.

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 544 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2021 Film Awards’ is closed to new replies.