Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2021 Film Awards

BAFTA 2021 Film Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 551 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
Luca
  • Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

This is the only precursor where Raci has an actual chance of being nominated because no Jared Leto, and his nomination won’t mean anything. My man can’t get a break.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Also, what’s happening with Maria Bakalova? Are they going to jell with the humor/satire the movie displays? I know a handful of Brits who absolutely loathed it.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Also, what’s happening with Maria Bakalova? Are they going to jell with the humor/satire the movie displays? I know a handful of Brits who absolutely loathed it.

She won London Film Critics Circle. The last supporting actress to win there and not get a BAFTA nomination was Sareh Bayat, in 2011.

But with the jury thing there’s no way to know what’s going to happen.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I never fully bought into Maria. She always seemed like JLo in Hustlers to me. Or Lupita in Us

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

We just did a slugfest, in which Riley explains the process very well. These categories are so hard to predict. I tried to use BIFA to justify a lot of my predictions, but I have no idea whether or not that’ll actually help me. I threw in Ashley Madekwe for Best Supp. Actress — is that absolutely crazy?

It is almost impossible for anyone to see County Lines (I mean honestly I am in the UK where most of these Indies are on Netflix or are available to rent and I still can’t see either this or Supernova) but I am almost certain that she is higher than 15th lol.

What I will say is that whilst I still think she’ll get in, Olivia is not a lock here. If this was the AMPAS jury then I think she probably would be quite safe but this is a very conventional performance that BAFTA members and those in the industry are used to seeing Olivia deliver. What helps her is perhaps the added poignancy of her part and the emotional weight she carries here as well as the fact that her competition seem to be facing similar issues with their chances but don’t be surprised if she misses here. If it was the general membership voting upon the nominations she would easily be a lock.

I also would echo what forwardswill has said in the past about seeing as many of these films as you can to try and see how loud or showy they are or how meaty/baity the roles are. These are factors we’ve seen help performers on the television side where the jury system is also widely used.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Fair point. I completely forgot to mention that. I just always worry about something that displays such a specific hunor.  The 7-12 people could love it or hate it.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have no idea what will happen with her either.

What does help her is that she has both the showy performance and she is a newcomer (which we’ve seen help on the television side and know will help here on nominations morning) but Borat and Sacha Baron Cohen’s type of humour can be very divisive. We shall see. I currently have her missing as I’m predicting that they nominate 3 British indie performers (Niamh Algar, Kosar Ali and Jennifer Ehle) and Colman, Foster and Youn.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I currently have her missing as I’m predicting that they nominate 3 British indie performers (Niamh Algar, Kosar Ali and Jennifer Ehle) and Colman, Foster and Youn.

A Glenn miss? Oh sweet Jesus.

Wouldn’t surprise me at this point tho

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Directing is tough. I think Lee Isaac Chung will get in but I don’t know who to drop?

Rose Glass is likely winning Debut Director so maybe I drop her?

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Directing is tough. I think Lee Isaac Chung will get in but I don’t know who to drop? Rose Glass is likely winning Debut Director so maybe I drop her?

I have Chung in over Glass.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    Sagand
    Topics:

It is almost impossible for anyone to see County Lines (I mean honestly I am in the UK where most of these Indies are on Netflix or are available to rent and I still can’t see either this or Supernova) but I am almost certain that she is higher than 15th lol.

It’s available to rent PVOD on Curzon home cinema.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Zhao, Fincher, Fennell, Zeller, Sorkin, Chung seems easy

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The directing jury is not going to watch all 20 of the long-listed pieces of direction  and nominate Sorkin.

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

I’m like “cool that we’re going to be surprised on the day!”
    there on the day: zendaya in actress

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

The directing jury is not going to watch all 20 of the long-listed pieces of direction and nominate Sorkin.

What makes you say that? They nominated Ben Affleck

#StopAsianHate

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 551 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2021 Film Awards’ is closed to new replies.