Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2021 Film Awards

BAFTA 2021 Film Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 551 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
Luca
  • Profile picture
    Sagand
    Topics:

What makes you say that? They nominated Ben Affleck

Bafta membership did, this year is a jury. Sorkin would be safe as houses in a membership vote.

It’s a mistake to start your predictions from a place “these are the regular top six do I switch one out for a British indie”. There’s no advantage of visibility so 15th place can happen. In this system being showy is going to be safer than being connected to a big film.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Just so people know what is different and what is the same when it comes to BAFTA voting this year:

Best Film: General Membership (no change from other years)
    Best Director: Directing jury (change from other years)
    Best Actor, Actress, S. Actor, S. Actress: Acting jury (change from other years)
    Best Original Screenplay, Adapted Screenplay: Writers branch (no change from other years)
    Technicals and BTLs: Technicals and BTL branches (no change from other years)
    British Film: 4 films make it through to nominations automatically from the membership vote, the rest are decided by the jury

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

So who do I replace Sorkin with? Vinterberg?

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So who do I replace Sorkin with? Vinterberg?

Well it’s difficult to tell because there are a lot of showy choices that are long shots in the predictions centre this year (Sarah Gavron, Rose Glass, Thomas Vinterberg, Radha Blank, the director of My Octopus Teacher).

I’d go with Sarah Gavron.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I’m doing Vinterberg since I have him on my Oscar list as a NGNG

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I am surprised people are so high on Cumberbatch getting nominated. He’s easily at the bottom half of the top 15 in likelihood for me.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

It’ll actually be on Star+, a new streaming service which is like Hulu but for outside the US. From what I heard, it’s still allowed to debut in theaters when they reopen.

Star is an additional tab (like Marvel) on Disney+ in the UK, Canada, and some of Europe & Latin America.

Not the separate service Star/Hotstar that’s available in Asian territories.

Disney1

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

It seems like pundits on Twitter are finally catching up with the new BAFTA rules

Not really that big of a shock, most pundits typically only view Bafta as an additional Oscar pre-cursor / gage where the British bloc of AMPAS will vote, without taking in consideration themselves as an own separate body.

One of my favourite example(s) of this is Baz Luhrman winning for Romeo+Juliet (a 97 UK release) over Cameron for Titanic.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

Sophia! Alfre! Sophia! Alfre! Sophia! Alfre!

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

It seems like pundits on Twitter are finally catching up with the new BAFTA rules

t kills its usefulness as an Oscar predictor.

Yeah I said that about 6 months ago. And when they snub Chadwick that will be the end of that.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

Yeah I said that about 6 months ago. And when they snub Chadwick that will be the end of that.

</p>
    They’ll snub him for Da 5 Bloods, but there’s no way he doesn’t get in for Ma Rainey’s. At this point, the only place he has any real chance to be beaten is Indie Spirit

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

I honestly think it is embarrassing the number of critics and Oscar pundits (many of whom are being paid to do their job) who persistently don’t bother to learn about any rule changes that should affect their commentary on any given race or awards show. Like I was listening to the Next Best Picture podcast a few weeks ago, and it was excruciating hearing them discuss the BAFTA longlists without any of them having bothered to learn about the changes that make them a less viable precursor (for nominations) this year. It was the same with the Emmys – the number of sets of final predictions I saw that still had the traditional number of nominees in each category – as opposed to the updated numbers that were representative of the quantity of submissions – was almost unbelievable. And I still hear people every year on some podcast or another talking about the episode submissions as if they matter. It’s been 6 years!

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

It was the same with the Emmys – the number of sets of final predictions I saw that still had the traditional number of nominees in each category – as opposed to the updated numbers that were representative of the quantity of submissions – was almost unbelievable. And I still hear people every year on some podcast or another talking about the episode submissions as if they matter. It’s been 6 years!

Ugh, that was frustrating. Also, I remember someone saying that it’s unlikely for multiple people from the same show to be nominated in the same category. I was like, “What?! The Emmys are known for doing that if they really love a show!!”

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Did BAFTA have this jury-voting-for-noms thing before? Somebody said 2012? What categories and were there also 7-12 members in the jury?

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 551 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2021 Film Awards’ is closed to new replies.