Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2022 Film Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

BAFTA 2022 Film Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 494 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Manav
M
  • Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Hoping that Belfast wins Best Film – I have this gut feeling that Ciaran Hinds and Caitriona Balfe are going to win the supporting awards, and Belfast will win their original screenplay award and British Film as well. So hoping they do this! Go Belfast!!!!!

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Pugh is scheduled to present at the BAFTA awards early next month, where she says she’ll reunite with her “glam family” for the first time in a long time. Source: https://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/models/a39036867/florence-pugh-jcrew-campaign/

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Power of the Dog is back in Netflix UK’s top ten today, following all of its noms.

PowerNetflixTop10

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

BAFTA Bosses Consider Move to Gender-Free Awards: “It Will Be Discussed Again”

BAFTA Bosses Consider Move To Gender-Free Awards: “It Will Be Discussed Again”

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

BAFTA Bosses Consider Move to Gender-Free Awards: “It Will Be Discussed Again” https://deadline.com/2022/02/bafta-awards-gender-free-acting-categories-discussion-1234932504/embed/#?secret=dVxky2Z2py#?secret=4o6EjTfT5c

This is ridiculous. They should add a third category for non-binary, and let people choose the category they wanna compete in. But merging all 3 is just completely ridiculous, fewer performances to highlight and fewer performances to award.

Profile picture
    starklinson
    Topics:

i found the first half of this article interviewing BAFTA members interesting. it seems most are overall happy to see BAFTA go in a different direction to the Oscars, with some tweaks.

Awards whispers: Bafta, Oscar voters compare this year’s nominations

https://www.screendaily.com/features/awards-whispers-bafta-oscar-voters-compare-this-years-nominations/5167910.article

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

i found the first half of this article interviewing BAFTA members interesting. it seems most are overall happy to see BAFTA go in a different direction to the Oscars, with some tweaks. Awards whispers: Bafta, Oscar voters compare this year’s nominations https://www.screendaily.com/features/awards-whispers-bafta-oscar-voters-compare-this-years-nominations/5167910.article

It also feels like we are moving even further away from British cinema, so that performances by great British actors like Andrew Garfield and Olivia Colman are neglected.

Lol I understand and agree that Garfield and Colman were overlooked but equating their misses for American movies with “moving further away from British cinema” is bizarre.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Lol I understand and agree that Garfield and Colman were overlooked but equating their misses for American movies with “moving further away from British cinema” is bizarre.

Especially because these two movies are not even British films lol.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Specially considering, before the Jury system was put in place, British movies (especially indies) were completely neglected most of the time, in favor of American Oscar bait.

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

Also, for all of their desire to separate themselves from the Oscars, they still went for a lot of populist fare that the Academy actually passed on.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It had not struck me that these were happening in almost two weeks time.

EE Rising Star award

1. Harris Dickinson – I ultimately don’t think many members of the public are voting for this award anymore. Ten years ago the rising award was huge because film awards were more relevant in the public consciousness and Twitter was much bigger in giving visibility to these types of things than it is now hence why we would have people like Kristen Stewart winning for the most popular and widely seen films of the years. Awkwafina was in Crazy Rich Asians, Jack Lowden was in Dunkirk and Kingsley Ben-Adir was on The OC and Peaky Blinders and yet they all lost to performers who were lesser known but more “exciting” rising stars who had strong bases of support online from the types of awards fanatics, cinephiles and “Twitter stans” voting for these awards. Dickinson not only has the biggest social media following (aside from maybe DeBose) overall but he’s the only nominee here who I feel like there’s been an element of “excitement” about like there was with Bukky Bakray last year (who I was predicting to win until I switched at the last minute sigh). I don’t think I’ve ever seen Dickinson in anything but he’s the only nominee I can’t stop hearing about. Whether it’s as a result of his work in independent cinema, his highly anticipated upcoming movie with Daisy Edgar-Jones or the fact that he’s the lead of this new Kingsman film which has had an interesting amount of buzz in the UK in the past few weeks. I’m sticking with my prediction of him to the end.

2. Lashanna Lynch – Perhaps ironic for me to say this after the long paragraph I wrote for why I’m predicting Dickinson to win but she’s ultimately in the biggest film. That being said I don’t really feel swathes of support here. I think Bond at this point is more of a cultural institution in the UK (like Doctor Who or Eastenders) than it is a franchise with “populist” support. Sure her character had hype but I felt like there was more buzz about her before the film was released than when it was.

3. Millicent Simmonds – A dark horse here with the type of franchise the A Quiet Place series is. That being said her social media following feels smaller relative to the popularity of her work and of a contemporary like Noah Jupe.

4. Kodi Smit-McPhee – Theoretically the demographic of those voting for this category could have become even more niche this year than it has in the past which would probably benefit him because his performance and The Power of the Dog itself feels so much like a cinephile and film twittery favourite. That being said I would be surprised if he does win.

5. Ariana DeBose – Is richly deserving of the win here but I just don’t see it. DeBose is essentially unknown to the UK public and West Side Story was not a big enough movie here to counter that. Even she herself said in her AP interview she’d be shocked if she won.

Profile picture
    Colin Powis
    Topics:

I’m baffled as to why so many of the editors/ experts have BENATE REINSVE as winning best actress at BAFTA .. it’s a foreign language film and she didn’t even win BAs at the LOndon Film Critics .. GAGA seems like the obvious winner to me (shrug)

Can someone enlighten me as to why British voters would pick Benate ?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

British Film

1. Belfast – The main film category nominee.

2. No Time to Die – It ended up under-performing in nominations compared to the long-list but that still doesn’t change the fact that we’re in an unprecedented year and this film has a narrative of essentially “saving” the British box office. Skyfall missing best film over Les Miserables (another best film nominee) sets precedent for a potential upset here.

3-10. the rest

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I’m baffled as to why so many of the editors/ experts have BENATE REINSVE as winning best actress at BAFTA .. it’s a foreign language film and she didn’t even win BAs at the LOndon Film Critics .. GAGA seems like the obvious winner to me (shrug)

Can someone enlighten me as to why British voters would pick Benate ?

It’s RENATE Reinsve.

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

Darling, I’m sure Benate gives a great performance lol…

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 494 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2022 Film Nominations Reactions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.