Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2022 Film Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

BAFTA 2022 Film Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 494 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Manav
M
  • Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

BAFTA are about to have a YouTube session with each of the best actress nominees (except for Tessa Thompson) if anyone is interested!

Why is Gaga talking about Ridley only knowing her as Stefania sending me? Lmao

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    UnionCityMood
    Topics:

Maybe it isn’t a bad thing for LG to not win this Bafta. If she wins this award without an Oscar nomination, she may have trouble winning Bafta in the future when she runs for another Oscar race (if she ever enters the race again). Even Olivia Colman is constantly being snubbed by Bafta after her wins.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

Maybe it isn’t a bad thing for LG to not win this Bafta. If she wins this award without an Oscar nomination, she may have trouble winning Bafta in the future when she runs for another Oscar race (if she ever enters the race again). Even Olivia Colman is constantly being snubbed by Bafta after her wins.

I’m predicting Scanlan

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    Colin Powis
    Topics:

I really want Garfield to win the Oscar but Get real people and move out of the stan circle to undermine Smith! If Smith loses just BAFTA and wins GG,CC and SAG, there is no reason to think Cumberbatch will win over Smith at the Oscars. (All the Colman,Hopkins,Rylance comparisons are invalid because KR overperformed like TPOTD at the Oscars). Just another lazy argument to want to not predict Smith to win. The arguments that “if Smith is winning,then he should have no problem winning BAFTA” is so dope because BAFTA has such a British bias,Smith isn’t overdue at BAFTA in any capacity and King Richard does not have British sensibilities at all,rather it’s a very American film. Everyone knows Benedict Cumberbatch is winning the BAFTA. We need to stop giving the BAFTA over-credit in a year where their Top 2 was haywire. Just like people are overreacting to the SAG winners, similarly people are giving way too much heat to Bafta in a year where they were historically non-aligned with the Oscars.

By your logic people, if Hinds wins BAFTA then Kodi would be done,right? Or if Balfe wins BAFTA, Dench would be winning the Oscar, right?
    ===========================================================

EXACTLY… Smith is never going to win BA at BAFTA ; not only is Benedict overdue TPOTD is very popular here in the UK while ”King Richard” was very poorly received ; moreover, it’s a very American type movie that doesn’t translate well into British sensibilities…..In fact King Richard is very likely to go home empty handed on Bafta night

Profile picture
    UnionCityMood
    Topics:

it’s a very American type movie that doesn’t translate well into British sensibilities

Dog is also a very American movie with very American Western roles though. I mean I understand Richard and Dog are two different types of ‘American’ movies with Richard being a very feel-good/inspirational type of heart warmer. I don’t think this will be a major factor.

I won’t rule out Graham for winning just yet. I have a strong feeling that this may be the year that Bafta be like “fuck the Oscar we’re doing our thing”

Profile picture
    Colin Powis
    Topics:

Dog was made in NZ with a British/ NZ/Oz cast and NZ Director so I don’t know what you’re talking about ..it’s not an American movie at all except that it was supposedly set in 1920s Montana

King Richard will win ZERO BAFTAS

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

International Film

1. Drive My Car – The only film in this category with a nomination from the membership at large.

2. The Worst Person in the World – Its screenplay nomination at the Oscars goes to show that it has being seen and is peaking at the right time. That being said considering how strong Drive My Car looks that might the something that manifests itself in an upset in the wide open best actress race as opposed to this one.

3. Parallel Mothers – Also peaking at the right time with two Oscar nominations and the biggest box office for a film not in the English language in the UK since Parasite. BAFTA have gone in strange directions in this category in the past (The Handmaiden over The Salesman) and have given wins and nominations to Almodovar films that weren’t even nominated at all at the Oscars so really I’d probably be predicting it to upset if there weren’t two strong frontrunners in front of it and it didn’t under-perform on the long-list (although I guess that could arguably be put down to its release being so late).

4 & 5. Petite Maman & The Hand of God

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Casting

1. Dune – A very difficult category because it has only existed for the last two years and we’ve had very different results in both years. I’m ultimately going with Dune because it’s the biggest film in this category and the fact it got the nomination in the first place would suggest some interesting passion behind its casting is here which I wasn’t really anticipating in the first place.

2. West Side Story – The best film snub makes me hesitant to predict it because if it can’t make the main category after being the most long-listed film then can it really win much (or even anything outside of DeBose) here? Then at the same time it just feels like it makes the most sense from a casting achievement perspective considering how each of the actors involved (with the exception of Moreno and E*g*r*) were either complete newcomers or Broadway actors and this is arguably the film with the most diverse casting in the category.

3. Boiling Point – The closest thing to a “Rocks” in this category although Rocks‘ win last year feels like something out of circumstance as opposed to a sign of strength. This category was quite wide open last year and in hindsight considering how much its publicity its casting technique received (there was even a piece on it on hourly news broadcasts!) it felt like a clear(er) choice in a scattered category that Boiling Point doesn’t feel like as such. That being said it does feel like a film that has had a surge in support towards it after nominations (perhaps due to the successful rollout of it theatrically).

4. King Richard – Also makes sense as a film that could upset if we’re talking about what casting is and its position in the Oscar race does feel like something that can aide it here. That being said King Richard winning 2 awards when it only got 4 nominations and missed best film feels like a bit of a stretch.

5. The Hand of God

Profile picture
    Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

Dog was made in NZ with a British/ NZ/Oz cast and NZ Director so I don’t know what you’re talking about ..it’s not an American movie at all except that it was supposedly set in 1920s Montana King Richard will win ZERO BAFTAS

You jumping the gun way too QUICK…………Let’s see what happens because after seeing what some of the voters pick, Will Smith is not out of the race at BAFTA’s just yet and some liked Aunjanue Ellis too.  KR could go home empty handed and might pull a ‘Moonlight’ at the Oscars!

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

Clayton has Scanlan in the last place. He still has no idea who she is.

Profile picture
    borisy
    Topics:

Bafta people seems to really like gaga, good for her acting career

Profile picture
    xohours
    Topics:

the UK has always been more open and loving to Gaga, both her music & now acting career

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

Dog was made in NZ with a British/ NZ/Oz cast and NZ Director so I don’t know what you’re talking about ..it’s not an American movie at all except that it was supposedly set in 1920s Montana

King Richard will win ZERO BAFTAS

I’m a believer that Benedict Cumberbatch will win the BAFTA, but it’s definitely not out of the realm that Will Smith wins here. If his narrative is that huge like people are saying, there shouldn’t be an issue with him winning here in a sweep, especially since his movie got four nominations.

Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

In about 5 hours we are getting the Leading Actor session. Speakers include: Stephen Graham and Benedict Cumberbatch.

Profile picture
    borisy
    Topics:

the UK has always been more open and loving to Gaga, both her music & now acting career

the fact that she made top 2 in the most snobbish of places with a underwhelming film is very telling

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 494 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2022 Film Nominations Reactions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.