Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2022 Film Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

BAFTA 2022 Film Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 494 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Manav
M
  • Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

I’m fine with Will winning the Oscar but I really would like Benedict to win BAFTA because I think he deserves *something* for TPOTD.

An interesting thing one of the voters said on that BAFTA podcast: that many women voters might feel uncomfortable voting for Smith since it would mean ignoring the brilliance, hard work and talent of two women. I don’t know how much this thinking will impact some of the voters but I’ve seen some complaints in that regard here too.

Profile picture
    Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

I hope he DOES NOT if there’s any justice in this world.

And that’s your opinion.  Benedict will probably win BAFTA

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

Remember when people predicted SAG to go 4/4 at the Oscars last year and that completely flopped? SAG won’t go 4/4 because 3 of its winners (Smith, Kotsur, Chastain) weren’t critics sweepers.

The international crowd of the Academy will likely block one (or more) of the SAG winners. DeBose was the critics leader in her category and won at SAG so she is most likely to repeat at the Oscars. Cumberbatch and/or Kodi are likely to be the critics darling that lost at SAG, but rebounds at BAFTA then the Oscar.

weren’t mcdormand , rockwell , Oldman , Janney not sweepers in their respective years they were 2nd in critics wins but the academy changed from 2017 so i don’t know  ??

Profile picture
    Mankishta
    Topics:

An interesting thing one of the voters said on that BAFTA podcast: that many women voters might feel uncomfortable voting for Smith since it would mean ignoring the brilliance, hard work and talent of two women. I don’t know how much this thinking will impact some of the voters but I’ve seen some complaints in that regard here too.

You have a link to that podcast? I’m curious to listen to it now. Was Benedict mentioned as a potential winner?

Profile picture
    Mankishta
    Topics:

So I don’t think it necessarily matters much for BAFTA since voton opened and ended earlier. But Cumberbatch has been extremely open in his support of Ukraine, significantly more than most other celebrities. He talked at length about Ukraine and what to actually do and how to donate in his Hollywood Star speech. And yesterday when receiving his Cinema Vangard award at SBIFF (btw Pete Hammond mentioned that Cumberbatch’s event was the first sold out event of the festival apparently and that too on a Wednesday) fans were trying to pass him the Ukrainian flag and get him to talk about it and he actually held the flag up and again talked about it in his speech.

Ukraine is a huge talking point in Europe right now, especially in England and I do wonder if his genuine support for the cause might help him gain some of that European support.

Profile picture
    Kenny
    Topics:

Why do actors pretend they know too much poltics? Most of them are seriously ill informed of the events and causes and consequences.

Profile picture
    Mankishta
    Topics:

Why do actors pretend they know too much poltics? Most of them are seriously ill informed of the events and causes and consequences.

So he’s not allowed to show support for the victims of a war that is literally happening close to his country?

Profile picture
    Kenny
    Topics:

So he’s not allowed to show support for the victims of a war that is literally happening close to his country?

I live in Poland.

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

And I live in Romania and there’s nothing wrong with showing support to Ukraine no matter where you are and irregardless of what you do for a living.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I live in Poland.

and? I’m from Portugal and we talk about Ukraine 24/7. People around Europe are allowed to speak up, no matter where you live lmao.

Profile picture
    Mankishta
    Topics:

I live in Poland.

And?

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

As long as your words are followed by charitable actions, I think it’s good that celebrities talk about Ukraine. Every penny matters now.

And it’s great to see Olivia Colman come out of hiding to support the cause as well.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

They have platform(s), and they utilize that. It can be annoying actually if we listen to them, especially if there is misinformation in what they are saying, but in my opinion, it is better than being silent.

"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
    "Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
    "Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - Music

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Colin Powis
    Topics:

I see a potential upset in best Documentary as FLEE seems like the place they would reward a film about refugees that is looming large in the media here in Britain due to the war in the Ukraine

Moreover, Summer of Soul is a very American type film that may not translate well into British sensibilities

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 494 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2022 Film Nominations Reactions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.