Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2022 Film Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

BAFTA 2022 Film Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 494 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Manav
M
  • Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

BAFTA has shifted the balance of power from the actress and supporting actress categories. Supporting actress is a two way race between Balfe and DeBose. One is the critic darling,the other won no critic award. One is in a film that’s peaking at the right moment,the other is in the film that’s underperforming. Both are standouts in their ensembles.

As good as a winner she’d make, Olivia Colman is likely not winning in Actress with no british bloc behind her and with the film’s divisiveness being a huge factor(contrary to what people said here). I rule out Chastain as her film is too weak and she herself is vulnerable. It’s between Kidman and Gaga. I think Gaga wins BAFTA. The one who wins SAG is likely our winner.

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    cinetastic
    Topics:

I’m so happy Renate got nominated but I’m so unhappy Kristen didn’t get nominated. Oh, royal family…

Profile picture
    Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

I really need to see After Love after hearing great reviews about Joanna Scanlan’s performance.

AGAIN, thrilled with the nominations but shocked at some of the snubs and surprises!

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

Directing was fully juried, he was probably top 5 if not higher. But thank god jury stopped him.

Dune was the most nominated movie, they achieved fuckall by “stopping” him, outside of making their awards look like a joke.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I’m so happy Renate got nominated but I’m so unhappy Kristen didn’t get nominated. Oh, royal family…

It’s not because of the royal family. The industry just didn’t seem to like Spencer that much. That being said, it does make for a nice joke to think Prince Williams’ visit lead to Spencer’s shutout while in all fairness,it’s highly unlikely that the royal family (which is more inert than helium) did something to stop the film’s nominations.

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

The absolute WHINING from professionals who cannot adjust to BAFTA and the new role they are playing as a precursor: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/bafta-awards-2022-nominations-analysis-1235086529/

Why is Scott Feinberg a BAFTA member?

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

The absolute WHINING from professionals who cannot adjust to BAFTA and the new role they are playing as a precursor: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/bafta-awards-2022-nominations-analysis-1235086529/ Why is Scott Feinberg a BAFTA member?

This is embarrassing… I love the jury format! It’s amazing the amount of fresh air it breathes into the very sheep mentality awards season and I LIVE for the decision to march to the beat of their own drum and let the Oscars adapt to their choices – if they want to. The British Academy is a respected awards body who will continue affirm it’s influence over the film industry.

Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

I also really love the Jury system. Yes, they’re are snubs, but It’s not like the chosen nominees are atrocious choices. Performances like Jones, Reinsve, Thompson, Plemons, Faist, Norman, and Buckley are getting deserving recognition at a major industry awards ceremony. However, I do wish maybe it was a 3/3 split between populist votes and jury picks, I feel like that would be a fair compromise. As well as allowing the director line up to be 3/3 split, (Villeneuve should have been nominated) and nominees chosen the same as the acting nominations are.

Letterboxd: Brayfers

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

FYC:
    - Squid Game
    - Severance
    - Euphoria
    - Stranger Things
    - Hacks
    - Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

The absolute WHINING from professionals who cannot adjust to BAFTA and the new role they are playing as a precursor: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/bafta-awards-2022-nominations-analysis-1235086529/

Why is Scott Feinberg a BAFTA member?

That’s the highest word count Feinberg’s offered up this season lmao. No reason at all why he was accepted as a BAFTA member to begin with. Even worse is Clayton Davis. Just about anyone here would be a better voter than him.

Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

Balfe & Gaga were not the early frontrunners. Do any of these so-called experts actually know their stuff?

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I also really love the Jury system. Yes, they’re are snubs, but It’s not like the chosen nominees are atrocious choices. Performances like Jones, Reinsve, Thompson, Plemons, Faist, Norman, and Buckley are getting deserving recognition at a major industry awards ceremony. However, I do wish maybe it was a 3/3 split between populist votes and jury picks, I feel like that would be a fair compromise. As well as allowing the director line up to be 3/3 split, (Villeneuve should have been nominated) and nominees chosen the same as the acting nominations are.

3/3 splits will likely be a future iteration of the jury system voting, especially if there’s a big enough backlash to the nominees of a given year. Less of the diversity oversight would have to be tracked though, since this membership left to its own devices would have little to none otherwise.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Balfe & Gaga were not the early frontrunners. Do any of these so-called experts actually know their stuff?

Huh?

Gaga was the frontrunner in the period between the trailer drop of HOG and Spencer’s premiere. While you may or may not call her the frontrunner,but she was No.1 in the odds.

Balfe was easily the frontunner for 3-4 months until early December when WSS released and DeBose took on critic wins.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

I don’t recall Gaga ever being the frontrunner nor do I recall her stumbling at any point.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

I don’t fucking get it. These pundits contradict themselves so much. When the same GG Drama top 5 get nominated everywhere, they pretend to feel sorry for the good performances that missed and keep spamming us with those FYC tweets about “underrated” actresses of the year.

But when the BAFTA jury gives them what they want and nominates those performances, suddenly they’re complaining about Kidman, Chastain and Garfield missing? Get a grip. There’s not enough room for everyone to be nominated.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 494 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2022 Film Nominations Reactions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.