Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2022 Film Nominations Reactions

BAFTA 2022 Film Nominations Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 511 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
M
Manav
  • Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

Do the BAFTA nominations indicate a lack of industry support for Spielberg & Coen in Director? I’m starting to think it’s a possibility…

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Random note about BAFTA – they really have an affection for things that involve cars.

Laughing at EVERYONE who for one second doubted Will Smith. He was definitely top 2 and when he wins his deserved BAFTA and Academy Award he will be doing the African American community proud as he has done as an entertainer and actor for the past 30 years! There is no one more deserving, nothing but love and respect for The Fresh Prince!

I think Smith is winning the Oscar, but Garfield being snubbed at BAFTA might have been a significant boost for Cumberbatch being able to win that award. They now only have 1 high-profile Brit performance to choose from.

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

Butz was talking about the type of performance/profile that gets juried.

It doesn’t matter. Last year was the first year of the jury, so you can’t spot a trend with only two years of the jury.

Profile picture
    Moviebuff22
    Topics:

Bafta doesn’t always just vote for Brits. When Will wins SAG, that may be enough for him to sweep. Clearly they liked the movie overall

Profile picture
    Moviebuff22
    Topics:

Because once and for all, people on this site need to realise there is absolutely no rhyme, reason, patterns or statistics which can pedict with certainty who will be nominated, unless they have swept. Every year I come on here to laugh at the attempts to predict based on some amusing notion of historical data.

BAFTA and its juries, AMPAS, HFPA, SAG – they are not monolithic organisations; they are merely filled with people who have preferences. The only certainty is PGA noms carrying across to Oscar BP noms, meanwhile the editing myth is just a coincidence (a stopped clock tells right right time twice a day).

Correlation does not imply causation.

This x1000. Especially as all of these different awards groups are changing membership and regulations.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

BAFTA didn’t have a top two last year, which was completely juried. So, I don’t see how this year correlates to last year. Cumberbatch is winning Actor easily, btw.

Quite easy: The Jury picked 24 performances last year. Not a SINGLE one of them even remotely resembles Leo’s and Will’s this year. Loud, showy performances by literal superstars in American Best Picture contenders – all these things are unlikely to land with a jury on their own, together they are absolutely impossible. I’d argue that it would be less obvious that these two were top2 if we already had the same system last year because we would have never known that the jury would have snubbed Carey and maybe even SBC.

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

Quite easy: The Jury picked 24 performances last year. Not a SINGLE one of them even remotely resembles Leo’s and Will’s this year. Loud, showy performances by literal superstars in American Best Picture contenders – all these things are unlikely to land with a jury on their own, together they are absolutely impossible. I’d argue that it would be less obvious that these two were top2 if we already had the same system last year because we would have never known that the jury would have snubbed Carey.

Did we even have contenders like Will or Leo last year? Lol

Not every year is the same. Using last year’s contenders to predict this year’s contenders is funny.

Profile picture
    yoseligo
    Topics:

Reinsve is getting in at the Oscars. ❤️

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

This doesn’t make any sense. First yall were saying DiCaprio and Smith were never getting in, and now they’re jury picks only because Cumberbatch fans refuse to accept the fact that they were obvious (but not definite) top 2 picks. Yeah, Will Smith and Leonardo DiCaprio were clearly in artsy noonecurr films, and they’re unknown nobodies that the juries would go for.

I never said DiCaprio or Smith wasn’t making it, so…

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Did we even have contenders like Will or Leo last year? Lol Not every year is the same. Using last year’s contenders to predict this year contenders is funny.

You’re absolutely right about that, and if I’m not mistaken even the juries are different, but choosing performances that don’t fit the criteria I have listed is literally the point of the juries, so I doubt that the factors you named play a role here.

Edit: Even though I hadn’t thought of the fact that, as you said, none of the contenders last year were as big a star as Will and Leo.

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Moviebuff22
    Topics:

I’m so happy Leo got in

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

You’re absolutely right about that, and if I’m not mistaken even the juries are different, but choosing performances that don’t fit the criteria I have listed is literally the point of the juries, so I doubt that the factors you named play a role here.

What “criteria”? How is there a “criteria” with only two years of the jury, one of those years being completely juried?

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 511 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2022 Film Nominations Reactions’ is closed to new replies.