Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2022 Nomination Predictions

BAFTA 2022 Nomination Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 505 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Manav
JV
  • Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Overlap between the BAFTA and Oscar Acting Winners since 2014

2014- 4/4
    2015- 3/4
    (BAFTA winner Kate Winslet lost the Oscar to Alicia Vikander)
    2016- 3/4
    (BAFTA winner Dev Patel lost the Oscar to Mahershala Ali)
    2017- 4/4
    2018- 3/4
    (BAFTA winner Rachel Weisz lost the Oscar to Regina King)
    2019- 4/4
    2020- 4/4

Total- 25/28

Worth noting that the previous year,the overlap was:

2013- 1/4
    (BAFTA winners Chiwetel Ejiofor, Barkhad Abdi and Jennifer Lawrence lost the Oscars to Matthew McConaughey, Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o)

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

These BAFTA winners deserved the Oscar: Mulligan,Riva, Winslet,Weisz

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I’m getting this gut feeling about Plemons. He also made the London critics and I feel like his subtle performance might appeal to the jury.

Me too. He reminds me of

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

BAFTA jury was so brilliant for picking Clarke Peters last year. Great performance!

Profile picture
    superbrats
    Topics:

Plemons is good but the role doesn’t give him anything nomination worthy to do (except for maybe that one scene with Kirsten Dunst after they get married). The “problem” with his performance is not the subtlety, is that his character doesn’t get much to do and kind of goes away in the most important parts of the film.

But this is such a weird category that I could see it happening if they really love TPOTD. Outside of Woody Norman and Troy Kotsur (if he’s not top 2) there’s no other obvious jury picks.

Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

Plemons is good but the role doesn’t give him anything nomination worthy to do (except for maybe that one scene with Kirsten Dunst after they get married). The “problem” with his performance is not the subtlety, is that his character doesn’t get much to do and kind of goes away in the most important parts of the film.

But this is such a weird category that I could see it happening if they really love TPOTD. Outside of Woody Norman and Troy Kotsur (if he’s not top 2) there’s no other obvious jury picks.

It’s the BRITISH OSCARS. 10 of the 16 acting nominations went to British Actors last year, and at least 3 more that had some kind of connection to British cinema.

It’s not that hard: British and or POC.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

It’s the BRITISH OSCARS. 10 of the 16 acting nominations went to British Actors last year, and at least 3 more that had some kind of connection to British cinema. It’s not that hard: British and or POC.

Mads Mikkelsen and Maria Bakalova are not British and/or POC, so spare some room for other European contenders.

"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
    "Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
    "Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - Music

Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

Mads Mikkelsen and Maria Bakalova are not British and/or POC.

I literally said 10 of the 16 acting nominations were British. 10.

And Mikkelsen might not be British, but he has a strong connection to British cinema, having worked with countless British Directors and actors.

Which is what I said initially?

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

I literally said 10 of the 16 acting nominations were British. 10. And Mikkelsen might not be British, but he has a strong connection to British cinema, having worked with countless British Directors and actors. Which is what I said initially?

They didn’t like the first Borat, though. Not even SBC who is their guy in screenplay category, and they still gave it to Bakalova. The thing is that they will vote anyone they want to. Yeah, they will be more aware with diversity, but it does not mean they cannot vote Simon Rex or Renate Reinsve, especially in a voting small body this small.

"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
    "Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
    "Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - Music

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

They didn’t like the first Borat, though. Not even SBC who is their guy in screenplay category, and they still gave it to Bakalova. The thing is that they will vote anyone they want to. Yeah, they will be more aware with diversity, but it does not mean they cannot vote Simon Rex or Renate Reinsve, especially in a voting small body this small.

He didn’t make the longlist bestie. Robbed wbk.

Profile picture
    superbrats
    Topics:

It’s the BRITISH OSCARS. 10 of the 16 acting nominations went to British Actors last year, and at least 3 more that had some kind of connection to British cinema. It’s not that hard: British and or POC.

The only POC is David Alvarez and I have him in my predictions, but I don’t think it’s obvious because Mike Faist has more buzz. I think Ciaran Hinds is top 2 so he doesn’t need the jury save and I doubt they will pick Mark Rylance or Andrew Garfield just because they’re british. Maybe Jamie Dornan because Belfast seems strong for BP. So, out of the british actors, only Woody Norman is an obvious jury pick imo.

Profile picture
    superbrats
    Topics:

I forgot about Benicio del Toro (and I have him in my predictions lol). I also don’t think it’s that obvious because The French Dispatch didn’t get much attention from critics and guild awards so far, but it did well on the longlists so I’m betting on him for a jury pick.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

I replaced Gaga with Kidman. If HoG got in PGA yesterday I would’ve kept her. But Kidman is in better position now and seems to be the frontrunner now. But I think Thursday is a make-or-break day for Kidman’s frontrunner status as well. She needs the nomination.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

With regards to the Plemons conversation I can definitely see it happen. I can see that “you are marvellous Rose” scene standing out with the jury but it also wouldn’t surprise me if The Power of the Dog just got in everywhere with the jury because of the type of film it is (even if I am cautious about Dunst getting in if she misses the top 2).

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

I also think Plemons does some subtle work that helps flesh out Benedict’s character in the first chapter of the film. There’s not much flashy there until his scene with Dunst, but he’s still good and helps move the plot along.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2022 Nomination Predictions’ is closed to new replies.