Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2023 Film Awards

BAFTA 2023 Film Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 500 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
forwardswill
Vicki Leekx

• AMG
    Topics:

Also correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t the acting long-lists still 15 slots? I thought it was only best film and the craft categories that were downsizing.

Acting chapter votes for up to top 10 ranked. Top 7 are longlisted of which top 3 are nominated. Longlisting jury selects final 3 from those placed 8-15 10 are longlisted of which top 3 are nominated

I do wonder what impact this will have.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

estrelas
    Topics:

Having seen Till, I’m pretty confident Deadwyler is getting in. She more than likely won’t be top3 but her performance is jury catnip. I don’t see them passing over her. And she’s amazing in it.

nevkm
    Topics:

Rosy McQueen rising 👏

You were right. She won Lead performance at BIFA and most certainly coming for a BAFTA nom❤️

MD
    Topics:

OMG I knew it. I was already predicting her 👏

Shocked Mescal didn’t win in Joint Performance. But Aftersun still did amazingly well.

Craig Kell
    Topics:

Happy that Kerrie Hayes (a fellow Liverpool native like me) won the Best Supporting Performance BIFA for Blue Jean 😁

Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Frankie Corio has to be a threat here right? It wouldn’t be fair or make sense I think for Mescal to be nominated and not her

FYC:

Zar Amir Ebrahimi - Holy Spider (Best Actress)
    Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson - Blonde (Best Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Samantha Morton - She Said (Best Supporting Actress)
    Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin (Best Supporting Actress)

wolfali
    Topics:

Hey everyone! Just checking in after a couple of days away. I haven’t really been feeling all that great recently for a variety of reasons and have felt rather disillusioned as of late with these types of awards and TV/Film forums as of late and the amount time I’ve been spending on them in particular over the last two years so I’ve decided to wind down and only log in/post when I want to or think I can be useful or productive in helping raise awareness towards an under-seen/talked about production I’m passionate about or can be of any use when it comes to predictions. As opposed to just posting passing thoughts that come to my mind whenever they do that I don’t think anyone really wants to particularly read.

Somewhat gutted about Living not winning anything major last night but am glad BIFA continued their tradition of skewing away from the obvious choice and creating full blown chaos with their upsets. Blue Jean feels like a film whose support is a bit difficult to read until the long-lists come out (I do worry the fact it is releasing in February may hurt it) and part of me does wonder if it would have won had Aftersun competed in the main acting categories but its pair of wins are still good for it as it will hopefully bring some sort of visibility towards it. It goes without saying that Aftersun had a terrific night but now with how much critical and industry buzz is in the air for it I’m actually curious to see if it ends up having enough support to make the best film long-list or if it will get edged out by the reduction in slots. I’m not looking into its joint performance BIFA loss too much as both Tamara Lawrence and Letitia Wright’s performances look quite baity and I don’t think the film will face many of the indies it faced at BIFA at the BAFTAs this year (aside from Living and Blue Jean).

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Rachel615
    Topics:

Hey everyone! Just checking in after a couple of days away. I haven’t really been feeling all that great recently for a variety of reasons and have felt rather disillusioned as of late with these types of awards and TV/Film forums as of late and the amount time I’ve been spending on them in particular over the last two years so I’ve decided to wind down and only log in/post when I want to or think I can be useful or productive in helping raise awareness towards an under-seen/talked about production I’m passionate about or can be of any use when it comes to predictions. As opposed to just posting passing thoughts that come to my mind whenever they do that I don’t think anyone really wants to particularly read.

Completely understand but I, for one, will greatly miss your more frequent posting. Yours are some of my favorite, most interesting ones to read. Feel better!

abelfenty
    Topics:
    MD
    Topics:

I think Women Talking might miss here now. Polley could still happen in Director.

Best Film:
    The Banshees of Inisherin
    The Fabelmans
    TAR
    EEAAO
    Top Gun

Alt. Women Talking/ Avatar

davii
    Topics:

I hope BAFTA’s help Mia Goth buzz

Craig Kell
    Topics:

Baftas 2023: which titles are in the running for outstanding British film?
    https://www.screendaily.com/features/baftas-2023-which-titles-are-in-the-running-for-outstanding-british-film/5177568.article

diagonz351
    Topics:

BAFTA LONGLIST PREDICTIONS
    (Those marked with an asterisk are who I’m predicting to be jury saves in Round One of voting)

BEST FILM
    Aftersun
    Babylon
    The Banshees of Inisherin
    Elvis
    Empire of Light
    The Fabelmans
    She Said
    Top Gun Maverick
    The Woman King
    Women Talking

BEST DIRECTOR
    Sophie Hyde – Good Luck To You, Leo Grande
    Sarah Polley – Women Talking
    Gina Prince-Bythewood – The Woman King
    Maria Schrader – She Said
    Charlotte Wells – Aftersun
    *Sally El Hosaini – The Swimmers
    *Nikyatu Jusu – Nanny
    *Laura Poitras – All The Beauty and the Bloodshed
    Park Chan-wook – Decision To Leave
    The Daniels – Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Todd Field – TÁR
    Martin McDonagh – The Banshees of Inisherin
    Steven Spielberg – The Fabelmans
    *Edward Berger – All Quiet On The Western Front
    *Oliver Hermanus – Living
    *Ruben Ostlund – Triangle of Sadness

BEST LEADING ACTRESS
    Cate Blanchett – TÁR
    Olivia Colman – Empire of Light
    Viola Davis – The Woman King
    Danielle Deadwyler – Till
    Margot Robbie – Babylon
    Michelle Williams – The Fabelmans
    Michelle Yeoh – Everything Everywhere All At Once
    *Rosy McEwan – Blue Jean
    *Emma Thompson – Good Luck To You, Leo Grande
    *Tang Wei – Decision To Leave

BEST LEADING ACTOR
    Austin Butler – Elvis
    Timothee Chalamet – Bones and All
    Tom Cruise – Top Gun Maverick
    Colin Farrell – The Banshees of Inisherin
    Brendan Fraser – The Whale
    Paul Mescal – Aftersun
    Bill Nighy – Living
    *Harris Dickinson – Triangle of Sadness
    *Park Hae-il – Decision To Leave
    *Daniel Kaluuya – Nope

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Jessie Buckley – Women Talking
    Hong Chau – The Whale
    Kerry Condon – The Banshees of Inisherin
    Jamie Lee Curtis – Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Claire Foy – Women Talking
    Lashana Lynch – The Woman King
    Carey Mulligan – She Said
    *Dolly De Leon – Triangle of Sadness
    *Janelle Monae – Glass Onion
    *Aimee Lou Wood – Living

SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Paul Dano – The Fabelmans
    Brendan Gleeson – The Banshees of Inisherin
    Barry Keoghan – The Banshees of Inisherin
    Brad Pitt – Babylon
    Eddie Redmayne – The Good Nurse
    Micheal Ward – Empire of Light
    Ben Whishaw – Women Talking
    *Ralph Fiennes – The Menu
    *Brian Tyree Henry – Causeway
    *Ke Huy Quan – Everything Everywhere All At Once

Really thoughtful and insightful list!

The exclusion of EEAAO from the Best Picture longlist… VERY INTRIGUING! What makes you think it’s possible for the film to be overlooked in the race?

I was also curious on your thoughts about the inclusion of Top Gun: Maverick in Best Picture. I thought that would strictly be an American phenomenon.

And why do you think it’s looking like more Brit-leaning titles might not make the cut on the BP longlist – specifically, “Living,” “Triangle of Sadness,” and “All Quiet on the Western Front”?

And I know you posted these a while ago, but have your predix changed at all with the recent surge of “RRR” in the percursors? Or do you think that specific movie isn’t going to play well in the UK?

Great list, again…

diagonz351
    Topics:

Also, forgot to mention… No TAR for Best Picture!!! What??!!

Manav
    Topics:

And I know you posted these a while ago, but have your predix changed at all with the recent surge of “RRR” in the percursors? Or do you think that specific movie isn’t going to play well in the UK?

Can’t imagine royalists (like Judi Dench) voting for this in a million years. The one place that can be safely ruled out for RRR is likely the BAFTA atleast for the general membership.
    Hoping I’m wrong but let’s see.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2023 Film Awards’ is closed to new replies.