Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2023 Film Awards

BAFTA 2023 Film Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Setia_Yasmine..
Rachel615
  • Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

@Wolfali- Why does “She Said” qualify as a British film for BAFTA purposes? (I’m not disputing your categorization; I’m just trying to understand it.) Thanks.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

@Wolfali- Why does “She Said” qualify as a British film for BAFTA purposes? (I’m not disputing your categorization; I’m just trying to understand it.) Thanks.

I write most of my predictions on a separate document before posting them on here (in order to prevent experiences I’ve already had of having to write them out all over again due to some sort of technical malfunction) and hadn’t replaced She Said with Next Goal Wins in my word document predictions like I had when I posted my first set of predictions on the forums last month and edited it after realising my error.

I apologise for the inconvenience. I spent too much time typing and not enough editing!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I write most of my predictions on a separate document before posting them on here (in order to prevent experiences I’ve already had of having to write them out all over again due to some sort of technical malfunction) and hadn’t replaced She Said with Next Goal Wins in my word document predictions like I had when I posted my first set of predictions on the forums last month and edited it after realising my error.

I apologise for the inconvenience. I spent too much time typing and not enough editing!

No problem! If Gravity qualified as a British film for BAFTA purposes, I suppose She Said might also. Its screenwriter, Rebecca Lenkiewicz, is British, and at least one key supporting actress, Samantha Morton, is British, and a number of scenes were filmed in England….

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s very interesting because the eligibility rules require at least one producer, writer or director to be British for a film to qualify for best British film but then both of the BBC and See-Saw Films produced The Power of the Dog and 12 Years a Slave which was produced by Film4, directed by a British director and was led by a British actor were ineligible. Whilst Cruella (a film with no British production money with an American set of producers and an Australian director) was eligible.

In theory She Said should be eligible due to having a British production unit (and therefore a British line producer) and a British writer (which admittedly I was not aware of prior to this conversation) but BAFTA’s interpretation of what qualifies as a British film makes it interesting when it comes to borderline cases like this. I do think The Batman will somehow find its way onto the British film long-list in spite of being an American production due to it having been shot in its entirety in the UK like Cruella last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

FYI. Apparently, 12 Years a Slave wasn’t categorized as a British film at the BAFTAS because when registering for the BAFTA awards, somebody didn’t “check the right box.” See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26048992.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

FYI. Apparently, 12 Years a Slave wasn’t categorized as a British film at the BAFTAS because when registering for the BAFTA awards, somebody didn’t “check the right box.” See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26048992.

I was unaware of this so thank you for sharing!

Perhaps whether She Said makes it on to the long list is purely dependent on whether the film’s submitter checks it off as a British film (I assume The Power of the Dog also did not submit as a British film last year). Interestingly enough both She Said and 12 Years a Slave are/were Plan B productions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LAINELAVIGNE
    Topics:

Everything Everywhere All At Once must do really well here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MshoaibI
    Topics:

First predictions… Best Film 1. Empire of Light 2. The Fabelmans 3. Babylon 4. Poor Things 5. Killers of the Flower Moon 6. White Noise 7. The Son 8. Women Talking 9. She Said 10. Everything Everywhere All at Once British Film 1. Empire of Light 2. Poor Things 3. The Son 4. The Banshees of Inisherin 5. Next Goal Wins 6. Living 7. The Northman 8. God’s Creatures 9. Silent Twins 10. Enys Men Director 1. Park Chan-Wook, Decision to Leave 2. Claire Denis, The Stars at Noon 3. Oliver Hermanus, Living 4. Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All at Once 5. Sarah Polley, Women Talking 6. Agnieszka Smoczynska, Silent Twins 7. Ruben Östlund, Triangle of Sadness 8. Mia Hansen-Løve, One Fine Morning 9. Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon 10. Yorgos Lanthimos, Poor Things Actress 1. Naomi Ackie, I Wanna Dance with Somebody 2. Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once 3. Emma Thompson, Good Luck to You, Leo Grande 4. Margot Robbie, Babylon 5. Letitia Wright, Silent Twins 6. Danielle Deadwyler, Till 7. Olivia Colman, Empire of Light 8. Emma Stone, Poor Things 9. Zoe Kazan, She Said 10. Carey Mulligan, She Said Actor 1. Colman Domingo, Rustin 2. Hugh Jackman, The Son 3. Bill Nighy, Living 4. Jesse Plemons, Killers of the Flower Moon 5. Park Hae-il, Decision to Leave 6. Colin Firth, Empire of Light 7. Brendan Foster, The Whale 8. Adam Driver, White Noise 9. Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin 10. Daryl McCormack, Good Luck to You, Leo Grande S. Actress 1. Michelle Williams, The Fabelmans 2. Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon 3. Tamara Lawrence, Silent Twins 4. Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once 5. Audra McDonald, Rustin 6. Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin 7. Jessie Buckley, Women Talking 8. Li Jun Li, Babylon 9. Vanessa Kirby, The Son 10. Jean Smart, Babylon S. Actor 1. Zen McGrath, The Son 2. Key Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once 3. Ben Whishaw, Women Talking 4. Paul Dano, The Fabelmans 5. Leonardo DiCaprio, Killers of the Flower Moon 6. Michael Ward, Empire of Light 7. Willem Dafoe, Poor Things 8. Robert DeNiro, Killers of the Flower Moon 9. Brad Pitt, Babylon 10. Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin

I think you got the leaked list :p

Looks good …..

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:
    wolfali
    Topics:

London Film Festival info: https://www.screendaily.com/news/bfi-london-film-festival-sets-2022-programme-structure-uk-wide-venues-exclusive/5172073.article?referrer=RSS

Obviously for TV but interesting that they’re bringing back the series strand. Dopesick premiered there last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Obviously for TV but interesting that they’re bringing back the series strand. Dopesick premiered there last year.

Yeah I saw that. The TV at festivals thing is increasingly common.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:
    cannastop
    Topics:

I wonder how the race for BAFTA Best Animated Feature will go. It’s not always the same as the Oscars.

Maybe they’ll give something not from Disney a chance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Not BAFTA, but interesting move by BIFA (also I’m sure they didn’t have ensemble before)

https://deadline.com/2022/07/british-independent-film-awards-gender-neutral-acting-categories-new-prizes-1235057915/

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.