Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2023 Film Awards

BAFTA 2023 Film Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 500 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
forwardswill
Vicki Leekx

• AMG
    Topics:

The jury for the EE Rising Star award have been confirmed to have met to decide next years nominees.

Jury members include Hayley Atwell, Jason Flemyng and Joe Locke.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

wolfali
    Topics:

The jury for the EE Rising Star award have been confirmed to have met to decide next years nominees. Jury members include Hayley Atwell, Jason Flemyng and Joe Locke.

He is coming.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

AmnistY21
    Topics:

BIFA CRAFT WINNERS

Best Casting – Shaheen Baig, Blue Jean
    Best Cinematography – Gregory Oke, Aftersun
    Best Costume Design – Jenny Beavan, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris
    Best Editing – Blair McClendon, Aftersun
    Best Effects – Dadiv Simpson, Men
    Best Make-Up & Hair Design – Eugene Souleiman and Scarlett O’Connell, Medusa Deluxe
    Best Original Music – Matthew Herbert, The Wonder
    Best Music Supervision – Lucy Bright, Aftersun
    Best Production Design – Helen Scott, Living
    Best Sound – Tim Harrison, Raoul Brand, and Cassandra Rutledge, Flux Gourmet

wolfali
    Topics:

I haven’t seen Blue Jean but I feel like Shaheen Baig wins every year…

Not that I’m complaining though!

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

H_H_
    Topics:

Big get for Blue Jean. Besides British Film, I’m gonna predict it for Casting and Actress too. Seems like the type of performance a jury would drool over.

wolfali
    Topics:

Supporting Actress here is going to be so messy to predict. Do Foy and Buckley make it in with the membership vote? If not will the jury care enough about their performances to “save them”? Do some of the more “mainstream” contenders like Mulligan and Monae make it in with the membership? Will the jury single out Chau, Hoss and Wood or will they suffer the fate we’ve seen performers in similar acting plays experience recently and miss out whilst their leads get in? Do either of the women from The Woman King make it in and if so who? Does Dolly De Leon stand out if she makes the long-list or will a potential lack of passion behind Triangle of Sadness hurt her like with Kathryn Hunter last year? Hsu and Curtis?

I think Kerry Condon is the only person who can be called a lock here seeing as The Banshees of Inisherin is the biggest British film of the season so she could make it in as one of the membership picks but even if she doesn’t the performance is quirky enough and acclaimed enough (and Condon herself unknown enough) to make it in as a jury pick.

H_H_
    Topics:

They love Robbie here. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s top 3.

AMG
    Topics:

BAFTA LONGLIST PREDICTIONS
    (Those marked with an asterisk are who I’m predicting to be jury saves in Round One of voting)

BEST FILM
    Aftersun
    Babylon
    The Banshees of Inisherin
    Elvis
    Empire of Light
    The Fabelmans
    She Said
    Top Gun Maverick
    The Woman King
    Women Talking

BEST DIRECTOR
    Sophie Hyde – Good Luck To You, Leo Grande
    Sarah Polley – Women Talking
    Gina Prince-Bythewood – The Woman King
    Maria Schrader – She Said
    Charlotte Wells – Aftersun
    *Sally El Hosaini – The Swimmers
    *Nikyatu Jusu – Nanny
    *Laura Poitras – All The Beauty and the Bloodshed
    Park Chan-wook – Decision To Leave
    The Daniels – Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Todd Field – TÁR
    Martin McDonagh – The Banshees of Inisherin
    Steven Spielberg – The Fabelmans
    *Edward Berger – All Quiet On The Western Front
    *Oliver Hermanus – Living
    *Ruben Ostlund – Triangle of Sadness

BEST LEADING ACTRESS
    Cate Blanchett – TÁR
    Olivia Colman – Empire of Light
    Viola Davis – The Woman King
    Danielle Deadwyler – Till
    Margot Robbie – Babylon
    Michelle Williams – The Fabelmans
    Michelle Yeoh – Everything Everywhere All At Once
    *Rosy McEwan – Blue Jean
    *Emma Thompson – Good Luck To You, Leo Grande
    *Tang Wei – Decision To Leave

BEST LEADING ACTOR
    Austin Butler – Elvis
    Timothee Chalamet – Bones and All
    Tom Cruise – Top Gun Maverick
    Colin Farrell – The Banshees of Inisherin
    Brendan Fraser – The Whale
    Paul Mescal – Aftersun
    Bill Nighy – Living
    *Harris Dickinson – Triangle of Sadness
    *Park Hae-il – Decision To Leave
    *Daniel Kaluuya – Nope

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Jessie Buckley – Women Talking
    Hong Chau – The Whale
    Kerry Condon – The Banshees of Inisherin
    Jamie Lee Curtis – Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Claire Foy – Women Talking
    Lashana Lynch – The Woman King
    Carey Mulligan – She Said
    *Dolly De Leon – Triangle of Sadness
    *Janelle Monae – Glass Onion
    *Aimee Lou Wood – Living

SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Paul Dano – The Fabelmans
    Brendan Gleeson – The Banshees of Inisherin
    Barry Keoghan – The Banshees of Inisherin
    Brad Pitt – Babylon
    Eddie Redmayne – The Good Nurse
    Micheal Ward – Empire of Light
    Ben Whishaw – Women Talking
    *Ralph Fiennes – The Menu
    *Brian Tyree Henry – Causeway
    *Ke Huy Quan – Everything Everywhere All At Once

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

MD
    Topics:

Best Film

The Banshees of Inisherin
    TAR
    The Fabelmans
    Women Talking
    Babylon (Europeans will love the debauchery lol)

Alt. Living, EEAAO

Best Director

Martin McDonagh – The Banshees of Inisherin (top2)
    Steven Spielberg – The Fabelmans (top2)
    Todd Field- TAR
    Sarah Polley – Women Talking
    Laura Poitras – All The Beauty and the Bloodshed
    Park Chan-wook – Decision To Leave

Best Actress

Cate Blanchett – TÁR (top3)
    Margot Robbie – Babylon(top3)
    Michelle Yeoh – Everything Everywhere All At Once(top3)
    Rosy McEwan – Blue Jean
    Emma Thompson – Good Luck To You, Leo Grande
    Tang Wei – Decision To Leave

Best Actor

Colin Farrell – The Banshees of Inisherin (top3)
    Brendan Fraser – The Whale (top3)
    Bill Nighy – Living (top3)
    Paul Mescal – Aftersun
    Daryl Mccormack -Good Luck To You, Leo Grande
    Park Hae-il – Decision To Leave/ Diego Calva- Babylon

Best Supporting Actress

Claire Foy, Women Talking (top3)
    Jessie Buckley, Women Talking (top3)
    Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin (top3)
    Nina Hoss, TÁR
    Aimee Lou Wood, Living
    Hong Chau, The Whale

Best Supporting Actor

Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin (top3)
    Ben Whishaw, Women Talking (top3)
    Barry Keoghan, The Banshees of Inisherin (top3)
    Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once
    Brian Tyree Henry – Causeway
    Micheal Ward – Empire of Light/Paul Dano- The Fabelmans

wolfali
    Topics:

BEST FILM Aftersun Babylon The Banshees of Inisherin Elvis Empire of Light The Fabelmans She Said Top Gun Maverick The Woman King Women Talking

Everything Everywhere All at Once?

AMG
    Topics:

Everything Everywhere All at Once?

Can’t work out how it lands across all voters. UK reaction felt a lot calmer than the American reaction too earlier in the year.

wolfali
    Topics:

Can’t work out how it lands across all voters. UK reaction felt a lot calmer than the American reaction too earlier in the year.

It did but at the same time wouldn’t you say that the reaction to King Richard (which didn’t even have a $1 million opening weekend in the UK) was much calmer on this side of the Atlantic than it was in the US? Or the reaction to Being the Ricardos? Both got screenplay nominations and did fairly well on the long-lists.

I’m obviously not saying it’s a wrong prediction by any means (there are most definitely going to be shocking omissions on the long-list with only 10 slots in best film) but I think the more likely miss for Everything Everywhere All at Once on the long-list is in director as opposed to best film as when a film like it tends to show up in the former it almost definitely shows up in the latter and it will have more competition there than it will in best film. A film like Empire of Light feels a lot like it would need to show up on the best director long-list to make it into the best film seeing it is an also ran in the Oscar race like Ammonite and Last Night in Soho (both of which were long-listed heavily but didn’t get into the long-lists for either best film or director) were.

Also correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t the acting long-lists still 15 slots? I thought it was only best film and the craft categories that were downsizing.

Bee
    Topics:

They love Robbie here. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s top 3.

Before the jury mess and that’s if Babylon even lands that much here, depending on its reception. I can easily see her being left out

wolfali
    Topics:

I agree with both sides of the argument here. I don’t think Robbie’s previous track record is completely irrelevant because most of the nominations she got here without attaining corresponding Oscar nods were as a result of her being the consensus choice for that slot in her field (and consensus is something that really helps you under this system). J-Lo and Shuzhen were never getting nominated under the old system and Richard Jewell simply couldn’t be seen on time for Kathy Bates to get nominated. So BAFTA’s choices were either Annette Bening in a small political thriller or throwing a second nomination to Margot Robbie in a film they were already throwing lots of nominations towards. Ditto the previous year when she was nominated for Bombshell. The Roma actors were never getting nominated under the old system so the only real choices for voters were Robbie playing Elizabeth I in a SAG nominated performance or Emily Blunt in a SAG nominated horror movie performance (which was also a similar choice they had to make in Lead Actress that year with Blunt in a SAG nominated performance as Mary Poppins and Davis in a Steve McQueen movie that was quite well received by the British film critics).

If the top 3 ends up being wide open again this year AND Babylon has a decent showing on the long-list I can definitely see her pulling off something similar even though the voting systems have changed slightly since she last competed. However if Babylon just ends up being another Nightmare Alley I think she’ll probably just get left out (especially seeing as that by being an awards late-breaker and a January release in the UK it risks itself being underseen when it comes to the long-list whilst Everything Everywhere All at Once has been out for most of the year and both Tàr and The Fabelmans will probably have had multiple screenings in advance of their January/February releases for voters due to them already being out and competing for awards).

momo-memo
    Topics:

coudnt predict anything for BAFTA ….

Best Actor : Colin Farrell, Brendan Fraser, Austin Butler, Bill Nighy

Best Actress : Michelle Yeoh, Ana de Armas, Cate Blanchett , Andrea Riseborough, Danielle Deadwyler

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2023 Film Awards’ is closed to new replies.