Home Forums Movies BAFTA Film Awards 2018 Predictions

BAFTA Film Awards 2018 Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 380 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
forwardswill
Philip
alaska789
  • Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

The category that I am least sure about is Production Design. I did call the Brits supporting their own on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, unlike all of the Experts and Editors and most of the top users. I have Beauty and the Beast right now because the castle is the most memorable single large-scale period set of the category and that is often what wins. The Great Gastby had the mansion, The Grand Budapest Hotel had the hotel and to a lesser extent, Les Misérables had the ship and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them had the bank. The one that does not fit this pattern is Mad Max: Fury Road, but none of its competitors (Bridge of Spies, Carol, The Force Awakens, The Martian) really fit either. Winners from before five years ago are irrelevant because they were voted on only by the branch and not the whole academy. I could also see Blade Runner 2049 winning, given the wins by Mad Max and the original Blade Runner, as well as how it has the most sets. Gold Derby favours Critics’ Choice winner The Shape of Water, which is the Oscar frontrunner. BAFTA notably subverted frontrunner La La Land last year, but they did go along for the ride the three years before last.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  Riley.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Thomas Eagan
    Participant
    Topics:

Bafta went with Gyllenhaal over the heavily favored Clooney. Remember also London is not in a conservative kind of mood right now and we know Olmans politics.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Bafta went with Gyllenhaal over the heavily favored Clooney. Remember also London is not in a conservative kind of mood right now and we know Olmans politics.

gyllenhaal was also in a BAFTA bp winner and Clooney has duo nominations that year in supporting actor.

ReplyCopy URL
    kbfr12
    Participant
    Topics:

gyllenhaal was also in a BAFTA bp winner and Clooney has duo nominations that year in supporting actor.

Listen, all I want is (at least) one more occasion for Timothée Chalamet to call Armie Hammer his “tongue wrestling partner.” Just let me dream!

ReplyCopy URL
    ZegemaBeach
    Participant
    Topics:

A most unscientific survey of six BAFTA voters:

Film: Three Billboards
    Actress: McDormand
    Actor: Oldman.
    Supp Actress: Manville
    Supp Actor: Rockwell in a tie with Grant.
    Director: GDT
    British Film: Paddington 2 (!).

ReplyCopy URL
    kbfr12
    Participant
    Topics:

CORRECT.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

I want upsets so we can have a race. I want Hawkins to win. I want Manville to win. I want Grant to win. I want Chalamet to win. I want Get Out and Paddington to win screenplay. I want Villeneuve to win director. I want CMBYN to win best picture. I want them to surprise us everywhere.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

BAFTA are sheep. They’re gonna award the same acting winners we’ve already seen everywhere else. I feel bad mostly for Hugh Grant because this is the best performance of his career.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I want Chalamet to win.

I doubt that could happen, with Oldman being a Brit legend with no BAFTA award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

A most unscientific survey of six BAFTA voters:

Film: Three Billboards
    Actress: McDormand
    Actor: Oldman.
    Supp Actress: Manville
    Supp Actor: Rockwell in a tie with Grant.
    Director: GDT

How did you survey these six Bafta voters? Are they your friends? If so, could you or did you ask them about their votes for the technical categories? What about Screenplay, did they all vote for CMBYN in Adapted and Billboards in Original like I suspect they might have… Paddington 2 is my favorite of the 5 Adapted nominees by far, honestly.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I want upsets so we can have a race. I want Hawkins to win. I want Manville to win. I want Grant to win. I want Chalamet to win. I want Get Out and Paddington to win screenplay. I want Villeneuve to win director. I want CMBYN to win best picture. I want them to surprise us everywhere.

I also want Baby Driver winning Film Editing and Sound, I, Tonya winning Makeup and Hair, and I Am Not Your Negro winning Documentary.

However, the Bafta voters will likely be sheep as usual… though I am predicting The Shape of Water to under-perform, winning only for Director, Production Design, and Music Score. Plus, I’m predicting Paddington 2 for British Film, because the first one lost so they owe the series one, because it got such universal critical acclaim, and because it has such heart. It truly IS the best of nominees, which sucks as a reason for predicting generally, yet I’m going with my own heart for now on that category.

ReplyCopy URL
    ZegemaBeach
    Participant
    Topics:

Didn’t delve into the below-the-line categories, I’m afraid. Actually, we might have but I can’t remember as I was tired and emotional. Will post anything else I hear as Feb 18 gets closer.

ReplyCopy URL
    alaska789
    Participant
    Topics:

Paddington 2 for Best British Film , surely you jest ?
    Bafta voters have higher tastes than that ……I don’t know who the hell you were talking to , or if they were even sober

ReplyCopy URL
    kbfr12
    Participant
    Topics:

I want Chalamet to win.

I doubt that could happen, with Oldman being a Brit legend with no BAFTA award.

Has Oldman really never won a BAFTA before? That doesn’t even feel possible.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Paddington 2 for Best British Film , surely you jest ?
    Bafta voters have higher tastes than that ……I don’t know who the hell you were talking to , or if they were even sober

You know you’re trying to demean the current best reviewed film ever on Rotten Tomatoes, right? BAFTA could easily choose to reward such a success + a character so enshrined in British culture.

FYC Gold Derby TV Awards: Michelle Dockery - Movie/Limited Series Actress. Claire Foy - Performer of the Year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 380 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.