Home Forums Movies BAFTA Film Awards 2018 Predictions

BAFTA Film Awards 2018 Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 380 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
forwardswill
Philip
alaska789
  • alaska789
    Participant
    Topics:

The voters like to spread the wealth, if they can ; they like to vote for one movie as the BP winner and another distinctly British film for the BBF award …seeing that most folks expect 3 Billboards to win BP , they can afford to give the BBF to something else IMO

”They can have their cake and eat it too ” !

The Darkest Hour has the same number of noms as 3 Billboards (9) and has been doing better at the box office ..it gets the patriotic vote

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

The voters like to spread the wealth, if they can ; they like to vote for one movie as the BP winner and another distinctly British film for the BBF award …seeing that most folks expect 3 Billboards to win BP , they can afford to give the BBF to something else IMO

”They can have their cake and eat it too ” !

The Darkest Hour has the same number of noms as 3 Billboards (9) and has been doing better at the box office ..it gets the patriotic vote

It would be wonderful to see the Three Billboards voters divide themselves between a group who voted for it in Film and another in British Film, and it ends up losing both lol

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Shape of Water feels more like the Best Film Winner here.

British Film more likely to be Three Billboards than Darkest Hour?

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I had TSOW winning best film, switched to 3BB, but now I’m starting to lean towards TSOW again, with 3BB getting BBF with ease.

ReplyCopy URL
    alaska789
    Participant
    Topics:

=================================================
    So much for your ”feels like ” …..3 bills will easy win BP…the actors love it

You simply aren’t paying attention ,or,you’ve got poor instincts and intuition…..the BBF is genuinely difficult to predict , but anyone paying attention should recognise 3 Bills as the obvious BP winner

The fact is that there’s a lot of clueless people who post here who sound like a bunch of mixed up teenagers

Back in early November I confidently predicted that SHAPE would win BP , sight unseen, and had the confidence to bet a large amount of dough on it …three weeks later I hedged my bets on 3 Bills, just in case …..I have never thought any other movie could win and short of a real calamity I’m going to be correct …I read the movie review and watched the trailers , used my intuition and political instincts and , apparently, have beaten all the so called ”experts”

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  alaska789.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Three Billboards should do well because it’s the British cinematic dream: go to America and tell American stories according to their vision of the US. I assume they would like to support this “domination”. I was thinking Actress, Supporting Actor, Screenplay, British Film. But why not Best Picture too? Are Darkest Hour and Dunkirk likely to split the same voting bloc?

I don’t think it’s going to win both Best Film and Best British Film. That hasn’t happened in quite some time. I do expect it to lead the BAFTAs in award wins, though.

I have Three Billboards winning Picture but I’m going out on an admittedly crazy limb by predicting Paddington 2 to upset with the prize for British Film.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

=================================================
    So much for your ”feels like ” …..3 bills will easy win BP…the actors love it

You simply aren’t paying attention ,or,you’ve got poor instincts and intuition…..the BBF is genuinely difficult to predict , but anyone paying attention should recognise 3 Bills as the obvious BP winner

The fact is that there’s a lot of clueless people who post here who sound like a bunch of mixed up teenagers

Back in early November I confidently predicted that SHAPE would win BP , sight unseen, and had the confidence to bet a large amount of dough on it …three weeks later I hedged my bets on 3 Bills, just in case …..I have never thought any other movie could win and short of a real calamity I’m going to be correct …I read the movie review and watched the trailers , used my intuition and political instincts and , apparently, have beaten all the so called ”experts”

As a Brit, I’ve never found it hugely difficult to predict the winner of Best British Film. There’s usually a very clear winner.

And sorry, didn’t realise you were an all mighty award winner predictor – did you get 100% in all ceremonies in the Prediction centre?

Surprised your head can fit through any door…

ReplyCopy URL
    Rinolo Twenty-two
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m sad for Josh O’Connor, he is so thirsty for that Rising Star Award, but I guess he’s losing to Chalamet. He is the only one campaigning on Twitter and Instagram. lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Delilah
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m sad for Josh O’Connor, he is so thirsty for that Rising Star Award, but I guess he’s losing to Chalamet. He is the only one campaigning on Twitter and Instagram. lol

I figured this was Kaluuya’s to lose.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gain
    Participant
    Topics:

He’s the most deserving one out of the three. He should’ve been nominated for best actor and win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

As for odds, The Shape of Water is the most popular bet:

https://www.oddschecker.com/awards/baftas/bafta-awards/best-picture

Not far behind here:

http://sports.williamhill.com/betting/en-gb/tv-specials/OB_EV12258544/71st-british-academy-film-awards—best-film

https://sports.m.bwin.com/en/sports/event/6864230

Three Billboards isn’t odds-on once you’ve taken out the overround, it comes to a 48% favourite.

There’s not much doubt to me that Three Billboards is winning Best Film I’ve come around a bit on Darkest Hour winning Outstanding British Film I’m not going to predict it but it could happen.

Seems that I will have to specify “at Gold Derby” next time.

ReplyCopy URL
    alaska789
    Participant
    Topics:

3 Billboards will easily win Best Picture at BAFTA !

SHAPE is not released until today and has no buzz or momentum

I predict it will win BP , BAs ,BSA and BSP

Best Director should go to Del Toro but there could be an upset with Nolan’s hometown fanbase …but I wouldn’t bet on it

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Although not reflected in the odds graph, I feel like Guillermo Del Toro is picking up steam and more people will dropping Christopher Nolan as they log their final predictions. I am feeling good about my predicted upsets in Editing and Production Design, so I would hate to lose the predictions contest because Del Toro was making a clean sweep.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

People are sleeping on Loving Vincent at the Baftas. It’s very European, has done well with audiences in festivals and has British stars in it, the British accent is all over it.

Also, has anyone got a clue about what to make of Best Documentary?

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Coco is down to 1/10 odds instead of the elusive 1/20 that it had before, so maybe people are sleeping on it a bit less. In all seriousness, I am not about to diverge from the steamrolling Coco, but I cannot rule out an upset after Kubo and the Two Strings over Zootropolis.

I have switched away from War for the Planet of the Apes for Visual Effects and would not be worried about it at all, if not for Andy Serkis being British. I feel confident about it for the Oscar though.

I am increasingly wary of an upset by The Last Jedi. It admittedly has some bad buzz from fans, but Blade Runner 2049 was a box office failure. I feel like the Blade Runner 2049 effects were fairly subtle? They seem to love green screens in this category.

Gravity, Interstellar and The Force Awakens all took place in space, so it was obvious that nothing was real. Life of Pi obviously did not film in the middle of the ocean and the sky does not look like that, so that was another one where obviously nothing was real, to say nothing of the tiger. As for The Jungle Book, we all saw this:

Blade Runner 2049 is not nearly as otherworldly. Having watched it recently, what I remember about it is more Ryan Gosling talking to Robin Wright in her office, talking to his girlfriend in his apartment, fighting Harrison Ford in the theatre or speaking to the daughter through the wall. Basically, there was very little flying around and he was usually indoors. Yes, I know that it is very easy to cite examples of times that there was extensive effects work, but the movie overall does not scream effects. I am reminded of last year when La La Land was the frontrunner for Editing. Yes, it had the montages, but most of the movie was just Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone walking around at the planetarium or by random lampposts or having dinner together. It did not scream editing unless you really thought about it.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 380 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.