Home Forums Movies BAFTA Film Awards 2019: Final Predictions and Ceremony Reactions

BAFTA Film Awards 2019: Final Predictions and Ceremony Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 541 through 554 (of 554 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +12 hidden )
replies
views
users
ospencer
FreemanGriffin
wolfali
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

The Favourite is going to win Original Screenplay, not Green Book (at the Oscars).

kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

I was busy so here’s my reaction to Bale/Cooper losing and one of the worst performances ever winning an Oscar:

Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

Rachel Weist vs Marina De Tavira, the race is on

For Your Emmy Consideration: Best Comedy Series Sex Education, Comedy Lead Actor Asa Butterfield, Comedy Supporting Actress Guillian Anderson, Drama Supporting Actress Miranda Otto for The Chilling Adventure of Sabrina.

GMonty777
    Participant
    Topics:

Meh, Green Book is low on Brit appeal, it’s impressive it even managed to win for Mahershala to be honest (though I predicted it). It was never going to beat The Favourite in Screenplay here, and I don’t think it has any bearing on WGA.

This is correct. The film was only nominated for 4 BAFTAs, and lacked the British appeal of The Favourite.

For its Best Picture chances, it actually INCREASED. Winning the BAFTA doesn’t actually increase your Best Picture chances. Only 39% of all BAFTA Best Film winners won Best Picture. The BAFTAS are on a four year losing streak.

Grant it, I am still going with ROMA, but I don’t think Roma’s case got stronger because of tonight.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

So I got 17/21, not bad. I correctly calculated the distribution of Brit winners and losers in the acting categories, with Colman and Weisz winning but not Bale or Grant. I really thought I was onto something with my super bet on They Shall Not Grow Old for Documentary. Ah well. I wonder if Free Solo winning hints at a possible upset at the Oscars or if that’s merely reflective of Ruth Bader Ginsberg being less of an icon in the UK compared to the US.

Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Roma”s case did get stronger- too bad about The Favorite losing Best Film though. If it had won there I think that it would have been a sign of really strong support for the film which could have helped it pull off Best Picture. But it looks like Roma is winning.

The Favorite isn”t eligible at WGA so Green Book winning there won”t do it any favors. Also don”t think that the Globe won for Screenplay is a great sign for it”s chances as La La Land won there and it went on to lose at the Oscars.

Anonymous
    Topics:

Isn’t BAFTA censored? Every clip they pick is like “fuck”, “fucking”, “shit”.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Supporting Actress is now King vs. Weisz. I love and adore de Tavira but the surprise out of nowhere nominee is not winning the Oscar. Any of the 3 would be a superb winner though!

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

The Favourite is going to win Original Screenplay, not Green Book (at the Oscars).

God, I hope so.

ospencer
    Participant
    Topics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrAwLZaXqzI

I can’t stop smiling. Can’t wait to see Oli’s speech.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Roma winning Best Film at BAFTA absolutely strengthens it for an Oscar win for Best Picture, particularly since it had to overcome the extremely popular British Film winner The Favourite. It won the exact four BAFTA’s I am predicting it will win at the Oscars.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Winning the BAFTA doesn’t actually increase your Best Picture chances. Only 39% of all BAFTA Best Film winners won Best Picture. The BAFTAS are on a four year losing streak.

Grant it, I am still going with ROMA, but I don’t think Roma’s case got stronger because of tonight.

Well you could say that beating the hometown… ahem, favourite despite that winning seven other awards strengthens Roma, though it’s mostly weakened whatever slim chance The Favourite had of winning Best Picture. One thing this result has shown is that Roma being the frontrunner for FLF likely won’t affect its chances for Best Picture. If it loses the top award it’ll be for different reasons.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Isn’t BAFTA censored? Every clip they pick is like “fuck”, “fucking”, “shit”.

Airs at 9pm, after the watershed. So no bleeps!

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

For all those who are sad with Rami and Roma winning this season,don’t worry Scorsese,Joaquin Phenoix and The Irishman will give you joy next year.

Viewing 14 posts - 541 through 554 (of 554 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA Film Awards 2019: Final Predictions and Ceremony Reactions’ is closed to new replies.