Home Forums Movies BAFTA Film Awards 2021 Reactions (Part 3)

BAFTA Film Awards 2021 Reactions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 934 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
boredandricho..
  • Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I’m predicting ‘Nomadland’ of course but I think PYW is the only one that could upset it at BAFTA since it has a story which is extremely prevalent to what is going on in the UK today. Not enough people are talking about this and it’s why I also believe it will eventually take British Film over The Father.

I was talking about the Oscars. I agree about Promising Young Woman being #2 here.

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

it is honestly so disappointing to see promising young woman getting all these accolades and praises since it’s one of the most offensive movies made about sexual assault, coming from a survivor myself lol so don’t at me. but good for emerald i guess

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I Tonya an extremely American movie got an original screenplay nomination over Minari.

Over? And I would not call it “extremely American” with an Australian director and producer/star, plus an English producer.

Minari is easily the best score of the year and honestly should’ve done a complete sweep

I have had no idea what this thing about the Soul score is.

Florian Zeller actually got into the First Feature so it wasn’t really a miss imo

With Fernando Frías de la Parra and Radha Blank—even Regina King does not break to competitiveness there.

yeah but like aaron sorkin made in where he is w the oscar noms?

I do not know what this is.

Casting: Promising Young Woman (last year they voted for the one that was arguably closest to Best Film — I think they liked Joker more than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood — and predicting Rocks to win two acting plus casting feels like too much.)

You cannot conflate what a jury of seven to twelve did last year with what possibly eight thousand will do this year (as demonstrated by the acting nominations).

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

it is honestly so disappointing to see promising young woman getting all these accolades and praises since it’s one of the most offensive movies made about sexual assault, coming from a survivor myself lol so don’t at me. but good for emerald i guess

I’ve also heard many takes from survivors who absolutely loved it and think it captures their experience perfectly. I’m genuinely interested so please don’t dismiss this as hate: what is offensive in the movie?

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I’ve also heard many takes from survivors who absolutely loved it and think it captures their experience perfectly. I’m genuinely interested so please don’t dismiss this as hate: what is offensive in the movie?

Not saying it reflects my opinion, but this article — which got around 3k on Twitter — was interesting: https://twitter.com/AyeshaASiddiqi/status/1379570287252021258?s=19

Profile picture
    Topics:

I am not disagreeing that there is a huge part of the movie that speaks the truth it portrays some things really well but the way it portrayed the relationship between Nina and cassie and that awful finale.

About the relationship it basically that everything cassie makes and does is about nina, nina is this nina is that but you never actually know about nina’s take about all this. yes, she committed suicide but does that mean she needed someone to speak for her or in her place to get justice? Fennel is basically making nina seem like a person without a character and only defined by her past with sexual abuse. Through the entire movie she is just an idea and sometimes people don’t even remember who she was and say things like “this is best for us” completely ignoring the fact that they are not the ones most affected by the assault. And as for cassie, she is acting out of her wishes and wills and Nina, yes she is dead but still has no say in this. So it makes me think why Cassie actually waited to take revenge till after she died yk. If that was what Nina wanted why nothing has been done while she was still alive. So basically Cassie’s actions under the name of getting revenge serve no one but herself.

And about the finale, it is basically fucked up. There is nothing empowering about it. Fennel literally makes a huge point with it and says there is no hope for survivors unless you die. Like it literally sheds light on what we are told by society move on and forget about what happened that’s the only way you can be happy. There is no way to be happy if you experienced a trauma unless you forget about it or die. And Cassie died for what? a man to get arrested for the crime they committed? Does a woman always need to die for men to face the consequences of their actions that turned a woman’s life into a living hell?

Also, it makes sexual assault seem like it is only related to sex which is not it at all.

Also about the costumes, what you wear doesn’t matter when you get assaulted. So them making Cassie dress up extra chic and glamourous just says that if you don’t wanna get assaulted then don’t wear that kind of clothers.

So like from my pov it makes no difference to where the society stands about these issues and in fact, adds more power to those who think we don’t have a say in what happened to us or how we live afterwards. So basically yes it is so accurate in many ways but it is a shallow movie and does not represent what’s happening well
    edit: and also the target is not always the men as the movie trying to make it seem like

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

I am not disagreeing that there is a huge part of the movie that speaks the truth it portrays some things really well but the way it portrayed the relationship between Nina and cassie and that awful finale.

About the relationship it basically that everything cassie makes and does is about nina, nina is this nina is that but you never actually know about nina’s take about all this. yes, she committed suicide but does that mean she needed someone to speak for her or in her place to get justice? Fennel is basically making nina seem like a person without a character and only defined by her past with sexual abuse. Through the entire movie she is just an idea and sometimes people don’t even remember who she was and say things like “this is best for us” completely ignoring the fact that they are not the ones most affected by the assault. And as for cassie, she is acting out of her wishes and wills and Nina, yes she is dead but still has no say in this. So it makes me think why Cassie actually waited to take revenge till after she died yk. If that was what Nina wanted why nothing has been done while she was still alive. So basically Cassie’s actions under the name of getting revenge serve no one but herself.

And about the finale, it is basically fucked up. There is nothing empowering about it. Fennel literally makes a huge point with it and says there is no hope for survivors unless you die. Like it literally sheds light on what we are told by society move on and forget about what happened that’s the only way you can be happy. There is no way to be happy if you experienced a trauma unless you forget about it or die. And Cassie died for what? a man to get arrested for the crime they committed? Does a woman always need to die for men to face the consequences of their actions that turned a woman’s life into a living hell?

Also, it makes sexual assault seem like it is only related to sex which is not it at all.

Also about the costumes, what you wear doesn’t matter when you get assaulted. So them making Cassie dress up extra chic and glamourous just says that if you don’t wanna get assaulted then don’t wear that kind of clothers.

So like from my pov it makes no difference to where the society stands about these issues and in fact, adds more power to those who think we don’t have a say in what happened to us or how we live afterwards. So basically yes it is so accurate in many ways but it is a shallow movie and does not represent what’s happening well
    edit: and also the target is not always the men as the movie trying to make it seem like

Thank you so much for putting it into words! I’m drunk af right now so I will wait until tomorrow to read it but I really appreciate it that you took the time!

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director

Profile picture
    Topics:

Not saying it reflects my opinion, but this article — which got around 3k on Twitter — was interesting: https://twitter.com/AyeshaASiddiqi/status/1379570287252021258?s=19

i actually really like that article and they explain every problematic thing about the film way better than I ever can lol

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

What time are the awards for Saturday?

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

With all due respect the point of the entire movie is that a woman shouldn’t die for her to get justice. Neither Cassie nor Nina would have died if society and the judicial system had held the rapist accountable. I feel like some people have fundamentally missed the thesis of the film: Society lets men get away with everything and tragedies unfortunately happen. Cassie couldn’t move on with her life and decided to go down a tragic road and Fennell is not setting her as an example or saying women should die for them to get justice…like what??

Profile picture
    Topics:

With all due respect the point of the entire movie is that a woman shouldn’t die for her to get justice. Neither Cassie nor Nina would have died if society and the judicial system had held the rapist accountable. I feel like some people have fundamentally missed the thesis of the film: Society lets men get away with everything and tragedies unfortunately happen. Cassie couldn’t move on with her life and decided to go down a tragic road and Fennell is not setting her as an example or saying women should die for them to get justice…like what??

and yet in her movie a woman dies to get justice…

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I will never try to discredit or challenge someone’s experience with rape/sexual assault because of this movie, that would be a very asshole-y thing to do especially because I’m male. However, the film handles its subject tastefully IN MY OPINION. I understand a lot of the criticisms of the film, but I just don’t see them in the same way as others do. I also think calling this movie a “revenge fantasy” discredits it a little bit. It’s a revenge movie, but it’s also about grief and trauma, and I think Cassie really embodies that as a character and Mulligan brings that to her performance full force. I wish that was something more people would bring up when talking about the film.

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

and yet in her movie a woman dies to get justice…

**PYW Spoiler**

She dies because that’s what she felt she had to do. The world protects these well-liked powerful men from culpability. Women have to risk their careers and well being sometimes to be able to bring attention to the thing that a lot of men get away with. PYW is definitely on the extreme end of things but Cassie was driven by her grief and obsession.

Here’s how I feel PYW is teaching us that women should not die to get justice. Cassie is a very likable character. We want her to be happy and move on with her life. We want her to get her revenge. The movie flows in a way that we get an expectation that she will succeed. Slowly she begins to take down the system that aided in her friend’s suffering. Until we get to the end. When we get the twist and it’s heartbreaking. This was not what we the audience wanted to see happen. It subverted our expectation. Our protagonist did not deserve that, however it was an outcome she was ready to face to get justice. Do we want to live in a society where Nina and Cassie get justice without tragedy? Yes, but that’s not the world we always live in and that’s the mirror it reflects on us. That’s my take.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Rising Star: Sope Dirisu (a risky pick, 5th in the GD odds, but he featured in Gangs of London in 2020 which did well, plus His House apparently was a hit on Netflix. I think winner Micheal Ward was last in the odds last year if memory serves correct.)

Oof I might go for him now. I forgot Gangs of London was such a big hit here.

I’m predicting ‘Nomadland’ of course but I think PYW is the only one that could upset it at BAFTA since it has a story which is extremely prevalent to what is going on in the UK today. Not enough people are talking about this and it’s why I also believe it will eventually take British Film over The Father.

Not only does it have a story that may resonate more due to recent events but it also performed exceptionally well in nominations and on the long-list.

Makeup: Pinocchio

Are you predicting Pinocchio at the Oscars?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

I just want to give wolfali the biggest props for putting PYW on my radar because without them I literally would have never watched it as something that could be an awards contender.

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 934 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA Film Awards 2021 Reactions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.