Home Forums Movies BAFTA Film Awards 2021 Reactions (Part 3)

BAFTA Film Awards 2021 Reactions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 935 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
boredandricho..
  • Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Meh I agree with that article and the ending thats too clever for its own good with a twist that allows viewers not to go home mad.

And honestly if both Mulligan and the director said that Mulligan was hired cuz she was the surprising choice then fuck all the rage over that article which I was originally on board with calling it out.

That being said the backlash from mulligan not getting nommed can only help PYC’s chances here.

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

I just don’t think PYW is a good movie from my experience but that doesn’t change the fact that many people think it is. That’s why it is a controversial movie after all. and I still think Mulligan gave the best performance in her category and deserves that oscar

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

So we have three Rising Star nominees in their thirties and the young ones have almost no credits. These people are not really on social media. County Lines has 180 votes on IMDb! Conrad Khan does not even have a Wikipedia article, but neither did Micheal Ward. Will a people’s choice award miraculously go to the least-famous person two years in a row? That makes no sense. It is tricky too because before last year, we had four years consecutively where they just went with whoever was appearing in blockbusters, so we are lacking recent data on how this award goes when that is not an option.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I think it’s weird that we can’t predict British Debut, but we have to predict Rising Star, which makes absolutely no sense.
    I’m going with Ben-Adir by default because I assume he’s the most “seen” of all these five. He has been cast in a Marvel show.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I just don’t think PYW is a good movie from my experience but that doesn’t change the fact that many people think it is. That’s why it is a controversial movie after all. and I still think Mulligan gave the best performance in her category and deserves that oscar

I respect your opinion and experience, but I still love the movie and stand by it being tasteful.

It’s fair to point out that films like PYW are very much my thing. PYW feels like it was tailor-made for me to love it. And maybe this doesn’t matter much, but I’m already a pretty left-wing person so I didn’t really have an issue with the film’s message.

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

If Bukky Bakray wins Rising Star I’ll attribute it to Tom Holland’s best friend telling his 100 thousand followers to vote for her yesterday.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So we have three Rising Star nominees in their thirties and the young ones have almost no credits. These people are not really on social media. County Lines has 180 votes on IMDb! Conrad Khan does not even have a Wikipedia article, but neither did Micheal Ward. Will a people’s choice award miraculously go to the least-famous person two years in a row? That makes no sense.

I’ve gone with Bukky Bakray because like Michael Ward, she’s had the most push online.

https://twitter.com/CandiceC_W/status/1380466335772196870
    https://twitter.com/TomMoutchi/status/1379728003249356803

Sope Dirisu’s show was a massive hit over here in the Spring and so was His House so I’ve put him higher in my predictions. Saint Maud (whilst more seen than Rocks) still feels too niche for Morfydd Clark to capitalise from an audience vote (look at Jessie Buckley’s filmography when she received her nomination) and whilst she was in His Dark Materials (which is a popular show over here), her role was hardly a memorable one or one that I can imagine fans of the show will go out of their way to vote for. What has Conrad Khan been in?

Kingsley Ben-Adir was in The OA and the fans of that show are wild on social media so I will have to consider him more now (I wasn’t really buying that he’d benefit from the Peaky Blinders or Vera fans voting for him) so I think it’s between him, Bakray and Dirisu. The problem I have with Ben-Adir is that he reminds me of Jack Lowden last year. Audiences have seen him in things but apart from <i>One Night in Miami </i>(which I doubt mainstream audiences have even hear of) he isn’t exactly a memorable presence nor is he playing a fan favourite character. A similar comparison would be Cush Jumbo (who ironically starred in Vera too) before she landed The Good Wife/Fight.

County Lines has 180 votes on IMDb!

This film’s release was completely f***ed up by Covid. I only managed to watch it because the distributor gave a pay what you can deal (like what BIFA have been doing with some of their screenings of these films) otherwise I’d have to pay around £15 to rent it!

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Brits, who did you guys vote for in Rising Star if you voted at all? Not that this’ll help with my predictions, I’m just curious what you guys think.

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

I voted for Kingsley Ben-Adir.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I’ve gone with Bukky Bakray because like Michael Ward, she’s had the most push online.
    https://twitter.com/CandiceC_W/status/1380466335772196870
    https://twitter.com/TomMoutchi/status/1379728003249356803

Is that a push though? The first tweet has eighty-nine likes. The second tweet is legitimate, except that Bukky Bakray’s comment on it only got six likes! And again, Bukky is inexplicably playing second fiddle with his display name being, “Kosar & Bukky for the BAFTA Win!”

I’m going with Ben-Adir by default because I assume he’s the most “seen” of all these five. He has been cast in a Marvel show.

Well, nobody has seen that show. This is basically why I have him—because I keep seeing him pop up, be it as Obama in The Comey Rule or the one that Anna Kendrick ends up with in Love Life, but these speak more to Hollywood realizing that he is a rising star as opposed to the British public. The OA is a good point. That show does have the kind of rabid fans that would mobilize for something like this. But it has been so long since The OA was cancelled and there has been no mobilization as such. He is the rising star, but you know how awards go, especially when you leave it up to the public.

I predicted Awkwafina last year on the basis that she was by far the most seen, having appeared in three blockbusters recently: Crazy Rich Asians, Jumanji and Ocean’s 8. But I guess that you cannot conflate appearing in those kinds of blockbusters that gross hundreds of millions with the Marvel and Lucasfilm blockbusters that get into the billions. I had Jack Lowden second because he seemed to fit the bill of past winners, as a young-ish white guy who had been bouncing around British film and television for a few years. At least I had Micheal Ward third instead of fifth like the odds. Ṣọpẹ Dìrísù seems to have the biggest Instagram following, followed by Conrad Khan, but Awkwafina has a hundred times more, so there is no way to predict this.

I guess that I am leaning toward switching to Dìrísù. I did move him down to fifth recently because I did not see his role in His House, as a refugee grieving his daughter, appealing to the thirsty demographic that I assume makes up the voter pool, but he has bounced back to second for me.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Just watched Rocks Bukky Bakray was awesome for a debut performance.

Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

Brits, who did you guys vote for in Rising Star if you voted at all?

Bukky Bakray.

Profile picture
    Colin Powis
    Topics:

Minari was only released here in the UK about a week ago and there’s no buzz whatsoever while Borat was released six months ago and while not well received by critics it was watched heavily on Amazon Prime

Moreover, Brits like to poke fun at the Yanks and Bakalova in BSA is the only place to reward it ..she’s also the Bookies favourite …on an intuitive hunch I’ll bet on her winning here

Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

Best Film
    Nomadland

Outstanding British Film
    Promising Young Woman

Outstanding Debut By A British Writer, Director Or Producer
    Theresa Ikoko & Claire Wilson – Rocks

Film Not In The English Language
    Another Round (Denmark)

Documentary
    My Octopus Teacher

Animated Film
    Soul

Director
    Chloé Zhao – Nomadland

Original Screenplay
    Emerald Fennell – Promising Young Woman

Adapted Screenplay
    Christopher Hampton & Florian Zeller – The Father

Leading Actress
    Bukky Bakray – Rocks

Leading Actor
    Chadwick Boseman – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Supporting Actress
    Yuh-Jung Youn – Minari

Supporting Actor
    Daniel Kaluuya – Judas and the Black Messiah

Casting
    Rocks

Cinematography
    Joshua James Richards – Nomadland

Costume Design
    Alexandra Byrne – Emma.

Editing
    Alan Baumgarten – The Trial of the Chicago 7

Make Up & Hair
    Pinocchio

Original Score
    Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross & Jon Batiste – Soul

Production Design
    Mank

Sound
    Sound of Metal

Special Visual Effects
    Tenet

British Short Animation
    The Song of A Lost Boy

British Short Film
    The Present

EE Rising Star Award
    Kingsley Ben-Adir

Profile picture
    Colin Powis
    Topics:

Nomadland is going to win B P and B D so I think they’ll spread the prizes out to someone other than Francis Mcdormand in best actress ; she won a Bafta only 3 years ago and it seems unlikely to me that they’ll reward her here as a non Brit when it’s increasing unlikely she’ll win at Oscar

It seems much more likely they’ll go for Vanessa Kirby or even Buckey as they don’t have the preferential ballot here

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 935 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA Film Awards 2021 Reactions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.