Home Forums Movies BAFTA Film Awards 2021 Reactions (Part 3)

BAFTA Film Awards 2021 Reactions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 934 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
boredandricho..
  • Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

Apparently these are the Guardian’s predictions: Best Film: The Father British Film: The Dig Director: Chloe Zhao British Debut: Rocks Film Not in the English Language: Another Round Documentary: My Octopus Teacher Animated Film: Soul Original Screenplay: The Trial of the Chicago 7 Adapted Screenplay: The Dig Actor: Anthony Hopkins Actress: Vanessa Kirby S. Actor: Daniel Kaluuya S. Actress: Maria Bakalova Music: Soul Cinematography: Mank The Guardian tend to accurately predict British Film so I am a bit perplexed as to why they’ve gone with The Dig of all things lol. Maybe they really are bored or maybe it’s going to be the Rosamund Pike of this category lol? https://twitter.com/manori_r/status/1380954254245036036

imagine if the father actually wins tho… wouldn’t change that much on nomadland’s side but still would be impressive

Profile picture
    Marrowbone
    Topics:

Can someone post The Telegraph’s ones? I don’t have a subscription, so I can’t check it out.

⭐Best Actress - Carey Mulligan

⭐Best Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I slotted The Dig down in Costume Design because whilst Emma. feel like it came out ages ago, it probably has the most memorable costumes of all those in this race and that can help in a race like this (a bit like how Baby Driver beat Dunkirk in editing).

My only worry is that then it means I’m not predicting The Dig to win anything here and that feels wrong. It was a massive hit here (bigger than some of the films nominated at the Oscars lol) and it got nominated for Adapted Screenplay (over Ma Rainey and One Night in Miami) and long-listed for Best Film, Best Actor and Director so BAFTA certainly liked it. By comparison, Emma. wasn’t even long-listed for any of its actors and missed British Film.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    restlessmao
    Topics:

If the Dig got Best British Film, would that mean Mulligan got the British votes?

I am just kidding.

Profile picture
    Topics:

Can someone post The Telegraph’s ones? I don’t have a subscription, so I can’t check it out.

Best Film
    : Nomadland

Best Director: Chloe Zhao ( should Jasmila Žbanić )

Best Actress: Bukky Bakray ( should Alfre Woodard)

Best Actor: Anthony Hopkins

Best S. Actress: Yuh-Jung Youn (should Niamh Algar )

Best S. Actor: Daniel Kaluuya ( should Paul Raci)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/baftas-2021-will-win-should-win/

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

imagine if the father actually wins tho… wouldn’t change that much on nomadland’s side but still would be impressive

It would be great for Nomadland. Don’t forget about the curse.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Personally it’s the Animated Category that makes me loosing sleep. I know Soul is the favorite but I believe Wolfwalkers is beloved in its own country and BAFTA’s are not Disney or Pixar sheeps like the Oscars. The chose Kubo and the Two Strings over Zootopia, Lego Movie over Big Hero 6 (very inspired choice) and just last year they went with Klaus over Toy Story 4.

Soul will be fine. Toy Story 4 and Big Hero 6 were not Oscar-worthy. Zootopia losing was admittedly weird, but Soul is better-positioned with its two additional nominations.

Profile picture
    Rishabh Chaturvedi
    Topics:

( should Jasmila Žbanić ) 

THIS. If only Quo Vadis, Aida? had received more nominations and wins this season, I can’t believe it’s not the outright frontrunner in International Feature Film.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Nice, I was too chicken. I hope that you get it for prognosticating reasons, but I hope that I get it so that justice can be served with a rightful winner.

I stuck with Bakray for so long but I found it harder to bet against someone in one of the most popular British TV shows of the last year and whose film is the most popular amongst the general public out of all the nominees in this category. He also had a regular roles on Humans which was a big hit over here.

Kingsley Ben-Adir and Morfydd Clark are the only ones in this category who are actual rising stars but I just can’t trust the public to actually notice that and vote for them. Like you mentioned earlier this is a people’s choice award. One Night in Miami made no dent with audiences over here and whilst Saint Maud had audience buzz, it wasn’t zeigeisty enough nor was its audience buzz focused enough on Clarke for me to actively consider her for this award (I have her last in this category and I have Ben-Adir third). They both have had recurring roles on some hit shows here but I doubt something like Vera has a strong enough fan base to propel Ben-Adir to a win and neither play fan favourites in Peaky Blinders and His Dark Materials. It also doesn’t help that Ben-Adir’s recent work has been solely on American shows that had no steam by the time they crossed the Atlantic.

So yes I buckled and went with Dirisu. I’m just glad Kosar Ali isn’t nominated in this category.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

It’s about time

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I’m just glad Kosar Ali isn’t nominated in this category.

I haven’t seen Rocks yet, is she bad in it?

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

With all due respect Gardeners World please finish.

Profile picture
    Topics:

it looks quite interesting actually. i might start watching it 💀

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I double-checked if I was on the right channel, haha.

Profile picture
    Marrowbone
    Topics:

Thank you, boredandricho!

⭐Best Actress - Carey Mulligan

⭐Best Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 934 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA Film Awards 2021 Reactions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.