Home Forums Movies BAFTA Film Awards 2021 Winners Reactions (Part 4)

BAFTA Film Awards 2021 Winners Reactions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 151 through 161 (of 161 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Oscirus_Jones
Piper Halliwell
  • Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

^^re: the BAFTA clips for PYW. It was overall a lot of Mulligan + Burnham rom-com style, but the kissing clip probably was the best clip for the scored music. There’s no dialogue so the only sound in the clip is the music itself. Good way to showcase it. Anyway, what I’m interested in is where all the people who had said “Bafta means nothing this year” went.

They don’t. They caused some doubt in actor and screenplay and tightened youn’s grip, but other than that, nothings really changed if you think about it

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jkahlo
    Topics:

I wonder if Boseman’s wife was all ready and dressep up to accept the BAFTA on his behalf only for it not to happen or if they told her before hand that he did not win so she wouldn’t bother. (I hope it’s the latter)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It can’t have helped that most of the British public have been literally unable to see a great number of the nominated films due to cinema closures and everlasting delays in online releases (BAFTA had to tweak its eligibility rules). This includes The Father, Nomadland and Promising Young Woman. (I myself have yet to see the latter two, but will finally get to watch Promising this Friday.) There is virtually no public knowledge of these films in the UK, of course no one was going to watch! It has nothing to do with the jury selections.

It feels like only 3 of the films nominated actually got releases this year lol.

I’m surprised it was only a drop of a million viewers frankly.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I wonder if Boseman’s wife was all ready and dressep up to accept the BAFTA on his behalf only for it not to happen or if they told her before hand that he did not win so she wouldn’t bother. (I hope it’s the latter)

Don’t break my heart.

Also, I hope she was told. But then why wasn’t Hopkins and McDormand briefed?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The interest really has plateaued this year due to the delay in UK releases for most of these films.

This was the lowest viewed BAFTA video last year on the BBC’s YouTube channel for Renee Zellweger’s BAFTA win (150.8k views).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR0-g7v_nUc

This is so far the highest viewed BAFTA video this year on the BBC’s YouTube channel for Yuh-jung Youn’s BAFTA win (52.6k views).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g55XTlDvDeA

On BAFTA’s own YouTube channel, Jojo Rabbit‘s win in Adapted Screenplay last year has 900.7k views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocHyf-KWekE

By comparison The Father‘s win only has 1.8k views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7siQvPv7wQU

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

The interest really has plateaued this year due to the delay in UK releases for most of these films. This was the lowest viewed BAFTA video last year on the BBC’s YouTube channel for Renee Zellweger’s BAFTA win (150.8k views). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR0-g7v_nUc This is so far the highest viewed BAFTA video this year on the BBC’s YouTube channel for Yuh-jung Youn’s BAFTA win (52.6k views). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g55XTlDvDeA On BAFTA’s own YouTube channel, Jojo Rabbit‘s win in Adapted Screenplay last year has 900.7k views. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocHyf-KWekE By comparison The Father‘s win only has 1.8k views. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7siQvPv7wQU

Your view count observations has interested me in looking into more videos. Youn’s acceptance speech at the BAFTA channel has 172k views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waKbUhBuNDM&t=3s

In comparison second place is Anthony Hopkin’s win which has 17k views. The discrepancy between her view count compared to other people’s is so interesting. Her BAFTA speech has already outviewed her SAG’s 111k view speech. The high view count indicates the general public is watching these acceptance speeches which is surprising especially for BAFTA since Minari had no buzz in the UK. I’m guessing the majority of people around the world especially in Asian countries like South Korea are watching her speeches alongside those who love Minari and get those Alan Kim videos to go viral everyday.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

She was trending on Twitter over here haha.

Hopefully with the fact her BAFTA win has seemed to become so high profile I hope that it entices more and more people to watch Minari. Especially when the cinemas open again next month.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Curious to know who do you think should have won. Lol. None of them are even at the standard of Kirby, Mcdormand, and Mulligan who they snubbed.

What rubbish. Alfre Woodard alone ended all 5 Oscar nominees this year and the last. Blank and Mosaku were also incredible and easily as good as those 3.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ignore that boogiezen user. He seems to hate black people for some reason.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

Just wanted to reflect on how good the jury picked these nominees. It sucked Carey didn’t get the bafta nomination but the way this year didn’t have a single mediocre performance nominated, unlike the past decade of white mediocrity. We wouldn’t have had brilliant performances nominated this year without a jury such as Alfre Woodard, Bukky Bakray, Niamh Algar, Paul Raci (I think).

Speaking of which… has anyone seen County Lines? I have no idea how I can view this movie lol. Curious if Ashley Madewke is any good.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Speaking of which… has anyone seen County Lines? I have no idea how I can view this movie lol. Curious if Ashley Madewke is any good.

Ashley Madekwe is heartbreaking in County Lines. Managed to see it as the distributor did a “pay what you can” screening a couple of weeks ago.

If you’re in the UK it should be available to rent on BFI Player and Curzon Home Cinema.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 151 through 161 (of 161 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.