Home Forums Movies BAFTA Film Awards 2021 Winners Reactions (Part 4)

BAFTA Film Awards 2021 Winners Reactions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 163 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Oscirus_Jones
boredandricho..
  • Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Yes Im the asshole for expecting the people voting on giving an award to something, to have knowledge on all the participants submissions.

Oh, so you’re saying that BAFTA voters only watched and/or understood (whatever that means) certain movies and ingnored others because of their inherent racial prejudice, I just want to make sure I’m precisely understanding what you’re saying, because huge, if true.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

Happy for Hopkins, Chloe and Youn!!! That speech! LOL!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Nate
    Topics:

Yep, BAFTAs are ultimately still gonna BAFTA, even with the twists offered by the new nominating system. I managed to get 72%, despite doing much worse at all other awards, just by going with what seemed most BAFTA-friendly to me (well-known Brits and, in absence of well-known Brits, whomever seemed most Oscar-likely). The biggest boosts to me seem to be for Sound of Metal in editing and My Octopus Teacher in documentary feature, building on earlier surprise wins in the season. I’m not quite ready to switch my Oscar predictions to them, but, if they do ultimately prevail, I’ll remember this moment as being pivotal.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

I’m retracting my earlier statement regarding the Best Actress race, as I’ve concluded that I’ve been overestimating the clout of the Independent Spirit Awards.

I’m now predicting a McDormand win from here on out.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Oh, so you’re saying that BAFTA voters only watched and/or understood (whatever that means) certain movies and ingnored others because of their inherent racial prejudice, I just want to make sure I’m precisely understanding what you’re saying, because huge, if true.

Understood is your words not mine.

But yes for whatever reason be it racism or just not being interested in watching a certain movie, theres a problem of voters ignoring award eligible films that has to be addressed.  I’ll leave the motives of said voters to the people who do so and baftas not the only branch with such a problem.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Awards should be juried. They should not be gamified like they are now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

Didn’t watch the ceremony, but did okay with my predictions. Most surprised about best actress. Got documentary wrong, but I really thought they would go with the Attenborough work. Had Minari for non-English, but I imagine it was close.

Not sure what this cements for the Oscars apart from maybe a huge boost to Youn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

That’s how you do a virtual awards show! Take notes, Oscars. Regal, classy, and gab-free. The “In Memoriam” segment was stunning, the musical performances were absorbing (welcome back. Corinne Bailey Rae!), and whoever those hosts were kept things moving along and relatively upbeat. It makes it all the more glaring how necessary a host is for Zoom awards shows. No major technical glitches that I noticed from the nominees, and a nice mix of in-person presenters both live and remote. Loved the individual showcases for the Rising Star nominees. Ang Lee’s tribute was great. All this show really cemented for me was how easily Carey Mulligan would have won for “Promising Young Woman” had she not been unfairly bypassed for the jury vote, and “The Father” will receive its consolation prize in Adapted Screenplay. All of thattt song-and-dance about diversity with those useless juries, and the acting winners are still all the Oscar frontrunners. Plenty of British talent recognized, yes, but they could have made history with an all-POC acting winners list if they really wanted to. The full membership clearly isn’t “there” yet and wasn’t going to be cured of its systemic racism in a calendar year, which arguably shows some jury involvement might be required moving forward, but not to the extent of this year’s nominees. The voting membership has to diversify and be replaced first. Bukky Bakray was like right there in lead actress! 4 chances to make history lol. Stay BAFTAs, BAFTAs. My gut feeling to switch Boseman for Hopkins last minute paid off well, but then I changed from Ali to Bakalova and was wrong on both counts lol. Nice telecast and acceptance speeches throughout, so well done there!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

Just realized the acting winners are even more boring than I thought.

Actor: 1 previous L/S film nominee
    He won.

Actress: 1 previous L/S film nominee
    She won.

S Actor: 1 previous L/S film nominee
    He won.

S Actress: n/a
    Increases my thought that Colman would have won if she were there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    skyes
    Topics:

I did surprisingly well, at 75th place!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

This is ridiculous: Diana Rigg was not featured in the BAFTAs “In Memoriam” section. In a statement to Variety, BAFTA said: “BAFTA’s committee considered Dame Diana Rigg to be better known for her work in TV, so she will be included in BAFTA’s TV Awards broadcast this year.”  How difficult would it have been to include her in BOTH!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Here are the identities of those juries:

Director

Pippa Harris (chair)
    Amma Asante
    Ash Atalla
    Harry Bradbeer
    Gugu Mbatha Raw
    Paul McGuigan
    Abi Morgan
    David Morrissey
    Oliver Parker
    Susanna White

Actor

Asif Kapadia (chair)
    Gemma Arterton
    Barry Ackroyd
    Andrea Calderwood
    Jina Jay
    Damian Lewis
    Alison Owen
    Pawel Pawlikowski
    Manjinder Virk
    Ashley Walters

Actress

Ade Rawcliffe (chair)
    Adjoa Andoh
    James Bobin
    Alice Eve
    Aiysha Hart
    Hong Khaou
    Kevin Loader
    Euros Lyn
    Ruth Madeley
    Lee Magiday
    Victoria Mahoney
    Cameron McCracken

Supporting Actor

Alison Thompson (Chair)
    Ella Balinska
    Thomas Benski
    Amir El-Masry
    Emilia Fox
    Janine Marmot
    Bennett Mcghee
    Clair Mundell
    Bharat Nalluri
    Fiona Shaw
    Jessica Swale

Supporting Actress

David Proud (chair)
    J Blakeson
    Priyanga Burford
    John Cannon
    Morven Christie
    Lindsey Dryden
    Lashanna Lynch
    Jason Maza
    Joanna Scanlan
    Ben Sharrock
    Polly Steele
    Nina Toussaint-White
    Paul Viragh

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    GODlore
    Topics:

This is ridiculous: Diana Rigg was not featured in the BAFTAs “In Memoriam” section. In a statement to Variety, BAFTA said: “BAFTA’s committee considered Dame Diana Rigg to be better known for her work in TV, so she will be included in BAFTA’s TV Awards broadcast this year.” How difficult would it have been to include her in BOTH!

Weird excuse considering they had no problem with having for example Cicely Tyson there, when she similarly had a much more extensive tv history than film. Can’t believe we lost these two legends in the same year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Awards should be juried.

No

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

BAFTA messed up best actress. They’re racist and their jury thing just proved to be useless. A black woman is never winning best actress at the BAFTAs.

A Lady Gaga DEVOTEE

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 163 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.