Home Forums Movies Best Actor 2019 Predictions (Part 2)

Best Actor 2019 Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 502 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Dana S.
HarmonV
  • Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I truly believe that Rami Malek was way better than Bradley Cooper, who was good but not great. I personally disliked the character Jackson Maine intensely. I did not believe he would commit suicide so the actor failed for me, since it’s his job to make me believe it and I didn’t, not at all. He had some good moments, yes, but it wasn’t a sustained great performance. Malek for me was amazing, phenomenal, the best male acting performance of 2018. Stop worrying, they will likely give it to the mediocre performance, they often do. Last year Chalamet deserved to win but they went with Oldman, it happens every year.

You’re absolutely entitled to your opinion as you’ve already stated before but this part is very problematic. First of all, I didn’t know that suicide victims always show signs or make clear that they are going to commit suicide. I have dealt with this issue because someone at my former school committed suicide. Sometimes, people just give up; there’s nothing left for them, it strikes them like a lightning bolt. Cooper’s character was already on a downward spiral the entire movie and to me it always clear that something terrible was going to happen. Whenever someone uses alcohol or drugs to deal with problems it’s a big warning sign. Because it means you’re suppressing all your emotions instead of dealing with them directly. Not to mention, he had absolutely no support. To an extent, he had Ally, but even she wasn’t there enough for him. When her manager approached him and told him to get out of her life, that was it for him; that was the lightning bolt. Also, sometimes people themselves don’t understand that they’re committing suicide; part of you has already died before you commit the act.

I don’t know if we watched the same movie or to what extent you understand the mindset of suicide victims, but part of your comment is downright insulting and disrespectful. I actually agree with a lot that you say, but not this.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I get really tired of this “hate” thing. I like Bradley Cooper and thought he was good but not great in the role. I just disagree with his winning, doesn’t mean he won’t win. I prefer other actors this year. Why are people so intolerant and fearful of others opinions? The childish behavior of ignoring someone who disagrees with you is really sad. And I do know all about suicide victims, and stop brow-beating me with responses that try to tell me I am “wrong”. There is no right or wrong. If you love his performance, fine, but stop insisting that everyone else feel the same way you do. I have been involved with alcoholics/drug addicts in my life and know all about it. So just stop telling me that my opinion isn’t valid. Yours is valid and so is mine. Instead of telling me how wrong I am how about just expressing your opinion and laying out the case for why you think his performance is the best? He is likely going to win so lots of people agree with you. I am still holding out hope for a Rami Malek victory as I believe he gives the best performance by an actor in 2018.

I may have not explained my dislike of the suicide scene; I think it was very badly directed and badly acted. There was too much distance when what was needed was direct experience. I feel that they soft-pedaled it.

I really came on here to talk about the fifth slot, as I truly believe there are now four locks: Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Rami Malek and Viggo Mortensen.

I now think there are only 3 actors left that are viable for the fifth slot: Ethan Hawke, John David Washington and Ryan Gosling.

Hawke has been winning all of the critics prizes but his movie is small, hasn’t been seen my a ton of people, and he is a New York actor. He gives a great performance in a so-so movie.

John David Washington is very likeable in BlacKKKlansman. He has going for him that he is Denzel’s son, his movie will get a BP nomination, and they could give him his first nomination thinking it’s the beginning of a big career. But his performance isn’t all that great and that would be his achilles heel. His SAG nomination definitely helps his chances.

Ryan Gosling’s movie has been sinking, but he’s very well liked in the industry, he has going for him what I call the older white men academy voter thing, and I think First Man appeals to them. I am not counting him out of the race.

I think Hawke will get enough passion votes to give him the fifth slot so I am predicting him, at least for now.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I never had a problem with your opinion about Cooper’s performance as a whole, but the suicide comment kind of triggered me. I didn’t say you were wrong, I just expressed my opinion, which is that I found that one comment very problematic. That’s also just an opinion 😉 I never said yours was invalid or incorrect, all I did was question it.

Anonymous
    Topics:

A performance is not just the product of the person portraying the character. It’s a combination of script, direction, sometimes editing as well. A Star is Born is a flawed film, despite half the people on social media raving about it. The film low-key failed to convince the viewer about the heavy and genuine nature of the love between those 2 people, and yes, failed to anticipate that there was a suicide on the horizon. I found the suicide too much, but that’s maybe just a script/artistic choice. My point is it’s not really Cooper that failed, but it is mainly a script problem. I’m not stanningly defending him. His character imo went on a much bigger journey than Gaga’s and I think he did a great job throughout the movie. He went from sober to alcoholic and then clean of addiction. Singer to a man in love. Happy to a man of frustration and desperation. The pee-ing scene in the movie was such a great acting showcase for him imo, as funny as it may sound.
    Does he deserve to win imo? No
    Does he have the strongest narrative? Yes

Anonymous
    Topics:

Calling Bradley Cooper’s a mediocre performance is just being ignorant. You don’t need to insult an actor’s work just because you stan another one. That’s childish and not proper in a serious discussion. I won’t be like you and I’ll say I didn’t dislike Malek but, in my opinion, Cooper was much more believable, raw, convincing and definitely gave his career-best performance. He will be a fully deserving Oscar winner.

OR, stay with me here, but maybe, just freaking MAYBE, FreemanGriffin is expressing his sincere subjective opinion and the ignorant ones are you and the 10 crazed stans who liked your comment, who strangely feel the need to insult others for disagreeing with you about a subjective work of art such as an actors performance? People having their own opinions and not insulting others for disagreeing, wacky idea, I know right?

https://media.giphy.com/media/6Nv7BdrUl6Psc/giphy.gif

BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

And I do know all about suicide victims

imagine being ignorant enough to say that, smh

OneAndOnlyMe.
    Participant
    Topics:

That last spot is killing me. Dafoe, Hawke, Washington, or Gosling?

Anonymous
    Topics:

That last spot is killing me. Dafoe, Hawke, Washington, or Gosling?

Just stick with Globe and SAG nominee for the most likely Best Picture nominee of the bunch who also happens to be the son of a 2-time Oscar winner who also does the best “white voice” impression of the past few years in cinema, Mr. John David Washington. Don’t overthink it dude.

AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I still think Hawke, barring Washington showing up at BAFTA, which would bake the cake for him. With Dafoe and Gosling trailing.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

jasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

I get really tired of this “hate” thing. Why are people so intolerant and fearful of others opinions? The childish behavior of ignoring someone who disagrees with you is really sad. And I do know all about suicide victims, and stop brow-beating me with responses that try to tell me I am “wrong”. There is no right or wrong. So just stop telling me that my opinion isn’t valid. Yours is valid and so is mine.

Perhaps your words are coming across as “hate” to some because you literally repeat the same thing over and over and over and over again. All the time. If you said you didn’t like ASIB/Cooper/Gaga once or twice, then I’m sure you wouldn’t receive so much backlash. I really don’t understand the reasoning behind you having to repeat yourself so much. That’s what makes you look so hateful and irritating and relentless.

And it’s not just with ASIB, it’s EVERYTHING. I don’t know how many times this year I’ve had to read that Rami Malek should be winning, that Mahershala Ali and Timothée Chalamet should be nominated LEAD instead of supporting, that Toni Collette didn’t give a good performance but Melanie Theirry gave the best performance this year in Memoir of War. That, based on the trailers, Regina King should win over Amy Adams, even though you didn’t see either movie..

And I don’t say this to mock you, I’m just giving you examples of things I’ve seen you say probably 20 times 20 different ways on 20 different threads. The repetition, especially with more negative opinions, just seems insufferable and obsessive. Giving me flashbacks to the 101 ways you had to complain about Three Billboards last year. Now that’s childish behavior.

And nobody has called you “wrong” for your opinions. I just looked back. Nobody, at least very recently, has used that word. Just you. Also, nobody calls your opinions “invalid.” That’s you making things up again. All people are doing is countering your argument with their own, which is kind of what goes on here. If you can’t handle people coming back at you after you’ve just said something 100 times, then maybe take a break or something. I don’t know.

You’re the only one writing huge essays on the definition of an opinion every time someone disagrees with you, so maybe you’re really the one who needs to understand that EVERYONE, not just you, can have their own opinion. Even if it goes against yours. And if that’s not the case, and I’ve missed the mark completely on this one, then my bad. But you just appear way more “intolerant” and “fearful” of other opinions than anyone else here.

And again, not trying to criticize. Just trying to provide some insight because you seem to be having trouble understanding where others are coming from. Maybe this has helped. Maybe this has done more damage. Not sure. But. Time will tell…

moviefan617
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still going with Hawke because it seems like the passion is there. Driver seems like the most likely acting nomination for “BlacKkKlansman,” assuming you subscribe to the belief that a major contender for Picture needs at least one acting nomination. Washington prevailing at SAG definitely made me reconsider his position, but I’d still put him sixth behind Hawke. Dafoe and Gosling are seventh and eighth, and minus one of them showing up at BAFTA (or a wildcard Globes win for Dafoe), they’re out of the race for an Oscars nomination. It’s Hawke and Washington for the last slot right now, unless BAFTA goes for neither and gives us a wildcard pick.

Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

This race has gotten very interesting.

Frontrunners

Christian Bale, Vice
    Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born

Could win

Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

Next in line

Viggo Mortensen, Green Book
    Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
    John David Washington, BlacKkKlansman

On the brink

Willem Dafoe, At Eternity’s Gate
    Ryan Gosling, First Man

Possibilities

Lucas Hedges, Boy Erased
    Robert Redford, The Old Man and the Gun

Dark horses

Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mary Poppins Returns
    Ben Foster, Leave No Trace
    John C. Reilly, Stan and Ollie
    Chadwick Boseman, Black Panther
    Joaquin Phoenix, You Were Never Really Here
    Stephan James, If Beale Street Could Talk
    Hugh Jackman, The Front Runner

Theoretical possibilities

Brady Jandreau, The Rider
    Lakeith Stanfield, Sorry to Bother You
    Clint Eastwood, The Mule
    Nick Robinson, Love, Simon
    Steve Carell, Beautiful Boy
    Lucas Hedges, Ben Is Back
    Paul Coogan, Stan and Ollie
    Joaquin Phoenix, The Sisters Brothers
    Steve Carell, Welcome to Marwen
    Ben Mendelsohn, The Land of Steady Habits

Thomas Eagan
    Participant
    Topics:

I think this race is wide open. Cooper, Bale, Malek or Viggo could win this. Open it up to 5 if Ethan Hawke gets nominated. Another really exciting race.

AWDubay
    Participant
    Topics:

This race has gotten very interesting.

Frontrunners

Christian Bale, Vice
    Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born

Could win

Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

Next in line

Viggo Mortensen, Green Book
    Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
    John David Washington, BlacKkKlansman

On the brink

Willem Dafoe, At Eternity’s Gate
    Ryan Gosling, First Man

Possibilities

Lucas Hedges, Boy Erased
    Robert Redford, The Old Man and the Gun

Dark horses

Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mary Poppins Returns
    Ben Foster, Leave No Trace
    John C. Reilly, Stan and Ollie
    Chadwick Boseman, Black Panther
    Joaquin Phoenix, You Were Never Really Here
    Stephan James, If Beale Street Could Talk
    Hugh Jackman, The Front Runner

Theoretical possibilities

Brady Jandreau, The Rider
    Lakeith Stanfield, Sorry to Bother You
    Clint Eastwood, The Mule
    Nick Robinson, Love, Simon
    Steve Carell, Beautiful Boy
    Lucas Hedges, Ben Is Back
    Paul Coogan, Stan and Ollie
    Joaquin Phoenix, The Sisters Brothers
    Steve Carell, Welcome to Marwen
    Ben Mendelsohn, The Land of Steady Habits

i would add Viggo to the could win pile .

Andrewsart.etsy.com

Check out my online store 🙂

Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

i would add Viggo to the could win pile .

I need receipts of his capability to win to make that move.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Best Actor 2019 Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.