Home Forums Movies Best Actor 2019

Best Actor 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 505 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
Marcus.H
Andrew D
Luca Giliberti
  • Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Mortensen (I just have a weird incling that he could miss while Ali gets a nom like Taraji P Henson & Octavia Spencer in Hidden Figures)

Mortensen’s performance seems too highly praised and transformative for that. Besides, him being the sole nominee for his film on two occasions then missing out for a major Best Picture contender would be very weird. Unless Bale ends up blowing the competition to pieces, I’d say Mortensen is at least in 2nd place for the win.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

People sleeping on Ethan Hawke. When he is the biggest Lock. After he wins Gotham, NBR and the Independent Spirit Award, they all gonna pretend to be Shocked. First Reformed is A24’s número uno this year.

I can’t believe he’s never won an Oscar.

Emmy voters must bend the knee to Lena Headey & Emilia Clarke for "Game of Thrones." It's their last chance to award them. Make it happen.

Marco11
    Participant
    Topics:

People sleeping on Ethan Hawke. When he is the biggest Lock.
    After he wins Gotham, NBR and the Independent Spirit Award, they all gonna pretend to be Shocked.

First Reformed is A24’s número uno this year.

Come on, have you seen the movie? He’s great and would make a magnificent winner, but the movie is not the kind of thing that gets much recognition at the Oscars and it’s not the typical performance you nominated there. He has a slight chance but calling it a lock sounds so unwise. I really hope you’ll prove me wrong!

M Bocioaca
    Participant
    Topics:

Bale looks like Chevy Chase a lot, but also like Darrell Hammond on SNL. No idea why the didn’t get him to do it.

https://youtu.be/vX1sr2_Eqng

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    OneAndOnlyMe.
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I could see Hawke slipping in.</p>

AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Malek doesn’t even “own” a spot at the Globes.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

Anonymous
    Topics:
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

my friend saw the queen movie across the pond and said while Malek is ‘committed’, it is some serious heterowashing bullshit. Basically Freddie’s queer lifestyle = his demise and the sentiment is very ‘oh, if only you had stayed in a loving hetero relationship and with your safe bandmates, and didn’t go to the dark side’. By the time he starts living his ‘authentic self’ (literally somehow magically happens the day of Live Aid) the movie is over. She said the movie was ‘revisionist bullshit with homophobia woven into it’.

I’m gonna wait to see the film to give my judgement (though I won’t be paying for it). However, I’ve been telling people this for years. Hollyweird is full of “queers”. But perhaps the majority- both closeted and open- contend with internalized homophobia or hetero worship, or are megalomaniacs (if not flat-out predators), or they don’t genuinely believe in a “gay lifestyle” or genuinely believe in same-sex love and commitment. That’s partly why we keep seeing the same type of “queer stories” being told, why we keep seeing a de-gaying of characters and real life figures, and why we keep seeing a lack of non dysfunctional same-sex couples on screen.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I just wanted to draw attention to Marcello Fonte in Dogman which I saw last week but hadn’t got round to mentioning. He won Best Actor at Cannes in May and it’s the best male lead performance I’ve seen all year. He shares a first name with his character which is fitting because he completely embodies the role of the meek, diminutive Marcello, there is not a trace of performance in it. Yet his face and body language are so expressive. Edoardo Pesce would also make a great supporting actor contender as Marcello’s terrorisingly brutish “friend” Simone. I don’t think the film is Oscar-eligible outside of the Foreign Film category (it’s Italy’s submission) as its US release isn’t until 2019, but I almost hope it doesn’t get nominated so Fonte can be eligible for contention next year. Yes I know it’ll never happen.

EDIT: Fun fact: Marcello Fonte was an uncredited extra in Martin Scorsese’s Gangs of New York.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Eddy Q.
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

Are we just gonna have all super dramatic performances this year? Are the guys from “Green Book” the only (kind of) considerations outside of drama?

Some push for Hawke would not hurt. His only nomination for all these years should not be just for “Boyhood”.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Are we just gonna have all super dramatic performances this year? Are the guys from “Green Book” the only (kind of) considerations outside of drama? Some push for Hawke would not hurt. His only nomination for all these years should not be just for “Boyhood”.

He has a screenplay nom for before midnight in 2013 as well

wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

He has another nomination except Boyhood. The one I consider one of the biggest category frauds in the history. For Training Day. Lad should have been also nominated last year. For Maudie. He and Salamander Hawkins should have both been winners for that movie.

I thought he hadn’t been nominated given he was not in lead. They went and placed him in supporting?!?! How 2018 of the Oscars to do that in 2002!

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Best Actor 2019’ is closed to new replies.