Home Forums Movies Best Actor for 2020 Oscars (Part 2)

Best Actor for 2020 Oscars (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 489 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +22 hidden )
replies
views
users
Babygirl
thatnerdgreg
Hammad Asif
  • deaetee
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope Taron Egerton gets nominated. He was truly Oscar worthy. IMO more worthy than Rami Malek in Bohemian Tragedy.

JakeT
    Participant
    Topics:

I remember hearing awhile back that Bombshell wasn’t well received in test screenings. If that’s true, the that puts and end to Robbie’s status as a possible upset.

Was that in the BA thread? If this is what you’re referring to, sources were requested and not provided so I’m not sure the test screenings being poorly received is accurate.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

GD Thread doubting and being against Joaquin’s immensely deserving Best Actor win is actually good luck for him.

Whoever you guys are against in majority always win or at least recently.

I never said about Cooper being lock,there were better performances last year Bale,Gosling,Joaquin,Hawke.

Yeah, that’s one of the reasons I don’t have OUATIH, Driver, or Zellweger winning Picture, Actor, and Actress respectively. The early favorite always seems to lose in those categories. (And yes I do consider Driver the early favorite over Phoenix right now.)

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Joker
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Joker

LLLhawks
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t wait for these movies to show here. Just saw Ad Astra and I know it’s not happening but Pitt was soo good in that one.

Next up is Joker i think, and I’ll just wait for Marriage Story to show on Netflix.

I just love movies. And awards.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, that’s one of the reasons I don’t have OUATIH, Driver, or Zellweger winning Picture, Actor, and Actress respectively. The early favorite always seems to lose in those categories. (And yes I do consider Driver the early favorite over Phoenix right now.)

I actual think Phoenix will suffer from being the early favorite. People were all over him at first, but now it’s Driver who’s getting all the attention. I said before, Phoenix has more than a few factors going against him (genre bias, he’s seen as unlikable, his film is divisive, the role’s already won to name a few). I don’t know how much all that’s gonna hurt him, but it’s gonna hurt him at least a little bit.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I actual think Phoenix will suffer from being the early favorite. People were all over him at first, but now it’s Driver who’s getting all the attention. I said before, Phoenix has more than a few factors going against him (genre bias, he’s seen as unlikable, his film is divisive, the role’s already won to name a few). I don’t know how much all that’s gonna hurt him, but it’s gonna hurt him at least a little bit.

Based on TIFF poles, critics reviews, and the fact that his Oscar buzz started sooner, I think Driver became a frontrunner before Phoenix did: his film wasn’t even really an Oscar contender until after Venice. That’s why I called him the early frontrunner. Phoenix is giving me Malek vibes as the one highly praised aspect of a highly divisive film, and then when that film became a Picture contender that actor turned into the frontrunner, which is why I think he will win in the end, among many other reasons.. Plus, Driver does have a couple big disadvantages: he’s a very young and new star who’s win might not be overdue enough and may have his win be put off, and he’s also a co-lead with Johansson in a category that usually only rewards sole leads.

For Your Consideration.

Marcel
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on TIFF poles, critics reviews, and the fact that his Oscar buzz started sooner, I think Driver became a frontrunner before Phoenix did: his film wasn’t even really an Oscar contender until after Venice. That’s why I called him the early frontrunner. Phoenix is giving me Malek vibes as the one highly praised aspect of a highly divisive film, and then when that film became a Picture contender that actor turned into the frontrunner, which is why I think he will win in the end, among many other reasons.. Plus, Driver does have a couple big disadvantages: he’s a very young and new star who’s win might not be overdue enough ;and may have his win be put off, and he’s also a co-lead with Johansson in a category that usually only rewards sole leads.

Does the same not Apply to Rami Malek? He was 37 when he won, Driver will be 36 if he wins. Eddie Redmayne was 33 and much less overdue than Michael Keaton.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  Marcel.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  Marcel.
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on TIFF poles, critics reviews, and the fact that his Oscar buzz started sooner, I think Driver became a frontrunner before Phoenix did: his film wasn’t even really an Oscar contender until after Venice. That’s why I called him the early frontrunner. Phoenix is giving me Malek vibes as the one highly praised aspect of a highly divisive film, and then when that film became a Picture contender that actor turned into the frontrunner, which is why I think he will win in the end, among many other reasons.. Plus, Driver does have a couple big disadvantages: he’s a very young and new star who’s win might not be overdue enough and may have his win be put off, and he’s also a co-lead with Johansson in a category that usually only rewards sole leads.

You are right about co-lead factor but I don’t think age will resist Driver’s win.

He is terrific actor,an former nominee and in very Oscar bait movie and role.This decade Malek and Redmayne won on their 1st roles in their 30s.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Does the same not Apply to Rami Malek? He was 37 when he won, Driver will be 36 if he wins. Eddie Redmayne was 33 and much less overdue than Michael Keaton.

You’re right about Redmayne and Malek, but this award does seem to go to a veteran more often than not. Just in the last 10 years we had Gary Oldman, Casey Affleck, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matthew McConaughhay, Daniel Day Lewis, Colin Firth, and Jeff Bridges win the award, as well as Jean Dujardin, who was a veteran of French cinema. So I think Malek and Redmayne are the exception, not the rule.

For Your Consideration.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

GD Thread doubting and being against Joaquin’s immensely deserving Best Actor win is actually good luck for him.

Whoever you guys are against in majority always win or at least recently.

I never said about Cooper being lock,there were better performances last year Bale,Gosling,Joaquin,Hawke.

This is so true. GD was against Malek and he swept easy.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Eddie Redmayne had been slaving around for years, usually wearing a codpiece or playing a psycho killer before his win, which was fairly oscar-baity.

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Adam has worked with many prestige directors already (Scorsese, Spike Lee, Clint Eastwood, Spielberg, Soderbergh, Coen Brothers etc)

He’s 35 and already has credentials (& Oscar/Emmy/Tony noms)

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  Seven.
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved Driver in The Dead Dont Die as well. He’s so deadpan.
    Nice work from Jarmusch.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved Driver in The Dead Dont Die as well. He’s so deadpan. Nice work from Jarmusch.

Driver was good, but man was that film boring. You can’t have every single element of a movie be dry.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Eddie Redmayne had been slaving around for years, usually wearing a codpiece or playing a psycho killer before his win, which was fairly oscar-baity.

Fairly Oscar-baity is understating. The reason he won was because it was such a blatantly baity part.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 489 total)

The topic ‘Best Actor for 2020 Oscars (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.