Home Forums Movies Best Actor for 2020 Oscars (Part 2)

Best Actor for 2020 Oscars (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 489 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +22 hidden )
replies
views
users
Babygirl
thatnerdgreg
Hammad Asif
  • JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, I’m devastated but I won’t be in this race. It’s been a pleasure. Take care!

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/television/2019-emmy-awards-ceremony-reactions-part-4/page/7/#post-1203097801

lol wow. Good for you to stick to your word. Bye!

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1176480878563926019?s=20

This is going to be one crazy award season.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Can someone enlighten me on why Pryce, Banderas and De Niro are being so actively predicted for noms? I honestly don’t see how The Two Popes will be a priority at all of Netflix, Pain and Glory is a foreign language performance and De Niro has played this role countless times and I just don’t see it being a factor in the acting race.. Driver, Phoenix and possibly Leo seem realistic, but I don’t understand those other three at all. There are much more inspired choices and narratives behind Bale, Kaluuya, Egerton, Murphy, Sandler, etc.

Well Pryce and Banderas gave critically acclaimed performances. They are also highly respected veterans who have never received an Oscar nomination before, so they have that narrative going for them. I can’t speak for De Niro since we don’t know how his film or performance was received. However, given it’s the first time he’s working with Martin Scorcese in a long time, and the movie has a pretty decent amount of hype surrounding it, I understand why people are predicting him. I have Pryce and Banderas in my lineup right now, but not De Niro.

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

Phoenix’s head must be exploding now lol dealing with all this BS. If I were him, I would call it a day and leave all this mess behind!

That being said, Phoenix needs to overcome a lot, A LOT of aspects obstructing his way to the Oscar. If he pulls through, he will be the most memorable best actor winner in this dull decade!

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah thats not good. If they keep speaking out that will hurt the film’s chances in other categories.

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah thats not good. If they keep speaking out that will hurt the film’s chances in other categories.

Netflix is becoming new Harvey Weinstein in terms of whisper campaign.Adam Driver is most favorite after Joaquin in Joker and Driver is certainly Marriage Story’s strongest part which happens to be movie Netflix is pushing most this season.I could be totally wrong about this though.

Also world these days is over sensitive.Dangerous and thought provoking movies don’t pan out favorable with critics and audiences these days.

I wonder what would have had happened if a masterpiece like Taxi Driver came out in these times.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  Hammad Asif.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  Hammad Asif.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I find it interesting how Taxi Driver (which is one of Joker’s main influences) lost Actor to Network, which also took home Actress, S. Actress and Original Screenplay. Maybe history might repeat itself lol.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Adam Driver is most favorite after Joaquin in Joker

Didn’t you say he was the frontrunner the other day though?

JakeT
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure that the film being divisive is necessarily what’ll derail the campaign for Joaquin. To me, it’ll me an accumulation of small incidents. The walking out on an interview because he didn’t like the question, this letter. The season has barely begun – there will be more. Driver is a cleaner winner – no drama, no backlash.

Hector Raskolnikov
    Participant
    Topics:

Taxi Driver would be massacred by woke critics if it came out today. No doubt about this. That ending would triggered a lot of people.

Would be something like this: “omg he is celebrating Travis, painting this toxic white man as a hero? ugh, that’s gross, so irresponsible!!.”

A Clockwork Orange would have even worse reactions. At the time it already was very controversial, so, imagine today, in the sensitive era?

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh for…#@$*¥

H. H.
    Participant
    Topics:

This is beginning to feel like hysteria. Artistic expression should never be controlled even if it makes one uncomfortable. Censoring art won’t make violence go away in real life. They can sanitize Joker all they want it still won’t stop crazy people with easy access to guns.  If filmmakers couldn’t delve into these dark aspects of life cinema would be so boring in its perfectly safe choices. The Joker is not a hero, he’s an evil sociopath and nobody is supposed to relate to him.

Emil Petrov
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Aaron Paul eligible for El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie? Will the movie be eligible for movie awards or it will be at the Emmys?

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Aaron Paul eligible for El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie? Will the movie be eligible for movie awards or it will be at the Emmys?

It’s technically eligible, since it’s getting a limited theatrical release, but I would have to guess they will go for the Emmys next year, since that’s where Breaking Bad won all its awards and was very well loved. Plus Netflix has bigger priorities for the Oscars this year.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Joker
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Joker

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Netflix is becoming new Harvey Weinstein in terms of whisper campaign.Adam Driver is most favorite after Joaquin in Joker and Driver is certainly Marriage Story’s strongest part which happens to be movie Netflix is pushing most this season.I could be totally wrong about this though.

Also world these days is over sensitive.Dangerous and thought provoking movies don’t pan out favorable with critics and audiences these days.

I wonder what would have had happened if a masterpiece like Taxi Driver came out in these times.

There is still a lot of time. We will see if it is just a one day headline or if they run a campaign against it.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 489 total)

The topic ‘Best Actor for 2020 Oscars (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.