Home Forums Movies Best Actor for 2020 Oscars (Part 2)

Best Actor for 2020 Oscars (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 434 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Babygirl
thatnerdgreg
Hammad Asif
  • Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

^
    Likely, but he has Billy Ray as one of the writers, and he IS Clint. Plus he has his Oscar winning cinematographer back. Plus that cast.
    Hesitant to count the film out just yet.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

And how exactly do you know I haven’t seen it? D you live with me or something? So instead of being so sure of myself, I’ll ask you a question in return? Have you seen Joaquin’s performance?

It’s pretty simple math. Given the fact that Marriage Story hasn’t been released yet, with only people at film festivals getting to watch it, its statistically more likely that you haven’t seen it. The fact that you insulted a critically acclaimed performance by saying no one will remember it made it seem like you haven’t seen Driver, as most people who saw Marriage Story seem quite taken with his work. Also, your response doesn’t help your case. Instead of saying that you did see Driver’s performance, you randomly questioned me about if I’ve seen Phoenix’s, even though my comment made no mention of him, and certainly didn’t imply that I saw his performance.

To answer your question, no I haven’t seen Joaquin’s performance. I also haven’t seen Driver’s. There’s lots of performances I haven’t seen yet, since like most people, I have to wait for a film’s wide release to watch it. I look forward to seeing both Driver and Phoenix’s much talked about performances, and I plan to root for whoever I believe is best. Whether its Driver, Phoenix, or another contender.

Profile picture
    Joseph
    Topics:
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I don’t understand why some people can’t be excited by both performances (and others) without insulting the other. I haven’t seen either, will see both, and hope to be amazed by both Phoenix and Driver. I’ll probably have a preference but it doesn’t diminish the other. I find it so strange that people are so aggressively in favour of one without having seen both. Chill, guys.

I agree with this. My guess is that I’ll like Phoenix’s performance more than Driver’s, but both Actors are great and super deserving, and I’d be happy to see either of them win an Oscar this year.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    JakeT
    Topics:

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/robert-de-niro-accused-unwanted-physical-contact-verbal-abuse-ex-n1061921 Could this affect DeNiro’s chance of a nomination?

If he doesn’t get a nomination I think it’ll have more to do with Pacino and Pesci being the most praised of the cast than this.

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

L o l

Driver’s resumé and award nominations tally is way bigger than Robbie’s

Adam prior to Marriage Story : Oscar, Globe, SAG, BAFTA, Emmy, Tony nominee

Margot prior to I, Tonya : BAFTA Rising Star

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by Seven.
    Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

Joaquin’s performance as Joker just might be 2019’s best film performance,lead or supporting.

Wow,it still is in my mind perfectly.

Kubrick-Tarkovsky-Scorsese-Bergman-Bresson-Kurosawa

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Y’all acting like Driver is a nobody when he’s worked with prestige directors like Martin Scorsese, Spike Lee and The Coen Brothers and is starring in one of the biggest film franchises.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

What I meant is that she has an acclaimed performance and was straight up a frontrunner for the nomination but was never winning because it wasn’t her time. I think Driver is not any different.

No she wasnt. Saorise and Sally were way ahead of her at that time.

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Adam Driver probably wins. Joker’s critical reception is getting worse and while it has its supporters, the detractors will be very strong. Driver has the film and the performance to back him up.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

If he doesn’t get a nomination I think it’ll have more to do with Pacino and Pesci being the most praised of the cast than this.

Pacino is definitely the most praised but Pesci getting more praise than De Niro is debatable. They both seem to be getting about equal praise.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

Lol y’all so fragile! Who talked about resumé and awards nominations? What I meant is that she has an acclaimed performance and was straight up a frontrunner for the nomination but was never winning because it wasn’t her time.[b] I think Driver is not any different.[/b]

But he is LMAO

You don’t know whether it’s his time or not. Given that he got raves for his performance and his movie will be a big player (not to mention the backlash his main competitor is receiving) it might just be his time

You comparing him to Robbie (who was in 4th place at best that year so no, she was never winning) and being so loud and confident about him losing is nonsense given that they’re on very distinct levels at this point. He has already received acclaim in all three acting industries but should somehow be compared to a first time nominee because ?

Profile picture
    Dee Dee Blanchard
    Topics:

Little angels, I puked just after watching Phoenix’s performance. Truly bad and cringe-worthy. Heath Ledger’s shadow is too large.

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Few thought it was Adrien Brody’s time either.
    By the 11th hour sh_t happens.

As for Robbie, she’s still my MVP for Once Upon a Time…
    Guess we’ll see ‘re Bombshell

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

Y’all acting like Driver is a nobody when he’s worked with prestige directors like Martin Scorsese, Spike Lee and The Coen Brothers and is starring in one of the biggest film franchises.

+ Eastwood, Spielberg, Soderbergh etc. Like, please

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 434 total)

The topic ‘Best Actor for 2020 Oscars (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.