Home Forums Movies Best Actor for 2020 Oscars (Part 2)

Best Actor for 2020 Oscars (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 489 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +22 hidden )
replies
views
users
Babygirl
thatnerdgreg
Hammad Asif
  • Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

I also doubt Leonardo gets nominated he’s not undeniable for this performance. Remember he has already been snubbed… shamelessly.

If Brad and Tarantino get noms and OUAIH makes best picture which is predicted. Then, despite it not being his most showy or best performance, he’ll most likely receive a coattail nomination

LLLhawks
    Participant
    Topics:

LOL!!!

Locks rn are Phoenix and DiCaprio. Driver is most likely getting in. Everybody else is just waiting for more hype.

I just love movies. And awards.

Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

LOL!!!

Locks rn are Phoenix and DiCaprio. Driver is most likely getting in. Everybody else is just waiting for more hype.

I think Driver is the closest thing to a lock. Leo is definitely vulnerable and Joker is a wildcard. In general I think it’s too early to start proclaiming who the locks are. We only have the opinions of a few festival goers and a handful of critics to go on. For now I feel good about Marriage Story’s nomination chances in Picture, Screenplay, Actor, Actress, and Supporting Actress.

My personal Top 10 of the 2019 so far:
    1) Parasite 2) The Farewell 3) Joker 4) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 5) The Peanut Butter Falcon 6) Marriage Story 7) Luce 8) Yesterday 9) Hotel Mumbai 10) Avengers: Endgame

Marcel
    Participant
    Topics:

Experts here on GD are now putting Joaquin at #1 in their list as per latest update. Absolutely Brilliant.

I feel bad for that one guy who used to use expert predictions in his vendetta against joker and Joaquin lol

Now it’s back to normal: if you look at the latest 10 experts to update their predictions, J. Phoenix is only placed 1st by one person.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Marcel.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Marcel.
    Scorsesefan
    Participant
    Topics:

I think this will be Adam Sandler’s moment to get his first nomination, and will probably be the only nomination for Uncut Gems. Well that and maybe Sound Mixing since people have been talking about the sound design.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I think this will be Adam Sandler’s moment to get his first nomination, and will probably be the only nomination for Uncut Gems. Well that and maybe Sound Mixing since people have been talking about the sound design.

Adam Sandler won’t be breaking into this race. The best he can do is get a Golden Globe nomination if his film submits as a comedy. There already too many other contenders who are more respected, gave better received performances, and are appearing in bigger films than Uncut Gems.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Around 322 people voted for this TIFF survey on Indiewire and for the Best Performance at TIFF category, Adam Driver was ranked as #1 and Joaquin Phoenix was #2.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/tiff-2019-critics-survey-toronto-best-films-performances-parasite-adam-driver-1202174083/

BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

Around 322 people voted for this TIFF survey on Indiewire and for the Best Performance at TIFF category, Adam Driver was ranked as #1  

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Around 322 people voted for this TIFF survey on Indiewire and for the Best Performance at TIFF category, Adam Driver was ranked as #1 and Joaquin Phoenix was #2. https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/tiff-2019-critics-survey-toronto-best-films-performances-parasite-adam-driver-1202174083/

J. Lo being the only actress in the top 5 for that survey… wow. ScarJo didn’t even get a nomination for Marriage Story.

Also Adam Sandler being top 5 is interesting. I don’t think he’ll get nominated because of how intense and confronting that movie apparently is, but he does seem campaignable.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Actor: Robert Pattison - The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Do my forum games!

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/games-lets-play-games/72nd-oscars-runner-up-5-elimination-

Marcel
    Participant
    Topics:

Driver = Richard E. Grant = Critics’ pick Phoenix = Mahershala Ali = industry’s pick. I thought it was pretty obvious.

Lol but many times “critics” picks prevailed. I bet everyone wanted Glenn Close to finally win her first Oscar. In the end, less popular but critic’s choice Olivia Colman took the prize

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Driver = Richard E. Grant = Critics’ pick Phoenix = Mahershala Ali = industry’s pick. I thought it was pretty obvious.

Except Mahershala was part of a film that was a stronger contender for Best Picture, Can You Ever Forgive Me was never going to be a bigger priority to the Academy.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Olivia Colman was a critic favourite and won over Glenn Close who had the perfect overdue narrative and was a more well known actress. Let’s not forget about Regina King either.

Marcel
    Participant
    Topics:

There is also the Rami Malek case sweetheart. I don’t remember him being the critics’ pick, the rest is history.

Okay, but if foi look at previous editions you will see there’s no “pattern”. Sometimes people’s favourite win, sometimes not. It’s unpredictable. I doubt most people rooted for Casey Affleck a few years ago, yet he took the prize home. He even had a lot of hatred towards him due to sexual harrasment accusations. Denzel Washingon immensely more popular and charismatic lost. And also Ryan Gosling for the mega hit La la Land

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Okay, but if foi look at previous editions you will see there’s no “pattern”. Sometimes people’s favourite win, sometimes not. It’s unpredictable. I doubt most people rooted for Casey Affleck a few years ago, yet he took the prize home. He even had a lot of hatred towards him due to sexual harrasment accusations. Denzel Washingon immensely more popular and charismatic lost. And also Ryan Gosling for the mega hit La la Land

Exactly. Denzel Washington was more well known and is one of the most respected actors in Hollywood and Ryan Gosling starred in movie that smashed at the box office yet Casey won after he swept critics. I don’t get how just because Rami happened (who played a well loved musician and starred in a biopic, which is clearly not even the same as Joker) Joaquin is a sure thing.

Marcel
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, who gave Regina King the Oscar last year? Was she more of a critics’ choice or a fan favorite? Outside of the internet I guess I know one or two who seen this movie. I guess most people wanted Amy Adams with the prize.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 489 total)

The topic ‘Best Actor for 2020 Oscars (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.