Home Forums Movies Best Actor for 2020 Oscars (Part 2)

Best Actor for 2020 Oscars (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 434 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Babygirl
thatnerdgreg
Hammad Asif
  • Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Driver = Richard E. Grant = Critics’ pick Phoenix = Mahershala Ali = industry’s pick. I thought it was pretty obvious.

Except Mahershala was part of a film that was a stronger contender for Best Picture, Can You Ever Forgive Me was never going to be a bigger priority to the Academy.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Olivia Colman was a critic favourite and won over Glenn Close who had the perfect overdue narrative and was a more well known actress. Let’s not forget about Regina King either.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Okay, but if foi look at previous editions you will see there’s no “pattern”. Sometimes people’s favourite win, sometimes not. It’s unpredictable. I doubt most people rooted for Casey Affleck a few years ago, yet he took the prize home. He even had a lot of hatred towards him due to sexual harrasment accusations. Denzel Washingon immensely more popular and charismatic lost. And also Ryan Gosling for the mega hit La la Land

Exactly. Denzel Washington was more well known and is one of the most respected actors in Hollywood and Ryan Gosling starred in movie that smashed at the box office yet Casey won after he swept critics. I don’t get how just because Rami happened (who played a well loved musician and starred in a biopic, which is clearly not even the same as Joker) Joaquin is a sure thing.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Also, who gave Regina King the Oscar last year? Was she more of a critics’ choice or a fan favorite? Outside of the internet I guess I know one or two who seen this movie. I guess most people wanted Amy Adams with the prize.

Regina was only nominated at the Globes and swept critics, many thought Rachel would win after she won BAFTA.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Okay, but if foi look at previous editions you will see there’s no “pattern”. Sometimes people’s favourite win, sometimes not. It’s unpredictable. I doubt most people rooted for Casey Affleck a few years ago, yet he took the prize home. He even had a lot of hatred towards him due to sexual harrasment accusations. Denzel Washingon immensely more popular and charismatic lost. And also Ryan Gosling for the mega hit La la Land

Affleck may not have been the people’s favorite seeing as he lost SAG but Denzel wasnt even nomnated at BAFTA so Denzel wasnt the people’s favorite either. Not to mention Fences made like $5 at box office. Gosling could be seen as the people’s favorite but he didnt have the role. So just because your film is popular isnt an automatic guarantee of a win, you need role also, which Phoenix has in spades.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

What I mean is that the Best Actor Oscar rarely goes to a newbie starring in a conventional movie with a subtle performance (Timothée Chalamet), when you have next to a veteran giving a showy performance (Oldman). I hardly see them going for a crying Adam Driver while they have Joaquin Phoenix doing all that in Joker.

A lot of people who watched Marriage Story have said Adam has outright showy scenes, there’s even a scene where he sings. Chalamet really had any sans the ending.

Denzel is a well respected veteran and in Fences he had monologues after monologues and showy scenes left and right yet he lost to Casey who’s performance was very subtle and prior to Manchester he only had one Oscar nomination.

All these people you guys are using as examples for Phoenix are people who won for biopics, which everyone knows that genre is candy to the Academy. I just don’t see how it will be a cakewalk when the film is based on a comic, something the Academy despises.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Best Actor and Best Actress are influenced a lot by Box Office, especially Best Actor. This will hurt Marriage Story tremendously.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Star Wars is coming out right near voting season, I’m sure Driver’s name will be out there.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Why are we acting like just because you’re overdue you’re 100% going to win as if the Academy didn’t pay 3 overdue actors dust just this year

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Lol, I just checked this information. Fences made 64 million, Manchester made a bit more: 78 million. Is that too much of a difference?

Well if Denzel doesnt really fit the label of being portrayed as the “popular” pick when as you show, his film made less money.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Why are we acting like just because you’re overdue you’re 100% going to win as if the Academy didn’t pay 3 overdue actors dust just this year

Glenn and Amy are all time losers. Joaquin Phoenix is a different case.

Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

Driver’s in Star Wars. He’s much more famous than Malek.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Lol, some critics also preferred Driver’s performance. According to a survey made by Indiewire with movie critics

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/tiff-2019-critics-survey-toronto-best-films-performances-parasite-adam-driver-1202174083/

Neither Scarjo nor Renee made the top 5, but JLO did.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

My Goodness! Some critics listed his performance as one of this decade’s best. Is that nothing for you.

Okay and? Critics even say that to a bunch of performances that have lost before.

Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

I see a lot of people on here mentioning Phoenix has an overdue narrative, but I’m pretty sure the general public doesn’t actually think so. He’s been nominated three times, and each time he lost, it was to a well respected winner. I think the only people I’ve ever heard saying he’s overdue are GoldDerby users.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 434 total)

The topic ‘Best Actor for 2020 Oscars (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.