Home Forums Movies Best Actor of The Decade (2010-2019)?

Best Actor of The Decade (2010-2019)?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
fefface
Stank83
Best Actor of The Decade (2010-2019)?
Leonardo Di Caprio
Joaquin Phoenix
Christian Bale
Bradley Cooper
Tom Hardy
Micheal Fassbender
Ryan Gosling
Jake Gyllenhaal
Adam Driver
Daniel Day-Lewis
  • Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

Well, he was also acclaimed for Paterson and Silence, so no. I wouldn’t say just those two movies.

And despite the new Star Wars trilogy being divisive, his work was acclaimed in all three films, and it’s not unpopular for people who didn’t care for the films to say he was the best part of the trilogy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

No mention of the great Denzel Washington?
    He was great this decade in all sorts of genres.
    Also was nominated thrice.

No Willem Dafoe also,he is being hailed as one of most complete actors ever and he was brilliant this decade too.
    He might someone’s Best Actor of 10s.

Joaquin Phoenix is #1 from 10s but these giants deserve atleast to be mentioned.

Kubrick-Tarkovsky-Scorsese-Bergman-Bresson-Kurosawa

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

And despite the new Star Wars trilogy being divisive, his work was acclaimed in all three films, and it’s not unpopular for people who didn’t care for the films to say he was the best part of the trilogy.

Funny thing about Star Wars is that, from what I remember, he was flying under the radar before TFA opened. Movie sites were betting on Isaac and what’s his face who only yells REY to become big stars as a result. Then TFA came out and narrative changed in favor of Driver and remained that way all through SW run.

I still think that, all things considered, decade belonged to Cooper. So many nominations, boxoffice power, stellar directing debut and Rocket Racoon.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by loudtoilet.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Funny thing about Star Wars is that, from what I remember, he was flying under the radar before TFA opened. Movie sites were betting on Isaac and what’s his face who only yells REY to become big stars as a result. Then TFA came out and narrative changed in favor of Driver and remained that way all through SW run. I still think that, all things considered, decade belonged to Cooper. So many nominations, boxoffice power, stellar directing debut and Rocket Racoon.

Yep. You only need to read the comments from the Deadline piece about his casting to understand how people felt about him as a Star Wars villain pre-TFA, or people who went on Twitter to say they ‘laughed’ when he takes off the mask the first time. But it turned positive pretty quickly, especially after TLJ (even people who hated it)

Completely agree re: Cooper. I would say he’s had the biggest decade of this list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

I mean this is easily Di Caprio’s decade.

2010: Shutter Island

2010. Inception

2011: J.Edgar

2012: Django Unchained

2013: The Great Gatsby

2013: The Wolf of Wall Street

2015: The Revenant

2019: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

No other actor came close to this incredible streak of films and performances in the last 10 years. He should be indisputably number one in the list, above Bale and Phoenix.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Stank83.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by Stank83.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I mean this is easily Di Caprio’s decade. 2010: Shutter Island 2010. Inception 2011: J. Edgar 2012: Django Unchained 2013:The Great Gatsby 2013: The Wolf of Wall Street 2015: The Revenant 2019: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. No other actor came close to this incredible streak of films and performances in the last 10 years. He should be indisputably number one in the list, above Bale and Phoenix.

I imagine a lot of people aren’t considering him because he took almost half the decade off and has only made one film in nearly five years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Yep. You only need to read the comments from the Deadline piece about his casting to understand how people felt about him as a Star Wars villain pre-TFA, or people who went on Twitter to say they ‘laughed’ when he takes off the mask the first time. But it turned positive pretty quickly, especially after TLJ (even people who hated it) Completely agree re: Cooper. I would say he’s had the biggest decade of this list.

I vividly remember that and suggestions that the character should have looked like Jason Statham. Now Jason has my undying love but that was a terrible idea lmao!

I mean this is easily Di Caprio’s decade. 

and what decade isn’t? Leo is a national treasure. I favor Cooper for the last decade performer because he didn’t roll over from previous one(s) but found his stride in those 10 years while Leo continued his top performer work. But I cannot begrudge this choice either because he made the mark in yet another decade, may that continue in this one and the next and the next, etc.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I vividly remember that and suggestions that the character should have looked like Jason Statham. Now Jason has my undying love but that was a terrible idea lmao!

People suggested Statham? I remember a lot of comments when Fassbender was rumoured that he was much ‘scarier’ but IIRC Abrams said the whole idea was for Kylo to look ‘like a prince’ under the helmet to wrong foot the audience.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure that Fassbender was up for Poe Dameron but don’t quote me on that. I know that Redcarpet was up for Kylo Ren because he said so.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure that Fassbender was up for Poe Dameron but don’t quote me on that. I know that Redcarpet was up for Kylo Ren because he said so.

Yeah I remember him mentioning a terrible audition he’d done for it. Presumably they auditioned him while they were trying to work out the scheduling as, again if I remember correctly, Driver did not have to audition and was always the first choice but there were scheduling challenges to overcome.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

yes, he wanted to stay on Girls so they were deciding whether to work around it or find another actor. or something. But it was about his staying on Girls. redcarpet’s story was funny, though. he’s so undeservedly maligned because of Tom O’Neil email. Big deal. all actors do that, but he got caught and everyone was acting like he was thirstier than your average Oscar frontrunner.I mean, Michael keaton was seen mouthing “here we go baby” and pulling out a speech paper, FFS.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

yes, he wanted to stay on Girls so they were deciding whether to work around it or find another actor. or something. But it was about his staying on Girls. redcarpet’s story was funny, though. he’s so undeservedly maligned because of Tom O’Neil email. Big deal. all actors do that, but he got caught and everyone was acting like he was thristier than your average Oscar frontrunner.I mena, Michael keaton was seen mouthing “here we go” and pulling out a speech paper FFS.

If Jupiter Ascending is anything to go by, Redmayne has no career in playing villains.

And yes I believe that the entire cast of Girls was contracted for all six seasons very early in the run, so they had to work around it for SW as he couldn’t just quit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arabian
    Topics:

This is about best actor of the decade and Adam Driver’s work in everything he’s done is absolutely stellar. For those who think he doesn’t belong on this list and that Marriage Story and BlacKkKlansman are all his praise is for, nope. Let me throw some Driver facts your way.

2012 – Frances Ha (small, but stand-out role) Dir. Noah Baumbach
    2013 – Inside Llewyn Davis (small, but stand-out role) Dir. Coen Brothers
    2014 – This Is Where I Leave You (great reviews) Dir. Shawn Levy
    2014 – While We’re Young (great reviews) Dir. Noah Baumbach
    2014 – Hungry Hearts (outstanding reviews, nominations–including winning Venice FF Best Actor award) Dir. Saverio Costanzo
    2015 – SW: The Force Awakens (great reviews)
    2016 – Midnight Special (great reviews), Dir. Jeff Nichols
    2016 – Silence (great reviews) Dir. Martin Scorsese
    2016 – Paterson (outstanding reviews, several nominations, including winning Los Angeles Critics Award Best Actor) Dir. Jim Jarmusch
    2017 – Logan Lucky (great reviews) Dir. Steven Soderbergh
    2017 – SW: The Last Jedi (outstanding reviews)
    2018 – BlacKkKlansman (outstanding reviews, pretty much every nomination possible, including Oscar) Dir. Spike Lee
    2018 – The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (outstanding reviews) Dir. Terry Gilliam
    2019 – The Report (outstanding reviews) Dir. Scott Burns
    2019 – The Dead Don’t Die (great reviews) Dir. Jim Jarmusch
    2019 – Marriage Story (outstanding reviews, pretty much every nomination possible, including Oscar) Dir. Noah Baumbach
    2019 – SW: Rise of the Skywalker (great reviews–about the only positive consensus of the entire film)

He’s been working in film since 2011. His first big supporting role was in 2013, his first lead in 2014 and in that time he’s wracked up 94 nominations and 46 wins. I think he definitely belongs on this list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Now that you put such comrehensive evidence, can’t disagree. he literally started last decade so definitely deserves to be on the list. tremendous filmography for such a relatively short time in movies.

Also kudos to vets such as Leo/Bale/Joaquin for they were child actros so really long and prosper careers.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Now that you put such comrehensive evidence, can’t disagree. he literally started last decade so definitely deserves to be on the list. tremendous filmography for such a relatively short time in movies. Also kudos to vets such as Leo/Bale/Joaquin for they were child actros so really long and prosper careers.

Driver also appeared in small roles in both J.Edgar and Lincoln early in the decade.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.