Home Forums Movies Best Actor Oscar 2019 Predictions (Part 4)

Best Actor Oscar 2019 Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 502 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +30 hidden )
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
EsOS
Dana S.
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Continue the Best Actor 2019 discussions in Part 4.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    NameTBD
    Participant
    Topics:

aahoto wrote:

Did the outrage exist when Cate Blanchett was sweeping for Blue Jasmine? I’ve heard negative comments about Malek before he even won one award.

Yes, Dylan Farrow wrote an editorial published in the NY Times in the thick of Oscars season in 2014 detailing her experience. She tried calling out Cate Blanchett. Blanchett made a vague, noncommittal comment about it (“It’s obviously been a long and painful situation for the family and I hope they find some resolution and peace.”) and the situation ultimately had no effect on her winning the award–and she thanked him in her acceptance speech.

Cate Blanchett Caught in the Woody Allen Crossfire

Cate Blanchett responds to letter by Woody Allen’s daughter, Dylan Farrow

Dylan Farrow’s Op-Ed Targets Woody Allen But Could Hurt Cate Blanchett More (Analysis)

Malek’s made a much more deliberate effort to distance himself from Singer than Blanchett did from Allen. Maybe it’ll work, maybe it won’t. We’ll find out next month.

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Continue the Best Actor 2019 discussions in Part 4.
    Won’t Vice debacle at box office effect Bale’s oscar chance?

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

Won’t Vice debacle at box office effect Bale’s oscar chance?

Not really, it wasn’t like First Man or Mary Poppins Returns where they were expected to make huge bank. The only thing affecting his chances are the polarizing reviews based on politics, but with the tide wanning away from the first frontrunner and the rest of the performances dogged in controversy (excluding Dafoe), he’s got the performance and the industry love to support him against the box office.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.

Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Bale should win this in a landslide. He, Gosling and Hawke were the three best lead actor performancws this year.

Lisa Lemon
    Participant
    Topics:

I think people forget sometimes that the amazing talent that is Christian Bale is British (yes he’s THAT good with accents), just like Ms. Colman and Rachel. He has got BAFTA in his bag. If people are smart enough and comprehend the complexity of his character and what he did then under no circumstances is he gonna miss SAG. Dont really understand the Rami Malek thing winning an Oscar. In the words of the great Ms. Jessica Lange: ‘What is this? Knotty pine?’

I have to laugh at this confidence…just like everyone was so confident BR was NOT winning at the GG’s…gmab nothing is a lock, you might learn that the hard way..

Lisa Lemon
    Participant
    Topics:

Bale should win this in a landslide. He, Gosling and Hawke were the three best lead actor performancws this year.

Bale got fat & mumbled for 2 hours…big deal & he in no way had the harder role..many actors could have done that, no one by Malek could have pulled off what he did in BR..

kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

Bale got fat & mumbled for 2 hours…big deal & he in no way had the harder role..many actors could have done that, no one by Malek could have pulled off what he did in BR..

Malek got a wig, mustache, and fake teeth, along with lessons to lip sync, big deal.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.

Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t imagine Malek doing Bale’s role for example. In fact, Malek couldn’t even do his role properly. He was laughable.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

no one by Malek could have pulled off what he did in BR..

Literally, Sasha Baron Cohen. But they decided to do a watered down PG 13 crowd pleaser that does not do justice to Mercury for one bit.

Banned for making a fake movie poster

Arias
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure it’s his responsibility but Malek’s response was weak.

Regardless of Singer, I didn’t like BR purely based on the film on screen. I thought Malek was fine with the material but not Oscar-worthy at all. I intially thought he’d be lucky to grab that fifth slot. Was I ever wrong with how things played out!

But people love the movie. They think Malek deserves to win. Great. That’s fine. We’ll just agree to disagree.

But what I kinda find disingenuous is this need to distance Singer from this movie – the studio, graham king, Malek, fans, etc). BR is a Bryan Singer film. Period. Yes, hundreds of people work on a movie but all I’ve ever heard is that “film is a director’s medium”, “the director steers the ship”, blah blah blah. Yes, he got fired. With two weeks left! Wasn’t it a 50 million dollar budgeted movie? That would probably mean a 40-50 day shoot. Well over a majority of the film was done, including the much talked about LiveAid scene, which was shot on the first day. And what was left was probably already blocked out. This doesn’t include the 6-12 months of pre production time (casting, assembling prod team, rehearsals, etc). The idea that he was not a key player in the productuin is silly! Just own it already.

pattycakes
    Blocked
    Topics:

Bradley Cooper will emerge victorious in this Best Actor race after Rami Malek’s controversy grows in turn ending his momentum. Christian Bale is already an Oscar winner so the voters will forget about him.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Christian Bale is already an Oscar winner so the voters will forget about him.

So is Mahershala Ali yet he’s on the verge of winning his second Oscar. The Academy won’t forget about him as they clearly love Vice (see it’s overperformance in nominations.) and he’s a very wel respected actor. Hate to break it to you but if Malek isn’t winning then Bale will.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Best Actor Oscar 2019 Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.