Home Forums Movies Best Actor Oscar 2019 Predictions (Part 4)

Best Actor Oscar 2019 Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 502 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +30 hidden )
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
EsOS
Dana S.
  • Luminaire
    Participant
    Topics:

Just a fun aside,

Viggo has been in my office all day today in relation to his personal project he’s working on.

Fun times.

Arias
    Participant
    Topics:

Arias, I didn’t say their reviews were worthless. what I am saying is that the level of film criticism has gone way down and there are no longer any at all that I look forward to reading or have much respect for them. It has nothing to do with disagreeing with them; I often disagreed with my favorite critics of the past. Again, you are putting words in my mouth I never ever said. I explained further earlier when I was asked for clarification. I did not do at all what you say.

I used the term “we” cuz I feel many of us are guilty of it (using critic reviews when it’s convenient and matches with our opinions to argue a point). I include myself in that lot.

Instead of worthless, I should have wrote “film critics have gone down a lot, etc”. My bad.

Again? I don’t think so.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

I LOVE that Willem Dafoe was nominated.One of my favorites performances of the year, I have no idea why it was ignored by critics.

How was the film ?

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

Anonymous
    Topics:
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Kinda boring,literally all the scenes could have been shorter,but it holds up well enough thanks to Dafoe and the cinematography.

I’ve heard that it’s more of a character/actor’s piece, so that makes sense. Glad that you thought he saved it because I never agree with the only person I’ve seen talk about it on here.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah he seems to like more entertaining performances which is ok but I believe you´ll like Dafoe´s I hope you watch it and enjoy it

That’s good, thanks, I trust your opinion lol. I don’t think it’s available in my area even with Oscar nominations out but I’ll definitely try to find a way this week to watch it (either rent or something).

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Cair
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope not. I think SAG is better at predicting the Oscars. They have been in the past. I’m so hoping Rami wins the Oscars.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I was so incredibly disappointed by At Eternity’s Gate and Dafoe’s performance in it. I am surprised if they were going to go with a smaller movie rather than a BP nominated actor (JDW) that they didn’t nominate the more critically acclaimed performance by Ethan Hawke.

I think most people are starting to accept that Rami Malek is going to win the Oscar this year. Of course some are still in denial, which is to be expected.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    ayanami
    Participant
    Topics:

Irrelevant, but I checked 2017’s odds and I found out Denzel was actually #1 in GoldDerby with half the people actually predicting him to win. What were people thinking? Lol. I’ll attribute that to the allegations against Affleck, otherwise Idk.

lol what were people even thinking? Denzel’s performance over time hasn’t aged very well at all either. Casey Affleck meanwhile delivered one of the best performances this century. And to think, Casey got GG, CC and BAFTA at the time as well. How could he have lost? The psychoactive drugs those people were on must have been very effective.

Dana S.
    Participant
    Topics:

Why not have the same energy for Gaga and Cooper about R Kelly and the ASIB Producer, respectively?

Probably because Gaga actually addressed the situation, apologized and removed that R Kelly track from platforms so she is not profiting from it anymore, not to mention R Kelly had no creative input in ASIB (he wasn’t acting in the movie, wasn’t directing it or wasn’t writing any music for it)  while Malek barely addressed situation with Singer, director of BR, used Freddie Mercury as sort of cover scape goat and is avoiding anything that could potentially harm him from profiting from this very work directed by Singer.
    And I think somebody already pointed out about that ASIB Producer.

Speaking of actors race, I could only imagine how Ethan Hawke is fuming right now. He had a critically acclaimed performance, won vast majority of critics’s circles,  has questioned the quality of superhero films in the past, calling them overrated  – and he was not nominated for most of the televised awards, while this Best Actor race shaped to be….well, like that,  and Black Panther was nominated for BP  Oscar and won SAG for Best Cast. Hawke is probably having nightmares.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Irrelevant, but I checked 2017’s odds and I found out Denzel was actually #1 in GoldDerby with half the people actually predicting him to win. What were people thinking? Lol. I’ll attribute that to the allegations against Affleck, otherwise Idk.

Affleck was #1 for months and months until Washington won SAG and then only over the last 3 weeks of the awards season Washington took over as #1. It was very unnerving for me since I really wanted Affleck to win. I continued to predict Affleck though because I felt that Washington’s SAG win had extenuating circumstances and was likely a one vote win or close to it for all we know!

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah it was funny seeing everyone jump ship on Affleck just because of SAG even though Denzel had literally no narrative for a third Oscar win, had never won SAG before, and no other relevant wins. I even created my very first forum topic about it: https://www.goldderby.com/forum/movies/why-is-denzel-washington-going-to-win-the-oscar/

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Best Actor Oscar 2019 Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.