Home Forums Movies Best Actress 1973 Ranking (Winner: Liza Minnelli)

Best Actress 1973 Ranking (Winner: Liza Minnelli)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
babypook
RobertPius
BICTH
  • Profile picture
    keithw
    Topics:

Just wondering people’s thoughts on the Oscar voting ranking for 1973’s Best Actress. We know Liza Minnelli won for “Cabaret”. I think the ranking went as follows:
    2. Diana Ross, Lady Sings the Blues
    3. Liv Ullmann, The Emigrants
    4. Cicely Tyson, Sounder
    5. Maggie Smith, Travels With My Aunt
    I think the 2nd through 4th place voting would have been so close.

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

I think ullmann was probably second since she won the drama globe

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

All of these perfs are so good. I can only rank by preference.

Cicely Tyson, Sounder
    Liv Ullman, The Emigrants
    Maggie Smith, Travels With My Aunt
    Liza Minnelli, Cabaret
    Diana Ross, Lady Sings the Blues

My suspicion is that Liza was the consensus winner.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I think the ranking was :

1.Liza Minnelli (Obviously)
    2.Cicely Tyson
    3.Liv Ullman
    4.Diana Ross
    5.Maggie Smith

I think both Tyson and Ullman finished the top3.I have a feeling Tyson might have been the runner-up. She was the critical favourite and there was a huge hype for her to became the first African-American to win Lead Actress. Liv Ullman could have also been the 2nd place. She won the Globe for Drama Actress and her movie was hugely liked by the Academy.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by estrelas.
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by estrelas.

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

I agree with 1st and 2nd runners up but third is a conundrum for me.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by teri.
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by teri.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam_Malone
    Topics:

Diana Ross led quite an aggressive campaign and people were quite impressed with her performance. I am fairly certain that she came in second (though we will never know). Ullmann might have won the Globe, but the Globes were not a big barometer for Oscars back then.

Ullmann third, then probably Tyson and Smith (whose film wasn’t all that popular, her nomination quite surprising).

Minnelli won fair and square though. Personally, I consider the line-up rather weak which is too bad as it could have been an awesome line-up when including Joanne Woodward and Goldie Hawn instead of Smith and Tyson.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Diana Ross led quite an aggressive campaign and people were quite impressed with her performance. I am fairly certain that she came in second (though we will never know). Ullmann might have won the Globe, but the Globes were not a big barometer for Oscars back then. Ullmann third, then probably Tyson and Smith (whose film wasn’t all that popular, her nomination quite surprising). Minnelli won fair and square though. Personally, I consider the line-up rather weak which is too bad as it could have been an awesome line-up when including Joanne Woodward and Goldie Hawn instead of Smith and Tyson.

From the articles and videos I’ve seen talking about that race, Diana never stood a chance of winning. She led an aggressive campaign but she was never seen as a frontrunner. She definitely wasn’t the runner-up. Both Minnelli and Tyson were the  frontrunners. After Ullman won the Globe over Tyson there was some speculation that she could upset. But that plane never took off. Tyson was the critics favourite and she had a lot of goodwill for her to win (and to make history).

I have to laugh when you say she shouldn’t have been nominated. Not only she deserved her nomination but she should have WON!!!

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I’ve only seen Minnelli and Ullmann out of these, but while I adore both performances I find Ullmann even better in the sequel, The New Land, which was nominated for Foreign-Language Film and would have been eligible for other categories the following year, but that didn’t happen. Ullmann’s portrayal combines ordinariness with spirituality in a subtly powerful way, rivalling many of her turns in Bergman’s films.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

1. Liza Minnelli, Cabaret
    2. Maggie Smith, Travels With My Aunt
    4. Cicely Tyson, Sounder
    5. Diana Ross, Lady Sings The Blues (she wasn’t even remotely like Billie Holiday, extremely miscast imo)

Barbra Streisand was great in both Up The Sandbox and What’s Up, Doc? – surprised she didn’t get nominated. Some other terrific lead actresses were Joanne Woodward (The Effect of Gamma Rays…), Tuesday Weld (Play It As It Lays), Juliet Mills (Avanti!), Lea Masari (Murmur Of The Heart), Susannah York (Images)…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Minelli used to joke in her act about how she went to a psychic or something and the women looked at her and said Diana Ross. Don’t know if Ross’ campaign was that strong or it just made a better joke.

Was there any talk of putting Tyson in supporting?

I just saw Tyson the other day speak (as I said in the other thread.)

She mentioned how Paul Winfield was supposed to have top billing but when they got to the final cut his role came out so much smaller that they moved her up. She felt awkward about it but Winfield calmed her down and said it was the right thing to do.

Tyson making history probably got hurt with Ross taking some of those votes. Plus I don’t think Tyson was that big of a star really whereas Liza was Hollywood royalty on a second nomination. Plus her film overperformed even pulling off the shocking Fosse win.

I’d guess it went:

Minelli
    Tyson
    Ross
    Ullman
    Smith

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Aunt Peg
    Topics:

1. Liza Minnelli, Cabaret
    2. Maggie Smith, Travels With My Aunt
    4. Cicely Tyson, Sounder
    5. Diana Ross, Lady Sings The Blues (she wasn’t even remotely like Billie Holiday, extremely miscast imo)

MeToo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

diana gave a performance with such startling incandescence it doesn’t matter to me if she was resembling holiday or not, and if you wanna talk miscast maggie smith should be the prime example of that

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Maggie Smith was a last minute replacement for Katharine Hepburn who dropped out for some reason.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chimichanggas
    Topics:

Maggie Smith is the clear last here. Ullmann, Ross, and Tyson are close to each other making way for Minnelli to score great.

1. Minnelli
    2. Ross
    3. Ullmann
    4. Tyson
    5. Smith

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

I think Cicely Tyson should have been nominated in Supporting Actress and the true lead was the son played by Kevin Hooks. Cicely would have won in Supporting.

I watched Cabaret twice and that movie does nothing for me.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.