Home Forums Movies Best Actress 1981

Best Actress 1981

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Aunt Peg
RobertPius
arodfan
  • Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

From the nominees, Diane Keaton. Meryl also very good in that one.

Outside of the nominees, I’ll be biased and pick NSFC winner Marília Pera for Pixote. Tho she was really supporting in that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

Pera is most definitely supporting. A great supporting performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

What category do people thing Sarandon belonged in? Lead or supporting?

She famously voted for herself in supporting and was shocked she got a lead nomination. I assume she was campaigned in supporting if that is where she voted for herself.

I think Sarandon did just enough to merit lead placement. I wasn’t all that taken with her performance though. Lancaster stole the show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

At the time I remember that I really wanted Marsha Mason to win for “Only When I Laugh”……now I’m not so sure after having recently seen that film as well as “Reds”, “Atlantic City” and “The French Lieutenant’s Woman” since the pandemic started. “On Golden Pond” is a great film that I’ve seen a few times. My rankings now would be: 1. Katharine Hepburn 2. Marsha Mason 3. Diane Keaton 4. Meryl Street 5. Susan Sarandon

Forgot to reply to this…

I think Marsha Mason should have won and the fact that they decided to give Hepburn her 4th instead of finally awarding the 4th nomination of Mason speaks volumes. They must have never liked her that much even though the movie is one of those “industry” ones, as in about actors that Weinstein often cited as Oscar bait. I guess the “still feels like a play” budget didn’t help?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

Diane Keaton was AMAZING in Reds. That character (and performance) was so different from anything else she’s ever done. I can’t believe Hepburn won for basically playing herself yet again. Hepburn was the least versatile actress ever, yet she won the most Oscars. How ironic.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Honorable mentions:
    Isabelle Adjani – Possession

Isabelle Adjani was only eligible to compete at the 1984 ceremony, since Possession only came out in the USA in 1983. And she should’ve won that year imo. Mind blowing performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Balthazar
    Topics:

I forget, who were considered the favorites to take home the trophy leading up the the ceremony?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

I forget, who were considered the favorites to take home the trophy leading up the the ceremony?

Keaton and Streep.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I think Streep was considered the favorite with Keaton a close second. Streep won the Globe and LAFC. Keaton (and Faye Dunaway, Mommie Dearest) were runnersup at NYFC and NSFC. Glenda Jackson and Marília Pêra won those respectively so the precursors were all over the map and not too decisive.

It is interesting to think how this year reverberates right up to this year’s awards. If Streep had won she probably would have still won the next year for Sophie’s Choice since the reviews were that good. She’d have then had her three and be tied with Hepburn and Ingrid Bergman for women with three Oscars. I doubt she’d have then had enough support to become the first four time winner for The Iron Lady since it had mixed reactions.

SO! Then Viola would have won for The Help. Then what would she have done with Fences? Would she have still gone supporting? Or would she have gone lead to break that record of being the first black women with two Best Actress nominations. Would she have still won? If she had then she probably wouldn’t be in the mix this year for a win again.

1981 was kind of a pivotal year for the most awarded list.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.