Home Forums Movies Best Actress 1988

Best Actress 1988

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
RobertPius
Wanda
M: The Original
  • Profile picture
    vlaxym
    Topics:

Academy made right decision that year with Foster winning. But Streep would be just as deserving.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by vlaxym.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by vlaxym.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Close should have won fairly easily that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

Academy made right decision that year with Foster winning. But Streep would be just as deserving.

They did not.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

Glenn should have won that easily. Terrific, iconic performance and her 5th nomination in a single decade. I don’t know what is it with her they hate so much but damn

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Seven.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JayDF
    Topics:

My top 5 favs from that year are…

1. Meryl Streep, “A Cry In the Dark” *
    2. Isabelle Adjani, “Camille Claudel”
    3. Susan Sarandon, “Bull Durham”
    4. Gena Rowlands, “Another Woman”
    5. Barbara Hershey, “A World Apart”

I include Adjani in 88, bc I don’t follow the academy’s rules.

Ranking of the Oscar nominees…

1. Meryl Streep, “A Cry In the Dark”
    2. Sigourney Weaver, “Gorillas In the Mist”
    3. Jodie Foster, “The Accused” *
    4. Glenn Close, “Dangerous Liaisons”
    5. Melanie Griffith, “Working Girl”

“Gorillas In the Mist” and “The Accused” were not great films as a whole, but I did really like Weaver & Foster’s work. I’m not generally a fan of Close or Griffith, but they did admirable work IMO.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by JayDF.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I always wondered why Dangerous Liasons was completely shut out at the Globes. Not a single nomination.

That may have hurt Close (although that year Geena Davis and Kevin Kline both won Oscars without Globe nominations, something almost unheard of today.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

I always wondered why Dangerous Liasons was completely shut out at the Globes. Not a single nomination.

That may have hurt Close (although that year Geena Davis and Kevin Kline both won Oscars without Globe nominations, something almost unheard of today.)

Liaisons was a late December release.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

The biggest WTF this year was how well Working Girl did- that movie is so uninspiring and dull. Tons of romantic comedies are better. Weaver was pretty good in it though along with Cusack. But Melanie? Oh my gosh, she was so underwhelming.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

The biggest WTF this year was how well Working Girl did- that movie is so uninspiring and dull. Tons of romantic comedies are better. Weaver was pretty good in it though along with Cusack. But Melanie? Oh my gosh, she was so underwhelming.

Both Carmen Maura and Jaime Lee-Curtis deserved that spot more than Griffith

Last.fm: https://www.last.fm/es/user/Into_You

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Christine Lahti and the rest of that fabulous cast in RoE. Traumatizing film for me.
    Next is Working Girl. Love that film, including Melanie….you transform, girl.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

Jodie Foster deservedly won. If you’re not moved by that performance, you have a heart of stone and no soul.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelasdealgeruz
    Topics:

Jodie Foster deservedly won. If you’re not moved by that performance, you have a heart of stone and no soul.

I just recently watched the movie and i completely disagree. She didn’t move me one bit. I found her performance to be just average at best. The movie itself is also very average. I’ve seen much better movies and performances with the same subject. And no i don’t not have a heart of stone. Glenn and Meryl were far superior and should have won. Especially Glenn, who gave the best performance of her career in Dangerous Liaisons. That final scene alone should have won her the Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Army Of Me
    Topics:

Close was perfection in Dangerous Liaisons. She should have easily won for that performance. Foster won, but Close was likely a close runner up. Foster had an extremely baity performance in a mediocre film. Weaver’s chances were probably greatly diminished with her double nomination. Most voters likely thought she would win supporting. Streep was brilliant but that performance was not going to win her a third Academy Award. The role of Lindy Chamberlain was too unsympathetic. Griffith was luminous but romantic comedy heroines rarely win awards against heavier competition.

1988 was an impressive year for lead female performances. Christine Lahti, Shirley MacLaine, Gena Rowlands, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michelle Pfeiffer and Susan Sarandon were among those who missed out on a nomination. Lahti in particular would have made a worthy nominee. Her scene with Steven Hill was perfection.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

If that’s your opinion, then that’s totally understandable. I guess we can agree to disagree. 😉

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Gabe Guarin.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Gabe Guarin.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

I always wondered why Dangerous Liasons was completely shut out at the Globes. Not a single nomination. That may have hurt Close (although that year Geena Davis and Kevin Kline both won Oscars without Globe nominations, something almost unheard of today.)

I don’t think the Golden Globe snub really factored into Close’s loss. I honestly think that by today’s standards, Close would win. Also, Roberto Benigni won an Oscar without a Golden Globe nomination (though we prefer not to bring that up).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.