Home Forums Movies Best Actress 2001

Best Actress 2001

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
Created
7 years ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Words Count
babypook
Scottferguson
  • Profile picture
    starfishgirl
    Topics:

i don’t know, i can’t begrudge someone their honest emotions after winning- clearly, she was overwhelmed. although i also know people who thought her speech was embarassing and over the top- like she just was elected president or something. 

but considering the fact that to this day she’s the only black actress to ever win that award, i really can’t prefer that it had been someone else. esp because renee and nicole would eventually win later

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Troy
    Topics:

Spacek should have won. 

1.  Spacek
    2.  Kidman
    3.  Zellwegger
    4.  Dench
    5.  Berry 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Words Count
    Topics:

Honestly, I think Halle Berry’s win is hated partly because of her ridiculous acceptance speech.  So over the top, so unnecessary.  The expressions in the audience were priceless.

When Viola Davis’ name wasn’t called when she was up for best actress frames Berry’s speech perfectly as an example of an actor telling the truth in their acceptance speech. She said the moment was bigger than her and now that she remains the only non-white actress to win it says so much about the importance of what she was conveying to the audience in the room – at the studios – and at home.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Words Count
    Topics:

One can only wonder what Angela Bassett would have done with this role.

Nothing — she would have been too old for the part then. Not to mention Lee Daniels’ brand of filth is nothing she wants apart of.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Words Count
    Topics:

A CHANCE FOR THE ACADEMY TO HONOR A BLACK ACTRESS
    BUT THEY WAITED SO LONG AND PICKED THE WRONG ACTRESS.

Berry was one note and hardly in Monsters Ball….if anyone was supporting
    it was her and not Spacek who was the catalyst of the brilliant IN THE BEDROOM.
    It was a very good year for actresses and I thought Dench was remarkable as
    the older IRIS…I wasnt wild about Zellweger’s performance in a weak film but she
    was nomination worthy..

My rankings..

SPACEK
    DENCH
    KIDMAN
    BERRY
    ZELLWEGER

Its a shame that the academy passed up so many more worthy black
    actors and actresses, that oscar night was ruined by 2 inferior performances
    that to this day, have me shaking my head…Denzel and Halle both for the
    wrong performances…

You’re giving the academy too much credit. They ever operate on time and with the right performer for the right performance. A weak year in all the acting fields led to an historical night to correct no non-white actress ever winning best actress and Washington was overdue for his first best actor award with only a previous supporting win. Making him the first black double winner. It all worked out for the academy press wise to have two black performers win in one night in the top categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jason Travis
    Topics:

How were the reactions of the audience priceless when Berry won? In what regard? My taking was people were very emotional and proud of Berry’s defiance in her speech; if we’re going to talk about an over the top Best Actress speech that was unnecessary in emotion, talk about Gwyneth Paltrow’s- who was the weakest of the lineup yet acted like she was the Holy Grail of the evening. I always will be upset with the likes of Sandra Bullock and Jennifer Lawrence winning in their respective categories, but at least those women were humble and down to earth in their speeches; can’t say the same about Paltrow. So I too, am confused on the hate against Berry – who also won the National Board of Review and SAG award prior to the Academy Award. This wasn’t too much of a shock.

Also this was most certainly a STRONG lineup for best actress. Kidman, Spacek and Zellweger all shine significantly in their roles. And Dench was sweet, though I would have dropped her for Watts. Also unnoticed Reese Witherspoon (Legally Blonde) was perfection. 

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    17K Subscribers, 33 Million Views

FYC: Anthony Hopkins, The Father

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

I remember what Gwyneth was wearing, and thinking how much more skilled her mother is as an actor. but I dont remember a word she said, other than I’m pretty sure she was crying, along with some others who may not have thought she deserved to win. Was it worse than Matthew McConoughey’s speech? I dont necessarily judge the guy for what he said but it did make me “cock” my eyebrows.

And what’s all this “hatred” talk re Berry? Who hates that gorgeous, talented woman? Sure there’s disagreement about the merits of her win but why hate her for it? I’m far from convinced about this hate talk. She’s infinitely watchable, even in films which nobody has seen or which fell way below the radar.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Berry is a fine actress whose talents were wasted in Monster’s Ball, a horrible film from the usually great Marc Forster. I found Berry to be beyond over the top, unconvincing and unsure of what type of person the character actually was.

1. Kidman
    2. Spacek
    3. Zellweger
    4. Dench
    5. Berry

But the real winner is the unnominated Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive. HOW DO YOU SNUB A PERFORMANCE LIKE THAT.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmys2011
    Topics:

Kidman in Moulin Rouge definitely. Her performance is a testament as to just how versatile and daring she can is, for those who forget (happens). One of her most different and dynamic performances….

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Scottferguson
    Topics:

I remember what Gwyneth was wearing, and thinking how much more skilled her mother is as an actor. but I dont remember a word she said, other than I’m pretty sure she was crying, along with some others who may not have thought she deserved to win. Was it worse than Matthew McConoughey’s speech? I dont necessarily judge the guy for what he said but it did make me “cock” my eyebrows.

And what’s all this “hatred” talk re Berry? Who hates that gorgeous, talented woman? Sure there’s disagreement about the merits of her win but why hate her for it? I’m far from convinced about this hate talk. She’s infinitely watchable, even in films which nobody has seen or which fell way below the radar.

I agree that calling disliking Berry’s win “hatred” is a stretch, and it’s nice to hear you say that. You might keep that in mind however you accuse people of hating Streep. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Scottferguson
    Topics:

I agree that calling disliking Berry’s win “hatred” is a stretch, and it’s nice to hear you say that. You might keep that in mind however you accuse people of hating Streep. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Scottferguson
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Logan
    Topics:

Paltrow’s grandather was supposed to be at the ceremony but was too ill to go – I’m surprised that people were bothered she was so emotional. She was also only 26 – I know people that age that would be as or more hysterical in a moment like that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jason Travis
    Topics:

I mentioned Paltrow in defense to how people react to Berry’s emotion- the latter was making HISTORY; she was stepping into some large shoes, and it was overwhelming. Everyone of course reacts to winning differently- I still find it fascinating to see Faye Dunaway’s cool and almost cold reaction when prevailing for Network (1976). 

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    17K Subscribers, 33 Million Views

FYC: Anthony Hopkins, The Father

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Topics:

Sissy Spacek wins over a tough race with Kidman for me. Spacek was just quitely heartbreaking to a point where the pain she displayed at times was nearly too hard to bare. Kidman was also great and full of so much life. Next is Dench who is her usual great followed by Berry who’s performance is only increased y the final moments of the film with Zellweger in last as I think it’s a good performance but not oscar worthy in anyway.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.