Home Forums Movies Best Actress 2019

Best Actress 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 726 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
M: The Original
Marcus.H
estrelasdealg..
  • M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

yikes, Glenn….this is NOT good. definitely showing her Old White Ladyness.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/separate-the-metoo-abusers-and-their-art-says-glenn-close?ref=home

In a new interview with The Sunday Times, Close also says the #MeToo movement is in danger of causing “overcorrection” and argues that artists and their work should be separated.

Close, who gave the interview to promote her new movie, The Wife, in which she plays a downtrodden spouse, slams the current vogue for scrubbing from schedules the back catalogues of people accused of unacceptable behavior.

Close says that she fears there will be “overcorrection,” and then makes the case that the work of people accused of abusing their power should be separated from their actions.

“I still have to ask myself, do you negate somebody’s total body of work because they have acted badly? Our species is complex, and the same person is capable of making something beautiful and doing something heinous. In some ways, art comes out of that capacity.”

Close does not want art suppressed nor the artist’s contribution disqualified because they’re a horrible person or did something criminal. Which is understandable and a rational stance to have.

Borja Lopez
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Performance 1. Yalitzia Aparicio, “Roma” (9%) 2. Elisabeth Moss, “Her Smell” (7%) 3. Lady Gaga, “A Star is Born” (6%) 4. Nicole Kidman, “Destroyer” (4%) 5. Viola Davis, “Widows” (3%) https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/tiff-2018-critics-survey-toronto-best-films-performances-roma-fahrenheit-11-9-1202004360/ Interesting choices from Indiewire’s critics poll

I know it’s not even close to happening but I would live if Elizabeth Moss got nominated, her performance in Her Smell looks insanely good and in my perfect world she would have been nominated for Queen of Earth.

Elisabeth Moss should have won for Queen of Earth in 2015.

circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Gaga is getting in, for many reasons.

A lot of older voters will watch because of its legacy as a traditional Hollywood remake.

All three previous versions were nominated in some way or another. Whether Gaga misses Actress or not, she’s still a contender in Original Song as well. So it’s a win-win situation.

Gaga will also campaign her way into a nod. I love the good sis Stephanie, but she gives me Anne Hathaway vibes.

I totally see her being thirsty for the recognition. She may deserve it, but we’ll have to wait in a couple weeks to see for sure.

Finally, the movie will be a box office success. Think about it. This film will appeal to everyone. And could potentially stay in theaters for a VERY long time.

musicreloaded
    Participant
    Topics:

GLEN VS NICOLE will be Epic.

na digga
    Participant
    Topics:

1.glenn close
    2.lady Gaga
    3.viola Davis
    4.melissa McCarthy
    5. Olivia Colman

And yes I believe viola is a lock as well as all the rest of the ladies but it’s pretty clear this is Glenn close’s year. Close is way past overdue. With that said viola is acclaimed and I think people don’t always appreciate her performances as much as they would if she was new ala how people treat close and Streep. The oscar voters are more diverse and they don’t want Oscars so white 2. Lady Gaga has proven the buzz for Star is going to fade away she has a chance to win it but I don’t think the academy loves her the way they love close she has a better shot in song ala Barbara Streisand. With Melissa and Olivia they have a continued buzz around their performances unlike Kidman and co. Olivia has the advantage as far as having a movie that seems strong as a whole. But Melissa has the advantage of being a beloved former nominee and comedians going serious have always been a serious threat to the race ala Monique. I don’t think this list will change but it’s only September sooo we’ll have to see

I know I predicted Glenn to win but I think the buzz has all but died down. With that said I think the nominees will stay same just in a different order.

1.lady Gaga
    2.viola Davis
    3. Olivia Colman
    4.glenn close
    5.melissa McCarthy(needs to watch out for Kidman)

estrelasdealgeruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I know I predicted Glenn to win but I think the buzz has all but died down. With that said I think the nominees will stay same just in a different order.

1.lady Gaga
    2.viola Davis
    3. Olivia Colman
    4.glenn close
    5.melissa McCarthy(needs to watch out for Kidman)

I still think the battle will be between Gaga and Close. About Close’s buzz i don’t think that has died at all. If you google her movie you see reviews coming almost every day with almost every one saying that she deserves an Oscar for it and if you pay attention to the media they are very eager to see a fight between Gaga and Close. So i assure you that her buzz hasn’t died (surprisingly her movie is also doing much better than expected at the box office considering that is a very indie movie – which is a very good thing) . About Olivia i already said that she will do much better in Supporting. Viola Davis I’ve heard that she is good but is danger of not being nominated due to the genre of the movie. McCarthy can be hurt by her puppet movie and Kidman i think she will be a safe nominee due to her role being a very transformative one. And i wouldn’t put Toni Collette away just yet, i think she can be a very good surprise. But i think in the end will be Gaga and Close fighting for the gold. I think there’s a strong chance of the Academy thinking the same way i do, that is Gaga winning song (for ‘Shallow’ – because will stick more with voters) and Close wins Actress . Like that both win and everybody’s happy (including me).

M Bocioaca
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t expect Frances dominating at all. I think this year will play out the same, with the televised precursors  predicting the winner.

WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

I just watched the The Children Act, and I honestly think that Thompson was better than Close. I know that Close has the narrative to push her to a nomination, but I think Thompson has the performance, so it the scope of small films, Thompson would edge out for the nomination IMO.

leon375
    Participant
    Topics:

I really want them to consider Carey Mulligan again she’s overdue for an oscar she has given many oscar worthy performances since An Education in Shame, Never let me go, Sufragette and Wildlife so I hope she campaigns …

M
    Participant
    Topics:

What if Glenn Close is just being overhyped by Golderby? I haven’t seen many critics predicting her elsewhere. Even IndieWire predictions (from several critics) didn’t include her (she had less than 3% of the vote).

loganlovesmyass
    Participant
    Topics:

Gaga is getting in, for many reasons. A lot of older voters will watch because of its legacy as a traditional Hollywood remake. All three previous versions were nominated in some way or another. Whether Gaga misses Actress or not, she’s still a contender in Original Song as well. So it’s a win-win situation. Gaga will also campaign her way into a nod. I love the good sis Stephanie, but she gives me Anne Hathaway vibes. I totally see her being thirsty for the recognition. She may deserve it, but we’ll have to wait in a couple weeks to see for sure. Finally, the movie will be a box office success. Think about it. This film will appeal to everyone. And could potentially stay in theaters for a VERY long time.

and what did anne hathaway do wrong? She was literally hated for no reason bc of mysogynists like you

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

I just watched the The Children Act, and I honestly think that Thompson was better than Close. I know that Close has the narrative to push her to a nomination, but I think Thompson has the performance, so it the scope of small films, Thompson would edge out for the nomination IMO.

Thompson’s movie is on video on demand. Its theatrical run too irrelevant to matter in the end.

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

Gaga is getting in, for many reasons.

A lot of older voters will watch because of its legacy as a traditional Hollywood remake.

All three previous versions were nominated in some way or another. Whether Gaga misses Actress or not, she’s still a contender in Original Song as well. So it’s a win-win situation.

Gaga will also campaign her way into a nod. I love the good sis Stephanie, but she gives me Anne Hathaway vibes.

I totally see her being thirsty for the recognition. She may deserve it, but we’ll have to wait in a couple weeks to see for sure.

Finally, the movie will be a box office success. Think about it. This film will appeal to everyone. And could potentially stay in theaters for a VERY long time.

This is such a premature and baseless judgement. You don’t know anything about Gaga’s attitude, in all her interviews she’s seemed humbled and genuine and grateful to be there. This snap analysis is based on nothing.

And don’t even get me started on the Anne Hathaway hate. There is nothing wrong with working your whole life towards something you’ve dreamed of and being excited about it coming true. Only jealous and insecure people would tear someone down for that.

estrelasdealgeruz
    Participant
    Topics:

What if Glenn Close is just being overhyped by Golderby? I haven’t seen many critics predicting her elsewhere. Even IndieWire predictions (from several critics) didn’t include her (she had less than 3% of the vote).

I assure you she’s not being overhyped. I’m very active in sites and critics blogs about the Oscars and almost everyone has her at least in top 5 and many even have her in #1. About IndieWire the poll you are referring to is a critic’s poll about the favourite performances screened at TIFF 2018. Obviously she wouldn’t show up in the poll since her movie screened there last year and is already screening nationwide (and FYI the movie is actually doing pretty good at box office considering that it is an indie movie).

loganlovesmyass
    Participant
    Topics:

Close is pretty much the Meryl of this year, very boring choice Idk I feel like they will award someone else. It’s not a weak category this year like when Julian Moore won or Streep for aIron Lady

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 726 total)

The topic ‘Best Actress 2019’ is closed to new replies.