( +1 hidden )
January 19, 2021 at 8:22 am #1203991093
It’s no surprise 2018 was one of the worst Oscar years ever, but the Best Actress lineup was absolutely fantastic and maybe even the best of the decade. All five nominees were win worthy IMO.
1. Olivia Colman in The Favourite
2. Melissa McCarthy in Can You Ever Forgive Me?
3. Glenn Close in The Wife
4. Yalitza Aparicio in Roma
5. Lady Gaga in A Star Is Born
It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!January 19, 2021 at 8:30 am #1203991107
It was always between the first two
AOTY - Renaissance
Angela Bassett, Michelle Yeoh, Brian Tyree Henry.January 19, 2021 at 8:35 am #1203991123
1. Olivia 2. Glenn 3. Melissa 4. Yalitza 5. Gaga It was always between the first two
Same top as well. It was always Olivia and Glenn. I would love to know the final results. Would be shocked if any of the other three had more than 10-15% of the votes.January 19, 2021 at 8:48 am #1203991146
Melissa McCarthyJanuary 19, 2021 at 8:49 am #1203991151
5. Yalitza the worst nominated everJanuary 19, 2021 at 8:53 am #1203991165
Oh 2018! I made so many enemies during that award season. From the category placement for Colman to that GG shock in Drama Actress to Yalitza’s nomination (RIP Blunt) it was a roller coaster. Glenn’s movie is definitely flawed, but her performance deserved (I’m in the minority here, but I also celebrated Olivia’s speech… the definition of a bittersweet moment).
5. “There could be…”January 19, 2021 at 8:59 am #1203991179This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.January 19, 2021 at 9:03 am #1203991191
I would have given it to either Glenn or Melissa. Glenn did a lot of subtle things so her perf was the most powerful of the lineup and Melissa really lost herself in the role and she was excellent in it too. Emily seemed borderline supporting in A Quiet Place so I would put her and Olivia in supporting replacing Stone and De Tavira. My personal line-up for that year would have been
5. ColletteJanuary 19, 2021 at 9:11 am #1203991223
1. Olivia (the only nominee I’d keep)
2. The others.
I would have nominated Carey Mulligan, Sakura Ando, Emma Stone (in lead) and Sofia Boutella instead.January 19, 2021 at 9:31 am #1203991268This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.January 19, 2021 at 9:43 am #1203991305
^Carey would’ve been my personal winner! but out of who was nominated:
1. Yalitza Aparacio (upon rewatch it’s really clear how present she is in every moment)
2. Melissa McCarthy (deeply underrated film/performance)
3. Lady Gaga (if the 2nd half of the film had done her character more justice, she might be my winner)
4. Olivia Colman (very good, but a supporting performance imo so I wanted just a little more)
5. Glenn Close (she did the best she could, but the movie was just so weak imo and it frankly did her performance a disservice)
I suppose it was a good year in that I would’ve been able to make my peace with any of them winning, which can definitely not be said for every year.January 19, 2021 at 9:46 am #1203991326
From the nominees
1. Olivia Colman
2. Melissa McCarthy
3. Glenn Close
4. Yalitza Aparicio
I may be the only one on this site who hasn’t seen A Star is Born yet
Emma Thompson i’m ‘Good Luck to You Leo Grande’
Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories
TV Winter FYC
Dead to Me in all categoriesNot now
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.