January 19, 2021 at 12:28 pm #1203991797
Weak lineup considering it was the strongest year ever for lead actress performances. One could easily compile a list of at least 20 lead actress performances that would’ve made worthy Oscar nominees. Anyway this is my ranking of the nominees:
I yo-yo back and forth between McCarthy’s performance and Aparicio’s. I like them both equally. I never cared for Colman’s performance. Gaga had no business being nominated.
FYC: Vanessa Kirby - Pieces of a WomanJanuary 19, 2021 at 12:46 pm #1203991845
1. Olivia Colman (or Close, Idc! Both great)
2. Glenn Close
3. Lady Gaga (or Aparicio)
4. Yalitza Aparicio
have not seen McCarthy
Of all the films I’ve seen from that year
1. Sakura Ando, Shoplifters
2. Toni Collette, Hereditary
3. Olivia Colman, The Favourite
4. Glenn Close, The Wife
5. Rosamund Pike, A Private War / Charlize Theron, Tully
watch I May Destroy YouJanuary 19, 2021 at 12:59 pm #1203991871
Out of the lineup.
Have not seen McCarthy.
My actual personal lineup for that year:
1. Carey Mulligan, Wildlife
2. Olivia Colman, The Favourite
3. Charlize Theron, Tully
4. Elsie Fisher, Eighth Grade
5. Toni Collette, Hereditary
FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")January 19, 2021 at 1:10 pm #1203991888
the shame in this scene. Debilitating
watch I May Destroy YouJanuary 19, 2021 at 1:11 pm #1203991890
Colman gave the performance of the year. She is so fantastic, particularly in that final scene. The Oscars not falling for Glenn’s narrative and picking the truly best performance might be the coolest thing they have done in a long time (at least until they outdid themselves with Parasite the year after).
My line-up would have been Colman, Davis, Collette, Blunt and Gaga.
Letterboxd: Ray_In_BrugesJanuary 19, 2021 at 1:54 pm #1203992019
1. Olivia Colman
2. Melissa McCarthy
3. Glenn Close
4. Lady Gaga
5. Yalitza Aparicio
Sakuro Ando, SHOPLIFTERS
Toni Collette, HEREDITARY
Olivia Colman, THE FAVOURITE
Melissa McCarty, CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME?
Carey Mulligan, WILDLIFE
I’d consider bumping Colman to Supporting where she’d win easily. I’d replace her with Emma Stone more than likely.
“The art of making art is putting it together...”January 19, 2021 at 2:06 pm #1203992067
1. Melissa McCarthy
2. Glenn Close
3. Olivia Colman
4. Lady Gaga
5. Yalitza AparicioJanuary 19, 2021 at 3:21 pm #1203992193
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/IsabelaOlivie/January 19, 2021 at 4:03 pm #1203992241
To me that year was actually one of the weakest lineups in recent years, Olivia, Glenn and Melissa are three performances that i adore deeply, but Gaga was just fine with the lackluster character they gave her and Yalitza to me was just… I don’t even want to say it.
Like, she had all the film on her shoulders and to me there was absolutely nothing in her performance, i do find it beautiful that a mexican indigenous woman was Oscar nominated, but man, i really disliked her performance and nomination.
So it’s like 60% of the nominees were great and the other 40% was meh to bad.January 19, 2021 at 4:08 pm #1203992249
Aparicia was flawless and I bet it was exactly what Cuaron ordered.January 19, 2021 at 4:08 pm #1203992254
not people actually mentioning blunt for that piss poor julie andrews impression, plsss
Director: Chloe Zhao
Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung
Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
Adapted Screenplay: The Father
Original Screenplay: Promising Young WomanJanuary 19, 2021 at 4:44 pm #1203992283
Aparicia was flawless and I bet it was exactly what Cuaron ordered.
Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
Best Picture - Nomadland
Best Director - Chloé Zhao
SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
Best Cinematography - NomadlandJanuary 19, 2021 at 4:49 pm #1203992291
Going off what I remember from that year, would have nominated Helena Howard, Sakura Ando, Carey Mulligan, and Keira Knightley along with ColmanJanuary 19, 2021 at 5:07 pm #1203992307
1. Yalitza Aparicio – Roma
2. Olivia Colman – The Favourite
3. Lady Gaga – A Star Is Born
4. Glenn Close – The Wife
5. Melissa McCarthy – Can You Ever Forgive Me?
There’s 7 people I wanted to nominate personally this year:
Samal Yeslyamova – Ayka
Yalitza Aparicio – Roma
Olivia Colman – The Favourite
Lady Gaga – A Star Is Born
Maggie Gyllenhaal – The Kindergarten Teacher
Nicole Kidman – Destroyer
Anna Kendrick – A Simple Favor
And a couple others in supporting that some people have as lead:
Marianne Jean-Baptiste – In Fabric
Sakura Ando – Shoplifters
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.