Home Forums Movies Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 481 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Lil Tony
Victor Cruz
teri
  • JGibson
    Participant
    Topics:

Did Yalitza already win the NYFCC today?

FYC: Best Actor - Jonathan Pryce for The Two Popes

justonemorething
    Participant
    Topics:

Question – why do some believe that Awkwafina is nomination worthy? I truly am confused by her hype. She has a monologue about the difficulty of immigration, but I for the life of me never was bowled over wanting to give her praise!

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Lupita just won Best Actress at NYFCC

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Seven.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Seven.
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Question – why do some believe that Awkwafina is nomination worthy? I truly am confused by her hype. She has a monologue about the difficulty of immigration, but I for the life of me never was bowled over wanting to give her praise!

She’s the weakest link performance wise in her own movie. They also want an Asian breakthrough and The Farewell is more critically esteemed than Crazy Rich Asians.

Kathy Bates for Best Supporting Actress (Richard Jewell)

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

She’s the weakest link performance wise in her own movie. They also want an Asian breakthrough and The Farewell is more critically esteemed than Crazy Rich Asians.

I chuckled here and there during The Farewell, but mostly I was crying huge tears. She’s Chinese-American. Every word she said, every nuance, was relatable for me.
    “But I never got a chance to see him again”.
    Knocked me to the floor with the force of a sledgehammer.

I understand why not everyone can relate to this. I’m not one of them.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I found Awkwafina’s performance to be very impressive. She did a wonderful job balancing some truly heartbreaking drama with some delightfully awakened comedy. I really felt for her character all throughout the film, seeing just how much she’s hurting, and how hiding it only makes the pain worse. I also appreciate her playing against type. What I’ve seen of her other works shows her as usually being overtly comedic, but here she has to play the dramatic lead who doubles as the straight man. And I’ll give props to her for doing a role where the majority of her dialogue is in a language she wasn’t actually familiar with until she made this film.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I found Awkwafina’s performance to be very impressive. She did a wonderful job balancing some truly heartbreaking drama with some delightfully awakened comedy. I really felt for her character all throughout the film, seeing just how much she’s hurting, and how hiding it only makes the pain worse. I also appreciate her playing against type. What I’ve seen of her other works shows her as usually being overtly comedic, but here she has to play the dramatic lead who doubles as the straight man. And I’ll give props to her for doing a role where the majority of her dialogue is in a language she wasn’t actually familiar with until she made this film.

There were both elite languages spoken here. Mandarin, and Japanese. I was a bit confused at first because I could understand half the dialogue and only a poor working knowledge of Mandarin.
    Easy to see they could understand one another, since the script is the same in both languages.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Duplicity is coming just as Thatcher has been saying:

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

We need to trust our prime minister. lol

nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

Ok so is this Yalitza thing a joke, and am I just thick for not getting it lol? I see no record of that movie existing on the internet

LLLhawks
    Participant
    Topics:

Please please please let this be true.

I just love movies. And awards.

ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

I am so surprised but happy for Lupita. If she wins LA, I am adding her again.

ayanami
    Participant
    Topics:

Yalitza isn’t on the predictions centre yet. Let me know when she’s added as I want to predict her at 100/1 odds before everyone follows suit. She can pull a Bradley Cooper for American Sniper in 2014 as a viable late contender.

JGibson
    Participant
    Topics:

Can’t wait for December 11th. Everybody is saying how Yalitza is a force of nature in this

FYC: Best Actor - Jonathan Pryce for The Two Popes

ginnala
    Spectator
    Topics:

I think Yalitza is winning LA. The subject matter is basically bait for this critics group.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 481 total)

The topic ‘Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.