Home Forums Movies Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 428 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
Victor Cruz
Bee
thatnerdgreg
  • John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

The odds are heavily stacked against Zellweger right now. In the last 15 years, the only Actress to win for a single-nominated film was Juliane Moore, who had the benefit of weak competition. Even if Judy somehow manages to get 1-2 additional nominations (Makeup? Song?), the odds are still bad: only 5 of the last 15 Actress winners won for non-Picture nominated films. The Wife proved that a Picture nomination is almost required to win Actress now: Glenn swept nearly everything but still lost to Colman.

Zellweger doesn’t have the overdue narrative on her side either-she already won for Cold Mountain, whereas Johansson has a massive overdue narrative after being snubbed for years on end. Plus, her film is a frontrunner for Picture, has better reviews and bigger buzz. I think Johansson is the one to beat: unless she has another epically bad PR blunder. But even then none of previous ones have really managed to diminish her status as a frontrunner, and bad PR didn’t affect Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody one bit.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

Just a slight correction ^ Colman won the BAFTA. So Glenn had a near sweep until Oscars.

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

Just a slight correction ^ Colman won the BAFTA. So Glenn had a near sweep until Oscars.

Glenn Close Olivia Colman will be talked on and on in the next 100 years… like we should get over it

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Imagine thinking Scarlett Johansson is overdue for anything.

EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

only 5 of the last 10 Actress winners won for non-Picture nominated films.

this is actually a lot

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

this is actually a lot

I meant to say 15. 33% is not good odds.

Also to whoever mentioned the BAFTA’s, you’re technically correct, but Gleen did win pretty much every other acting award of note that season.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

JakeT
    Participant
    Topics:

I meant to say 15. 33% is not good odds. Also to whoever mentioned the BAFTA’s, you’re technically correct, but Gleen did win pretty much every other acting award of note that season.

This confused me for a minute – but I think what you actually meant is 33.33%? Not great, but not terrible either.

Mickmack
    Participant
    Topics:

The odds are heavily stacked against Zellweger right now. In the last 15 years, the only Actress to win for a single-nominated film was Juliane Moore, who had the benefit of weak competition. Even if Judy somehow manages to get 1-2 additional nominations (Makeup? Song?), the odds are still bad: only 5 of the last 15 Actress winners won for non-Picture nominated films. The Wife proved that a Picture nomination is almost required to win Actress now: Glenn swept nearly everything but still lost to Colman.

Zellweger doesn’t have the overdue narrative on her side either-she already won for Cold Mountain, whereas Johansson has a massive overdue narrative after being snubbed for years on end. Plus, her film is a frontrunner for Picture, has better reviews and bigger buzz. I think Johansson is the one to beat: unless she has another epically bad PR blunder. But even then none of previous ones have really managed to diminish her status as a frontrunner, and bad PR didn’t affect Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody one bit.

Johansson IS not overdue whatsoever.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Right now I believe Zellweger is gonna take it, but I can also see either Johansson or Ronan (obviously we have to wait to hear how he film and performance are received though) winning.

Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

Scarlett Johansson isn’t a bad actress at all! Her performance in “Under the Skin” is one of my favorite leading actress roles this decade. In fact, I would’ve given her a personal win.

In terms of being overdue, she’s definitely one of those actors who should’ve been nominated years ago. Especially for “Lost in Translation”.

Her character in “A Marriage Story” looks very baity. However, on paper, Renee seems like an easier frontrunner prediction. “Judy” has all of the ingredients for Oscar: biopic, comeback, physical transformation, etc.

Voters love those type of performances!

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

bellajoe
    Participant
    Topics:

I genuinely don’t understand why people are so convinced on Zellweger. She’s a winner already, and despite Ali’s win last year, it’s still not incredibly common to win 2. I believe people think she’s gonna pull a McDormand, but Three Billboards and Judy are incredibly different movies, one was a BP frontrunner up until the ceremony itself, and Judy is expected to get nothing but actress.

As such, Johansson is my frontrunner. If Bombshell isn’t great, Theron won’t win, and can anyone tell me with a straight face that Awkwafina or Cynthia Erivo will beat Johansson? I don’t mind Emma Stone’s victory, but you all do remember Portman had the better performance but missed out everywhere due to Jackie not being a frontrunner in important categories.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

The pattern is for previous winners to win again is for their film to be better than the one they won in. In Ali’s case his previous film won bP and then his next film won BP. SPOILER: Judy ain’t winning BP. Renee will most likely be the films sole nominee and we saw how that hurt Close last year. I’d agree that ScarJo is the nominal frontrunner for now but she seems to be an awfully soft frontrunner. Could see someone sneak in and take it in the end.

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Also to whoever mentioned the BAFTA’s, you’re technically correct, but Gleen did win pretty much every other acting award of note that season.

Both won Globe, one won SAG and one won BAFTA. Close won CC and Colman won AACTA. Close was never a decisive frontrunner if we are looking at it solely from the precursor haul.

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

The pattern is for previous winners to win again is for their film to be better than the one they won in.

Cate Blanchett’s win doesn’t fit this pattern though. Even Christoph Waltz doesn’t.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Stop this nonsense, Filler Ronan isn’t winning this year. She’s not even getting nominated. Little Women is gonna flop. Hard.

There’s barely any contenders left in Best Actress. I wouldn’t be so quick to completely write off Ronan. Also, calling her filler is just wrong. She was definitely the runner up for Brooklyn, and most likely third place for Lady Bird (definitely no lower).

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 428 total)

The topic ‘Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.