Home Forums Movies Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 438 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +48 hidden )
replies
views
users
Victor Cruz
Bee
thatnerdgreg
  • BigJay2012
    Participant
    Topics:

1) Zellweger has the best performance, but a bad movie that will only get 1 nomination and potentially will flop at the BO.

2) Scarjo has a soft performance in a Netflix film that’s top 3 BP contender.

3) Theron will have the second best performance and the transformation of the year in a movie that could get 3-8 nominations.

4) Ronan will have the Ronan Academy friendly performance.

5) Diversity nom ( Awkwafina, Lupita, Cynthia Erivo, Alfre Woodard)

Are you saying that minority will only be nominated to fill a quota?

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  BigJay2012.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  BigJay2012.
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

1) Zellweger has the best performance, but a bad movie that will only get 1 nomination and potentially will flop at the BO.

3) Theron will have the second best performance and the transformation of the year in a movie that could get 3-8 nominations.

There are so many things wrong with this post. WTF is a diversity nom?

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Are you saying that minority will only be nominated to fill a quota?

No. This years all those ladies are fighting for the fifth spot because their films are either non factor or have gotten mixed reviews.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

No. This years all those ladies are fighting for the fifth spot because their films are either non factor or have gotten mixed reviews.

So Us and The Farewell, which were critically successful are non-factors even if they were to contend in Screenplay, but Bombshell (which is nothing beyond acting) and Little Women (unseen) are better just cause? Hell, even Judy itself is a non factor of a film and will only get one nod.

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

So Us and The Farewell, which were critically successful are non-factors even if they were to contend in Screenplay, but Bombshell (which is nothing beyond acting) and Little Women (unseen) are better just cause? Hell, even Judy itself is a non factor of a film and will only get one nod.

Because apparently, POC actresses can’t deliver a more worthy performance than these white women and only serve as fillers

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

the boards have confidence in Bombshell as an across the board player and Charlize is a lock despite us literally knowing nothing and the few reports we have heard not being very positive.

bellajoe
    Participant
    Topics:

Guys stop getting nasty with one another, this season everyone on here seems so much more rude. What is a racial quota? We all know Lupita is deserving… I will say the actresses of color are all contending for that last spot (because I do not currently predict Little Women and Bombshell will flop) but there are a multitude of reasoning for all of this.

Lupita/Us: Lupita would likely be Us’ sole nomination, a la Renee. (Unless they get in for score too.) but Lupita does not have the same ‘narrative’ as Renee. She was by far the greatest aspect of that movie, and a nomination would be 100% warranted, but is it likely?

Awkwafina/The Farewell: I currently have Awkwafina in right now because unlike many, I don’t think The Farewell is a non-factor just yet. Especially if 1917, Little Women, and/or Bombshell flop, if Jojo Rabbit, Ford v Ferrari, and/or Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood fizzle out, that leaves a spot for Farewell in picture, and if it gets picture, Awkwafina’s chances are much better.

Alfre/Clemency: This has already been discussed a lot, but this movie is nowhere close to a nomination in any other category, plus similarities to Just Mercy (both films being about death row injustice) will be raised. The movie was also received very mixed. Anyone who has seen one of her projects knows she will deliver a worthy performance, but I highly doubt her nomination.

Erivo/Harriet: Similar to Judy, Us, and Clemency, Erivo would probably be Harriet’s only nomination. I don’t see it getting into any of the tech categories, as it looks very TV movie to me. It could get song though, which could boost Erivo, but even then, her performance wasn’t unanimously praised, like Renee’s was.

Saoirse/Little Women: Little Women is Greta Gerwig’s highly anticipated second film, which is currently projected to make a big impact in awards season (Picture, screenplay, director, supporting actress, maybe more.) So as of right now, it makes sense to predict Saoirse and not one of the other discussed actresses. Once the film releases, this could ALL change. If little women ends up being a Harriet or an Us, I could definitely see Erivo or Lupita taking that place, seeing as though Saoirse doesn’t have a whole lot of range.

Theron/Bombshell: the hardest prediction. SO first and foremost, the subject matter of this film is very timely and very important, Theron is doing a transformative role, and she’s an Oscar winner already. Many seem sure she and Robbie will be nominated, and are waiting for the reactions before predicting it in categories like Picture or Screenplay.

So I believe that is why people seem to be predicting 4 white actresses over the women of color. To me, Scarjo is the only 100% lock. Ranking by likelihood:

1) Scarlett Johansson

2) Saoirse Ronan*

3) Renee Zellweger

4) Charlize Theron*

5) Awkwafina

————————-

6) Lupita Nyong’o*

7) Cynthia Erivo*

8) Alfre Woodard

*could flop, thus Nyong’o and Erivo would take those positions.

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Because apparently, POC actresses can’t deliver a more worthy performance than these white women and only serve as fillers

Right. I can’t think of a single POC whose nomination/win hasn’t been degraded to some kind of “affirmative action” or “quota”. I’m legit sick of these kind of comments

Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

#5 is the reason why I say some GD users have an undercurrent of racism.

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Yikes.

M Bocioaca
    Participant
    Topics:

#5 is the reason why I say some GD users have an undercurrent of racism.

The actual problem is the racism in the voting body. As difficult as it sounds, the post was accurate on how they vote.

ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

The actual problem is the racism in the voting body. As difficult as it sounds, the post was accurate on how they vote.

You must have been gone during the Golden Globes ceremony. The amount of racist comments on here towards Blacks was ridiculously horrific. There are multiple racist members on here.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  ENGLAND.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  ENGLAND.
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s crazy that ScarJo will likely get an Oscar nomination before Emily Blunt. ScarJo took over as Black Widow in the MCU once Blunt dropped out, and that role has made Scarlett a global superstar. Many believed that Blunt would continue to find success, especially with critics and awards, but now it looks like Johansson will beat Blunt to an Oscar nomination as well.

I wonder how Blunt HONESTLY feels about this.

Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s crazy that ScarJo will likely get an Oscar nomination before Emily Blunt. ScarJo took over as Black Widow in the MCU once Blunt dropped out, and that role has made Scarlett a global superstar. Many believed that Blunt would continue to find success, especially with critics and awards, but now it looks like Johansson will beat Blunt to an Oscar nomination as well.

I wonder how Blunt HONESTLY feels about this.

I doubt Emily Blunt loses any sleep over Scarlett Johansson being nominated. They’re not even outright competitors in any particularly meaningful sense.

Also, both are way overdue for a nomination, but Johansson has been around – and on top – longer.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Awkwafina is not getting an Oscar nomination.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 438 total)

The topic ‘Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.