Home Forums Movies Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 486 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
lili
Victor Cruz
Bee
  • Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

You know as well as I do that stans treat SaoRISE as a lock every time she’s in a movie. Ever since Brooklyn. Love her but Little Women is only being placed so high cause Greta Gerwig. It could very well flop. But I have it as a placeholder.

Gerwig is probably another Richard Linklater or Jason Reitman. The only reason I’m predicting Ronan is because Ryder got nominated for it.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Awkwafina is not Oscar worthy in The Farewell, why are people predicting her so hard? She will get her Globe nod and she’ll be fine.

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Awkwafina is not Oscar worthy in The Farewell, why are people predicting her so hard? She will get her Globe nod and she’ll be fine.

Because they assume The Farewell will be a thing with precursors strong enough to carry it in multiple categories.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Because they assume The Farewell will be a thing with precursors strong enough to carry it in multiple categories.

They don’t understand the farewell is forgotten. No on remembers it exists anymore.

Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

They don’t understand the farewell is forgotten. No on remembers it exists anymore.

I’m not too confident in its chances outside of screenplay, but I wouldn’t say The Farewell is forgotten. It is just now getting it’s international release (on top of its Mandarin-subtitled re-release just a week ago in the U.S.) and critics will probably shower it with prizes because A24 is literally in bed with the journalists that comprise LAFCA, NYFCC and NSFC. Plus, I’d say it benefits from coming out alongside OUTIH because when voters reflect back on that film and the dismal summer it came out in, they’ll remember The Farewell.

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Oscars:

1. Charlize Theron- Bombshell
    2. Renee Zellweger- Judy
    3. Saoirse Ronan- Little Women
    4. Scarlett Johansson- Marriage Story
    5. Awkwafina- The Farewell

BAFTA:

1. Saoirse Ronan- Little Women
    2. Renee Zellweger- Judy
    3. Charlize Theron- Bombshell
    4. Emma Thompson- Late Night
    5. Cynthia Erivo- Harriet

Golden Globe d:

1. Renee Zellweger- Judy
    2. Charlize Theron- Bombshell
    3. Saoirse Ronan- Little Women
    4. Scarlett Johansson- Marriage Story
    5. Helen Mirren- The Good Liar

Golden Globe mc:

1. Meryl Streep- The Laundromat *sup Everywhere else
    2. Awkwafina- The Farewell
    3. Emma Thompson- Late Night
    4. Emilia Clarke- Last Christmas
    5. Beanie Feldstein- Booksmart

SAG:

1. Charlize Theron- Bombshell
    2. Saoirse Ronan- Little Women
    3. Renee Zellweger- Judy
    4. Awkwafina- The Farewell
    5. Scarlett Johansson- Marriage Story

Globes FYC- Fleabag, Phoebe Waller Bridge, Jodie Comer, Dame Emma Thompson, The Crown

SAG FYC- The Crown, Olivia Colman, Fleabag, PWB

Critics Choice- Schitts Creek, Fleabag, Killing Eve, Bodyguard

BAFTA- Fleabag, Killing Eve

Oscars FYC ‘Little Women’ ‘Downton Abbey’ ‘Maggie Smith’

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

One snub that I want to see is Saoirse Ronan. She’s been playing the same role over and over again. Nothing new. From the trailer alone, I can tell you for free that Little Women is a sequel to Lady Bird with a period setting. Same thing she did in Brooklyn and even Mary Queen of Scots last year. It’s just same mannerisms, same characters with different names.

She’s so overrated here. I’m not surprised that Ronan is considered a lock by many people despite not seeing any reviews for her film. Same people who has dismissed Erivo and are not giving Alfre Woodard deserving mentions. The complain would be “Clemency is a late release”, but it’s almost same release date with Little Women.

Is it because Ronan isn’t black?

Taron Egerton (Rocketman) for best actor. Charlize Theron looks great in Bombshell teaser

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Funny. For a film that has been forgetten, people keep bringing it up in multiple threads all the time. Has anyone heard of Ad Astra or the Aeronauts? I’m sure they’d kill to be as “forgotten” as The Farewell

KAZ-2.5
    Participant
    Topics:

I love Ronan as an actress but I’m not predicting her yet. Last year she was supposedly a lock for Mary Queen of Scots and nobody cared about her performance during that entire awards season, except fans who wanted her to break Lawrence’s nomination record.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Exactly. People are way too hung up on that film here. Even if Harriet does flop, it will probably make more money than The Farewell did, and Erivo is probably much more respected in film circles than Awkwafina is, plus her role is more baity. So anyone predicting Awkwafina over Erivo just seems kind of delusional to me.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Joker
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Joker

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

One snub that I want to see is Saoirse Ronan. She’s been playing the same role over and over again. Nothing new. From the trailer alone, I can tell you for free that Little Women is a sequel to Lady Bird with a period setting. Same thing she did in Brooklyn and even Mary Queen of Scots last year. It’s just same mannerisms, same characters with different names. She’s so overrated here. I’m not surprised that Ronan is considered a lock by many people despite not seeing any reviews for her film. Same people who has dismissed Erivo and are not giving Alfre Woodard deserving mentions. The complain would be “Clemency is a late release”, but it’s almost same release date with Little Women. Is it because Ronan isn’t black?

No, it’s because Neon is a garbage distributor who can’t campaign to save their life, while Ronan is starring in one of the biggest Oscar contenders of the entire year.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Joker
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Joker

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Saoirse Ronan is a good dramatic actress, but she can’t seem to get out of the Brooklyn role. I still think she will get in unless Little Woman is a big flop financially or critically.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Have you heard anything about her performance?

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh wait a minute now. SaoRISE is phenomenal let’s not drag her. I just think that she’s overpredicted sometimes as forum stans like to do with Nicole Kidman.

The difference with I, Tonya is that was a more accessible watch. It was a poppy, showy acting fest. Clemency isn’t that and it’s not hyped like I Tonya was.

I don’t think we’ve discussed too much of SAG. They are incredibly basic so expect Cynthia Erivo there. I think Awkwafina is one way or the other to where she can get in based on the early screener advantage The Farewell will get but also get snubbed because she is extremely subtle and some voters can be like “is that it?”. Scarlett and Renee are locks there. Saorise Ronan and Charlize Theron will gamble with the late release and possibility of the screeners being late and as we have seen, if you are not ACTING, SAG voters will not blind vote if they don’t see you in time.

With that, I think Lupita can very well make SAG. It’s the exact type of populist performance they would nominate.

Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

Exactly. People are way too hung up on that film here. Even if Harriet does flop, it will probably make more money than The Farewell did, and Erivo is probably much more respected in film circles than Awkwafina is, plus her role is more baity. So anyone predicting Awkwafina over Erivo just seems kind of delusional to me.

Awkwafina has A24 and while that doesn’t guarantee an Oscar, it guarantees a myriad of critics prizes which Erivo simply won’t get because her film is lackluster and its box office while be abysmal. Focus does not guarantee big numbers, especially after their flops this year and last fall. Plus, the black community aint supporting it. Erivo is neither African American like Tubman nor fond of the African American community. Just search #BoycottHarriet

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 486 total)

The topic ‘Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.