Home Forums Movies Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 438 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +48 hidden )
replies
views
users
Victor Cruz
Bee
thatnerdgreg
  • Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

If Toni Collette could not get nominated considering the acclaim and support she has from critics and audience alike, Lupita Nyong’o is NEVER getting nominated in a million years.

I’m not sure why Toni Collette is used as this high beacon of horror when it comes to people’s chances for a nom being in a genre film when it was obvious why she didn’t get nominated;

1. Hereditary had critical acclaim but it was a very alienating film among audiences and voters. Do you really think SAG was about to sit down and watch Hereditary in full just for Toni Collette? It was too weird for them and that’s why she didn’t get any precursor noms (the same goes for Ethan Hawke in First Reformed). Us was a financial hit and is way more accessible ala A Quiet Place.

2. Toni did not have this usurp of critical support like a lot of y’all think she did. Sure, regional critics remembered her and some rewarded her but Olivia Colman had the type of performance that would overshadow Collette’s chances. Even Regina Hall had more support. Toni Collette only made LAFCA runner up and that’s it. No major critics came to her rescue unlike Ethan Hawke (who’s snub is way more damaging than hers). At least with this year, there seems to be no clear road on who would be the critical darling and I think Lupita would actually have a chance at some of them (she won LAFCA before and was also runner-up at both NYFCC and NSFC). Ditto for Awkwafina. I mean the only other person I can think of is Scarlett.

3. Toni Collette is an Oscar nominee, Lupita Nyong’o is an Oscar winner. A recent one at that. Ari Aster was a newcomer while Jordan Peele is an Oscar winner. Somebody pointed this out last year that while Collette’s character isn’t necessarily unlikable, she’s constantly losing and it’s not exactly a rootable role. Lupita’s playing two characters with a sympathetic light once the film ends after you’ve rooted for one the entire way through but wind up feeling bad for the other. That’s what Eddy was trying to point out; it’s a surgical type of performance and while it’s not traditionally baity or dramatic, she still has two monologues up close and personal.

So that’s why I don’t understand the whole “if Toni Collette couldn’t even get a nom, there’s no way Lupita makes it in” argument when in the same year, Emily Blunt won SAG for a horror performance over the Oscar nominees.

Get Real!
    Participant
    Topics:
    1. A Quiet Place didn’t get any acting nomination considering the fact that it was a more accessible film according to you. Oh and it was also a box office hit.
    2. We all know SAG tried that with Emily Blunt. No need to remind you that even with her SAG, Blunt was not only humiliated by BAFTA but the Academy preferred her to Marina de Tavira, when was supposed to have visibility with that nonsensical SAG win. Dios mío!
    3. Toni Collette’s performance received widespread critical acclaim and she was constantly brought up as a serious contender by audiences. Lupita is a forums’ minority thing that won’t last when she’ll be shut out by precursors and critics awards.
    4. Being a recent nominee is not an argument! lol! My Goodness, Regina King, Rami Malek and Olivia Colman have never been nominated before yet they defeated Oscars darlings and previous winners in some cases.

Toni Collette has all the arguments for a nomination. If she couldn’t, Lupita Nyong’o is certainly not getting in. And stop trying to make Us relevant when people already digested this film long ago. It won’t appear in voters’ mind when they will be filling their ballots so is its lead actress.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  Get Real!.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  Get Real!.
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Toni Collette’s movie made like $5 at box office. The only people who cared about her were stans. Everyone saw Us. Everyone praised Lupita. There is nothing stopping her from getting nominated.

moviefan617
    Participant
    Topics:

Toni Collette’s movie made like $5 at box office. The only people who cared about her were stans. Everyone saw Us. Everyone praised Lupita. There is nothing stopping her from getting nominated.

It made almost $80 million worldwide and is A24’s highest-grossing film ever, but go ahead and continue to twist the truth so it fits your narrative. I’m not saying this because I think Lupita is undeserving (because I would fully support a nomination for her), but no need to throw Toni Collette under the bus to preserve your argument, especially if you’re getting the facts wrong.

Chimichanggas
    Participant
    Topics:
    1. A Quiet Place didn’t get any acting nomination considering the fact that it was a more accessible film according to you. Oh and it was also a box office hit.
    2. We all know SAG tried that with Emily Blunt. No need to remind you that even with her SAG, Blunt was not only humiliated by BAFTA but the Academy preferred her to Marina de Tavira, when was supposed to have visibility with that nonsensical SAG win. Dios mío!
    3. Toni Collette’s performance received widespread critical acclaim and she was constantly brought up as a serious contender by audiences. Lupita is a forums’ minority thing that won’t last when she’ll be shut out by precursors and critics awards.
    4. Being a recent nominee is not an argument! lol! My Goodness, Regina King, Rami Malek and Olivia Colman have never been nominated before yet they defeated Oscars darlings and previous winners in some cases.

Toni Collette has all the arguments for a nomination. If she couldn’t, Lupita Nyong’o is certainly not getting in. And stop trying to make Us relevant when people already digested this film long ago. It won’t appear in voters’ mind when they will be filling their ballots so is its lead actress.

Still a basher. Why not behead yourself with a piano wire? Hmmm.

Lupita for a nomination. Renee for a win. That's it.

Get Real!
    Participant
    Topics:

The only people who cared about her were stans. Everyone saw Us. Everyone praised Lupita. There is nothing stopping her from getting nominated.

Lupita was praised by Twitter users where Collette received widespread critical acclaim by relevant journalists. If you’re honest at least you’ll admit that Lupita wasn’t overwhelmingly praised! Anyways.

Listen my darling do yourself a favor and don’t be hoping for too much! It can hurt you bad when Lupita is snubbed! Don’t be a masochist like that!

Get Real!
    Participant
    Topics:

Still a basher. Why not behead yourself with a piano wire? Hmmm.

My Goodness! y’all the most fragile people on the internet. Like seriously someone can’t just speak his mind without being called a hater or whatever. Chill!

Get Real!
    Participant
    Topics:

It made almost $80 million worldwide and is A24’s highest-grossing film ever, but go ahead and continue to twist the truth so it fits your narrative. I’m not saying this because I think Lupita is undeserving (because I would fully support a nomination for her), but no need to throw Toni Collette under the bus to preserve your argument, especially if you’re getting the facts wrong.

This!! 🙌🏻🙌🏻

justonemorething
    Participant
    Topics:

Any idea why Finn Wittrock is doing press for “Judy”? I get that he’s in the movie, but he’s not going to be nominated. Since the film isn’t going to be a major player outside of Renee I am confused as to why they’re not having her do everything. It’s not like Jonathan Pryce was promoting “The Wife” or Alec Baldwin for “Still Alice”. Wouldn’t they want the film to solely be associated with Renee?

vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Any idea why Finn Wittrock is doing press for “Judy”? I get that he’s in the movie, but he’s not going to be nominated. Since the film isn’t going to be a major player outside of Renee I am confused as to why they’re not having her do everything. It’s not like Jonathan Pryce was promoting “The Wife” or Alec Baldwin for “Still Alice”. Wouldn’t they want the film to solely be associated with Renee?

he is popular due to his ryan murphy shows so more eyes on him more people will go?

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’ll make more than The Wife, not sure about Jackie. There’s certainly been loads of promotion and buzz surrounding Judy here in the UK. If it can make more than The Farewell I think Renee will be fine.

1.4 million tracking at 350 theaters. 4000k per theater average is quite mediocre for an opening weekend. Whats going to happen when it expands to 1000 theaters?

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:
    4. Being a recent nominee is not an argument! lol! My Goodness, Regina King, Rami Malek and Olivia Colman have never been nominated before yet they defeated Oscars darlings and previous winners in some cases.

Lol what are these arguments? This only proved how racist a LOT of you are around here.

Marina De Tavira was a coattail nominee in a Best Picture FRONTRUNNER and I’m sure Emily Blunt got category confusion since she was borderline in A Quiet Place and was also competing with herself in Mary Poppins Returns. And yet she still won over precious Amy Adams who was a supposed lock for SAG, lol.

Lupita has JUST as many raves as Toni Collette did. Are we dealing with a Kord clone with this level of delusion? Reducing her to a racist “forums minority thing” is laughable.

Being a recent WINNER sure the fuck is an argument. She was just in Black Panther, too, which WON SAG Ensemble. So they know who she is. Lol, using Regina King (an industry vet who had 3 Emmy Wins under her belt and had all of the respect in the world to propel her to an unusual win), Rami Malek (playing a real life beloved musician), and Olivia Colman (critical favorite over YOUR FAVE and in a baity role) as defendes are so weak with you disregarding the precise situations they were in.

I know you Saorise Ronan and Charlize Theron stans are thinking they are locks and trying to deny every other contender, but don’t try this delusional bullshit.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Sure, lets compare box office. Us made 255M worldwide. lol Us grossed more than Hereditary in its first 5 days of release, but go off.

Lets go further, Us is Universal’s highest grossing film of the calendar year. More than Hobbes and Shaw, more than How to Train your Dragon, more than Secret Life of Pets. It very well could wind up #1 for the year if Cats flops.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  PJ Edwards.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  PJ Edwards.
    Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

Sure, lets compare box office. Us made 255M worldwide. lol Us grossed more than Hereditary in its first 5 days of release, but go off.

They were just responding to your misguided claim that Hereditary made “$5” at the box office. It did pretty well considering it’s an independent film. On the hand, I’d sure hope Us grossed 255M worldwide. Universal has a much larger budget and it still won’t come as close as A24 did

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

FYI: legendary actress Alfre Woodard is getting the nomination not Lupita. I don’t think any one remembers Lupita by now. But Lupita is deserving if she somehow manages to get one.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 438 total)

The topic ‘Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.