Home Forums Movies Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 481 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
Victor Cruz
Lil Tony
Stegeo
  • PreludeinCSharpMinor
    Participant
    Topics:

Alfre Woodard keeps popping up and while I would love for her to get a nom, Clemency is a late release distributed by NEON of all things. I don’t see it.

It should happen. She will be the black lead actress not Ervo. All they have to do is send screeners to the SAG nomination committee and it is done deal. She will get critics awards.

wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

Is there a trailer for Clemency?

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

It should happen. She will be the black lead actress not Ervo. All they have to do is send screeners to the SAG nomination committee and it is done deal. She will get critics awards.

If anyone is the black contender getting support, it is Lupita. Unlike Cynthia Erivo, she’s likable, has way better raves, an acclaimed film that was a financial smash, and is already an Oscar winner. Unlike Alfre Woodard, she has a movie that is already seen and accessible.

bellajoe
    Participant
    Topics:

Woodard is such a great actress, but Clemency is not going to get her a nomination. The plot looks very similar to Just Mercy, and while I don’t think that movie will garner many nominations, it will have more hype than Clemency. I think it is comparable to Margot not getting in due to Mary Queen of Scotts (in addition to being a horrid movie) being too similar to The Favorite.

If Little Women had any other director besides Gerwig, I’d say it has flop potential. The trailer is sufficient, but that’s probably due to its phenomenal ensemble. But because it is Gerwig, it will get raves and nominations.

But… if bombshell flops, this may be one of the weakest best actress races ever.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree with Bee. I’m starting to think Erivo will not get in. Her reviews have been all over the place. Some saying she’s great, others saying they didn’t give her much to play with or that she couldn;t save her movie. Harriet will probably go down even more on RT and Metacritics and bomb at the box office. On the other hand, Woodard is not a priority for Neon. There’s no trailer out, no promotional camapaign. Movie is coming out too late. She might get in for the critics choice which nominates 10 people, but I doubt she gets a Golden Globe, SAG or BAFTA and therefore it’ll be a longshot for the Oscar. Lupita could be running as the diversity contender right now. Her movie has been seen and they might want to give Jordan Peele film at least one nomination since they admired him.

Vicki Leekx
    Participant
    Topics:

Everyone still sleeping on Queen Helen…I cannot

BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

Everyone still sleeping on Queen Helen…I cannot

I’d love for her to spice up this race but do we know anything about the good liar other than the source material?

Vicki Leekx
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d love for her to spice up this race but do we know anything about the good liar other than the source material?

Absolutely not (I mean, apart from the provocative source material), but isn’t that keeping things interesting in what seems a dull race?

Material aside, wouldn’t it be interesting to see Helen back in the game after numerous false starts?

Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Erivo is in. Relax. She is playing Harriet Tubman. Film would have to be disaster (and its not) for her to not get in for such baity part in this weak field.

EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

Felicity Jones literally missed last year for playing RBG an equally baity part. Erivo’s not happening.

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Felicity Jones literally missed last year for playing RBG an equally baity part. Erivo’s not happening.

It is worth noting that last year was a much stronger field. However, Jones is a bigger name and RBG being very relevant in this day and age arguably makes her a more baity role, so the point still stands.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Erivo is in. Relax. She is playing Harriet Tubman. Film would have to be disaster (and its not) for her to not get in for such baity part in this weak field.

that will help in precursors but doubt she has passion to get in at the end

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Felicity Jones- RBG and Oyelowo’s Martin luther King didn’t get in. Erivo is very vulnerable for a nomination.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s one person we don’t know much about and stands as a possibility: Helen Mirren – The Good Liar. I don’t expect much since it seems like McKellen has the baitier role but she’s not very much in the trailer so that leaves quite some mystery for her material and performance.

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

Felicity Jones wasn’t heavily featured in the conversation. Her movie was almost invisible. Ruth Bader Ginsburg wasn’t hyped like Harriet Tubman. Erivo looks like a lock for a GG nomination and CC might give her nod too since they have seven slots there and the category isn’t any strong. Not saying that Erivo is definitely getting a nomination, but she can possibly ride the wave.

Taron Egerton (Rocketman) for best actor. Charlize Theron looks great in Bombshell teaser

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 481 total)

The topic ‘Best Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.