Home Forums Movies Best Actress for 2020 Oscars (Part 5)

Best Actress for 2020 Oscars (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 437 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Victor Cruz
teri
Seven
  • babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

True, but Judy Garland doesn’t squint.

She does her own singing doesn’t she?
    That s takes a barrel of guts.

If I don’t care for her performance I won’t have any problem saying so. But I don’t expect to be disappointed.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Apparently, Lupita and Cynthia Erivo are both going to be interviewed by Oprah together. That’s one thing, Cynthia will be extremely thirsty in her campaign. Us will be screening for guilds for the next few days as will Bombshell.

Dan Jo
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: center;”>

Apparently, Lupita and Cynthia Erivo are both going to be interviewed by Oprah together. That’s one thing, Cynthia will be extremely thirsty in her campaign. Us will be screening for guilds for the next few days as will Bombshell.

</p>
    Oprah is supporting them. They can be in contention. Oprah can influence Academy voters to pay attention to their performances instead of their films.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

And yet she couldn’t influence them enough to procure herself a win or another nomination.
    Still, Michael Vick is still playing professional football with AFFL.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Lupita can get in. I don’t think Erivo will get any farther than the Globes. No one cares about her movie, and her performance itself wasn’t particularly well received.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  thatnerdgreg.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  thatnerdgreg.
    Dan Jo
    Participant
    Topics:

And yet she couldn’t influence them enough to procure herself a win or another nomination. Still, Michael Vick is still playing professional football with AFFL.

That is irrelevant. We are only talking about Lupita and Cynthia. Let’s focus on their chances than talking about Oprah’s unfortunate past Oscar history. This is Best Actress thread.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

That is irrelevant. We are only talking about Lupita and Cynthia. Let’s focus on their chances than talking about Oprah’s unfortunate past Oscar history. This is Best Actress thread.

I don’t think her Oscar past is “unfortunate”.
    But it’s you who says she can influence the outcome of the race n’est ce pas?

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think her Oscar past is “unfortunate”. But it’s you who says she can influence the outcome of the race n’est ce pas?

She was pretty instrumental in pushing Precious in the 2009-10 Oscar race and getting Mo’nique that win. Without getting too far into it, there were a lot of other factors that led to her snub in 2014 but I don’t think that discounts her power to promote in the entertainment industry, I would say she was also important in WTSU’s marketing this year.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

She was pretty instrumental in pushing Precious in the 2009-10 Oscar race and getting Mo’nique that win. Without getting too far into it, there were a lot of other factors that led to her snub in 2014 but I don’t think that discounts her power to promote in the entertainment industry, I would say she was also important in WTSU’s marketing this year.

Wait a second. I admire Oprah. Look at what she’s done! Just because she hasn’t won doesn’t make her “bad”.
    Wish Precious had my come up because I really dislike that movie…

Dan Jo
    Participant
    Topics:

Exactly! Let’s not bring forth the 2014. Let’s talk about Best Actress race of 2019.

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw Judy. I think this is a The Wife situation where I will have a tough time divorcing a good performance from a bad movie in my head. Renee does a good job as Judy Garland, but this isn’t a career-best performance to be honest. I wouldn’t mind Renee winning, but I wouldn’t be outraged if she lost. I want more spark in this Oscars year.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I have never read Little Women or seen any of the adaptations, but for those who have and kept up with the 1994 Oscar race, how did Winona Ryder get an Oscar nomination for the role of Jo without any precursor nods?

Does the character have meaty material to not only guarantee a nom, but also a win? I am just not feeling Scarlett or Renee after catching their films this past weekend and I just have a gut feeling Bombshell is going to flop. Without Theron and with the other two losing momentum, is there any precedent for Ronan coming in and fucking up the narrative?

The character is definitely meaty enough although not a typical Oscar role I guess. That year was very very weak in terms of competition though so I think Ryder got in based on that, the merit of her performance, and her previous nomination the past year.

oscarin7
    Participant
    Topics:

Lupita can get in. I don’t think Erivo will get any farther than the Globes. No one cares about her movie, and her performance itself wasn’t particularly well received.

I support this! I think at this point Lupita has a better chance of getting the Oscar nom more than Erivo!

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: center;”> </p> Oprah is supporting them. They can be in contention. Oprah can influence Academy voters to pay attention to their performances instead of their films.

when Oprah couldn’t influence them to get herself a nomination for The Butler in a category for which she was the early frontrunner few years back. Pleaseeeeeeee. They’ll get in on their own if it happens

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Lil Tony.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Lil Tony.

FYC
    Best Actor :.
    Taron Egerton = Rocketman
    Joaquin Phoenix = Joker
    Eddie Murphy = Dolemite is my Name

Best actress :
    Charlize Theron = Bombshell
    Alfre Woodard = Clemency

Supporting Actor
    Brad Pitt = Once upon a time in Hollywood

Supporting Actress =
    Margot Robbie = Any of her two performances.
    Dame Maggie Smith = Downton Abbey
    Octavia Spencer = Luce

TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

Finally saw Judy. I thought the film was mediocre and Zellweger was alright but definitely not Oscar worthy. If she does win, she’d definitely be the weakest winner of the decade.

Lupita Nyong'o will win the Best Actress Oscar for "Us."

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 437 total)

The topic ‘Best Actress for 2020 Oscars (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.