Home Forums Movies Best Actress for 2020 Oscars (Part 5)

Best Actress for 2020 Oscars (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 438 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +62 hidden )
replies
views
users
Victor Cruz
teri
Seven
  • Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I haven’t said all that much about the Oscar races this year, but I am putting my money on Johansson at the moment. I’m not making the same mistake as last year, betting on an overdue narrative to carry someone across the finish line. I LOVED Glenn Close’s performance, but “The Wife” being such a middle-of-the-road movie just did her no favors; her being the sole nominee cost her the win. Both AMPAS and the TV academy have recently shown that they just aren’t all that sentimental, so I don’t think Zellweger’s comeback narrative is going to get her all that far. Plus, “Judy” will not be a BP contender, whereas “Marriage Story” will. And “Marriage Story” will have much more broad appeal than “Bombshell,” I’m guessing. I do, however, think that Ronan could still crash this race and shock us all.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

Okay I gotta admit I only started to hope for Theron because I only wanted someone to end this boring two women race where one is much more dominent but would make such an odd 2 time Oscar winner. Now that Theron is riding the waves strong and confident, I totally root for her now without any hesitation whatsoever!

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t said all that much about the Oscar races this year, but I am putting my money on Johansson at the moment. I’m not making the same mistake as last year, betting on an overdue narrative to carry someone across the finish line. I LOVED Glenn Close’s performance, but “The Wife” being such a middle-of-the-road movie just did her no favors; her being the sole nominee cost her the win. Both AMPAS and the TV academy have recently shown that they just aren’t all that sentimental, so I don’t think Zellweger’s comeback narrative is going to get her all that far. Plus, “Judy” will not be a BP contender, whereas “Marriage Story” will. And “Marriage Story” will have much more broad appeal than “Bombshell,” I’m guessing. I do, however, think that Ronan could still crash this race and shock us all.

Can you explain to me how a movie about Divorce will have more appeal than a movie about the Me too movement?

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

First Review:

“From an awards season perspective one cannot exaggerate how incedible Theron’s turn as Kelly truly is. Not only does she look hauntingly like Kelly at times, but her performance is grounded with a vocal similiarity that is simply a marvel to experience. It’s not even close to mimicry or some sort of an impression. Hours later we admit we’re still awestruck by her achievement. Moreover, Theron is a lock to earn a Best Actress nomination and in any other year, she’d be a massive frontrunner to win. That being said, it’s the middle of October and AMPAS already appears head over heals for Renee Zellweger’s transformation into Judy Garland in the indie hit “Judy.” We’d argue what Theron does is more impressive, but is it too late to slow down the Zellweger train? We’re open to the possibilities.“

https://theplaylist.net/bombshell-oscars-20191014/

MrGoodWood
    Participant
    Topics:

First Review:

“From an awards season perspective one cannot exaggerate how incedible Theron’s turn as Kelly truly is. Not only does she look hauntingly like Kelly at times, but her performance is grounded with a vocal similiarity that is simply a marvel to experience. It’s not even close to mimicry or some sort of an impression. Hours later we admit we’re still awestruck by her achievement. Moreover, Theron is a lock to earn a Best Actress nomination and in any other year, she’d be a massive frontrunner to win. That being said, it’s the middle of October and AMPAS already appears head over heals for Renee Zellweger’s transformation into Judy Garland in the indie hit “Judy.” We’d argue what Theron does is more impressive, but is it too late to slow down the Zellweger train? We’re open to the possibilities.“

https://theplaylist.net/bombshell-oscars-20191014/

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Can you explain to me how a movie about Divorce will have more appeal than a movie about the Me too movement?

Because I can already see a specific group of people hating on “Bombshell.” Don’t forget the day and age we live in now. I’m not saying MS will go untouched, but I don’t see as much controversy brewing around that one. Let’s just hope I am wrong!

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Because I can already see a specific group of people hating on “Bombshell.” Don’t forget the day and age we live in now. I’m not saying MS will go untouched, but I don’t see as much controversy brewing around that one. Let’s just hope I am wrong!

Elwood just said in his article that Diane Lane, Cara Delevingne, Andie McDowell, Gloria Allred were all at the screening. Industry will go nuts for Bombshell.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Elwood just said in his article that Diane Lane, Cara Delevingne, Andie McDowell, Gloria Allred were all at the screening. Industry will go nuts for Bombshell.

Well, I’d be more than happy if it does well across the board. I have been looking forward to this for quite a while now! I was just very worried, by the comments here alone, that it’d be controversial. If it isn’t, then yay!

Bradley Jackson
    Participant
    Topics:

As per usual, GoldDerby willingly is gonna stay blind. Theron is winning the Oscar. Zellweger couldn’t be more passable in Judy. And Johansson.. well, she didn’t deliver a performance out of the ordinary.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

The Scarlett Johansson is winning talk was always dumbfounded. The moment she failed to win Best Actress at Venice was very telling that she isn’t this year’s Emma Stone. She’ll be a filler number 3 or 4 at best.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

“Charlize Theron could win second Oscar for Playing Megyn Kelly.” – Variety

https://variety.com/2019/voices/in-contention/charlize-theron-megyn-kelly-bombshell-oscars-1203369253/

“It turns out that Theron had nothing to worry about. The film — particularly Theron’s uncanny physical and vocal transformation — was enthusiastically received by the crowd. Up until Sunday, it seemed like Renée Zellweger was going to sail through awards season picking up one honor after another before taking home her second Academy Award in February.

However, Theron could be serious competition for Zellweger. Others in the mix for lead actress include Scarlett Johansson (“Marriage Story”), Cynthia Erivo (“Harriet”), Lupita Nyong’o (“Us”) and Awkwafina (“The Farewell). Saoirse Ronan has buzz for “Little Women,” but Sony has only screened it for very few people.”

“Bombshell” has more than a good shot at earning a best picture nomination with Roach picking up a directing nom and Charles Randolph one for original screenplay.” – Variety

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

As per usual, GoldDerby willingly is gonna stay blind. Theron is winning the Oscar. Zellweger couldn’t be more passable in Judy. And Johansson.. well, she didn’t deliver a performance out of the ordinary.

Have you actually seen Marriage Story? Not judging, just wondering, because a lot of people here seem to be calling Johansson mediocre without having even seen her.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

This argument sucks so bad. Insisting a movie is boring/has nothing to say because of the subject matter found just in the log line is so so flawed lol. The story of moonlight is essentially “a boy comes of age in Miami”. Or Manchester by the Sea “an man moves in with his orphaned nephew”. Some of the best movies have stories that appear rather ordinary and thus the way they are profound and bring out themes is much more challenging and authentic than a movie that comes framed with a message, like Bombshell. Not to say Bombshell won’t be good, because apparently it is, but your lack of foundation in trashing Marriage Story is not at all fair.

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

Have you actually seen Marriage Story? Not judging, just wondering, because a lot of people here seem to be calling Johansson mediocre without having even seen her.

I know you were responding to someone else but I saw it at LFF and she was good (nomination-worthy) but I felt that a different actress would’ve elevated the material. For context I felt the same with Stone in The Favourite. Having said that, I think she could win due to the strength of her film in relation to the rest of the contenders.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Robbie was an absolute revelation in “I, Tonya,” and quite frankly, was very deserving of that Best Actress Oscar. That mirror-makeup scene is some of the best onscreen work of this decade IMO; it takes an actor with real dramatic chops to pull that off as well as she did, at least IMO. I’m sorry for her that her beauty may be impeding/have impeded her awards chances because it’s so ridiculous. We see slap-the-stud all the time at the Emmys, but I do feel like AMPAS has been a bit better with that (after all, Timmy is an Oscar nominee – thank god).

Crying is not that hard!

McDormand is the second most deserving winner this decade behind Blanchett.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 438 total)

The topic ‘Best Actress for 2020 Oscars (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.