Home Forums Movies Best Actress for 2020 Oscars (Part 5)

Best Actress for 2020 Oscars (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 427 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +10 hidden )
replies
views
users
Victor Cruz
teri
Seven
  • Profile picture
    Cinephile
    Topics:

Nominations should go to the top 5 performances but let’s not ignore the fact that this category is looking like 4/5 will be white blonde nominees. I’d love to see some diversity in here. It’s not the white actors fault, it’s the fact that there aren’t enough films made with fully rounded poc roles or those films aren’t properly handled for awards contention.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    GregSprinkles
    Topics:

Those who have Saoirse Ronan over Lupita Nyongo are delusional.

Ronan’s performance and film were well received in early screenings, and Little Women seems to be much more up the Oscars’ alley than Us. I’m not denying that Lupita was fantastic, but she’s really only in the conversation because this year is so weak.

Profile picture
    jonny
    Topics:

It’s Charlize vs Renee, one of them wins

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Stats point to either Theron or Zellweger to win.

Actually they don’t. Only one actress in the history of the Oscars had repeated in this category. Meanwhile we just had a first time nominee win 3 years ago.

The stats are doubly bad for Zellweger, who isn’t even in a Picture nominee. Theron does have that going for her, which is why she’s my second place.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    ayanami
    Topics:

Only one actress in the history of the Oscars had repeated in this category.

I’m confused. Quite a few have.

Anyways, I agree. Zellweger is probably not winning. A second Oscar win for a role in non-Picture nominee is a highly unlikely occurrence. Charlize is more likely than Renee in that respect.

On paper, Scarlett seems the likeliest to win.
    1. She’s a mega-star.
    2. She has somewhat of an ‘overdue’ narrative. She has been acclaimed in previous performances (Lost In Translation), and has won a Tony Award, so the prestige is there.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    ayanami
    Topics:

And Renee’s first Oscar was for a supporting character.

Only Jessica Lange, Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Helen Hayes, Maggie Smith and Ingrid Bergman have won BSA and BA. The odds are not in Renee’s favour to win.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

One thing is certain, stats point to Scarlett taking SAG.

This stat is more effective. Some one has won for playing a real life person every year except 1998 and 2016.

If Phoenix/Driver wins Actor
    If Dern/ Robbie wins S. Actress
    If Pitt/Pacino wins S. Actor

Stats point to Theron or Zellweger as the winner since both are playing real life people.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Kubrick
    Topics:

If Bombshell becomes a critical darling, with career-best notices, Theron can win. A slight stutter step in reception, and she’s a nominee only. Otherwise, I’m betting on Zellweger to take home #2. The last few years have shown us that the influx of new, younger and diverse Academy members have made predicting stats obsolete.

Profile picture
    Nikhil
    Topics:

Scarlett Johansson will NOT win any precursors, the race is between Theron and Zellweger!

I don’t know how people keep saying this with certaininty and are being so dismissive of Johansson. Johansson’s presence in a top best picture contender makes her a huge threat to win. There is enourmous precedence for this. This is especially true given her competition is Zellweger (Judy will not be a BP nom) or Theron (Bombshell may be a nominee). I’d say she’s the definite frontrunner and will stay that way unless Zellweger starts sweeping like Julianne Moore or Cate Blanchett. But remember those scenarios are rare and for every one of those we have a Glenn Close or Natalie Portman who get stood up by the bigger movie.

Top 3 Films of the Year: Parasite, The Farewell, OUATIH

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 427 total)

The topic ‘Best Actress for 2020 Oscars (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.