Home Forums Movies Best Actress for 2020 Oscars (Part 5)

Best Actress for 2020 Oscars (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 438 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +62 hidden )
replies
views
users
Victor Cruz
teri
Seven
  • babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

^This is true. Plus his screenwriter I have hopes for.
    I like Austen Powers btw. It’s an acquired taste perhaps but they made me laugh.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I have never read Little Women or seen any of the adaptations, but for those who have and kept up with the 1994 Oscar race, how did Winona Ryder get an Oscar nomination for the role of Jo without any precursor nods?

Does the character have meaty material to not only guarantee a nom, but also a win? I am just not feeling Scarlett or Renee after catching their films this past weekend and I just have a gut feeling Bombshell is going to flop. Without Theron and with the other two losing momentum, is there any precedent for Ronan coming in and fucking up the narrative?

She should have potentially baity scenes particularly near the end.

I’m stumped ‘re the Ryder nod, although she wasn’t the only nomination.
    She was a genuine ingenu and BO draw at that time.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  teri.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  teri.
    Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

She should have potentially baity scenes particularly near the end. I’m stumped ‘re the Ryder nod, although she wasn’t the only nomination. She was a genuine ingenu and BO draw at that time.

I hope Greta does Saoirse RIGHT! I know I am in the minority here, but I was so moved by her performances in Brooklyn and Lady Bird, and in addition to some other entries in her filmography, I truly believe she is deserving of an Oscar win at this age, especially considering Lawrence, Larson and Stone did it with, in my opinion (don’t attack), far inferior acting capabilities.

I really hope Little Women is that vehicle for her, but if not, she does have Ammonite coming out next year which has the potential to be BAD ASS

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

FYI: The year Ryder got in was a weak Best Actress year. Ronan is also lucky that this is a weak Best Actress year.

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s Be Real…

The most used line this season. Maybe the category is extremely weak that we have to accept the possibility of every lauded performance getting in

FYC
    Best Actor :.
    Taron Egerton = Rocketman
    Joaquin Phoenix = Joker
    Eddie Murphy = Dolemite is my Name

Best actress :
    Charlize Theron = Bombshell
    Alfre Woodard = Clemency

Supporting Actor
    Brad Pitt = Once upon a time in Hollywood

Supporting Actress =
    Margot Robbie = Any of her two performances.
    Dame Maggie Smith = Downton Abbey
    Octavia Spencer = Luce

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope Greta does Saoirse RIGHT! I know I am in the minority here, but I was so moved by her performances in Brooklyn and Lady Bird, and in addition to some other entries in her filmography, I truly believe she is deserving of an Oscar win at this age, especially considering Lawrence, Larson and Stone did it with, in my opinion (don’t attack), far inferior acting capabilities.

I really hope Little Women is that vehicle for her, but if not, she does have Ammonite coming out next year which has the potential to be BAD ASS

Lots of us loved her in Brooklyn and Lady Bird.
    I hope it happens for her, especially after The fiasco MQOS.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Lots of us loved her in Brooklyn and Lady Bird. I hope it happens for her, especially after The fiasco MQOS.

Y’all don’t forget that she was also iconic in her first Oscar nom for Atonement

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

Kubrick
    Participant
    Topics:

he’s far from being lifeless. She’s a great actress and gives a great performance.

Oh shut up.

She’s not that “great.” Aside from her Tony winning performance in A View from the Bridge, I’ve never been convinced that she was a true talent.

Like I said, she’s probably winning.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Y’all don’t forget that she was also iconic in her first Oscar nom for Atonement

For me she was the only watchable part of Atonement. Ronan, and the 3 minute soliloquay from Vanessa Redgrave.

OhJulian
    Participant
    Topics:

Emma Stone was marvelous in La La Land and i will forever defend her.

OT: #TeamRenee

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh shut up. She’s not that “great.” Aside from her Tony winning performance in A View from the Bridge, I’ve never been convinced that she was a true talent. Like I said, she’s probably winning.

OMG! You sound so rude and serious. You need to calm down

FYC
    Best Actor :.
    Taron Egerton = Rocketman
    Joaquin Phoenix = Joker
    Eddie Murphy = Dolemite is my Name

Best actress :
    Charlize Theron = Bombshell
    Alfre Woodard = Clemency

Supporting Actor
    Brad Pitt = Once upon a time in Hollywood

Supporting Actress =
    Margot Robbie = Any of her two performances.
    Dame Maggie Smith = Downton Abbey
    Octavia Spencer = Luce

Vicki Leekx
    Participant
    Topics:

As expected, Queen Helen is snatching raves for Catherine the Great. This will inevitably heighten her visibility just in time for the release of The Good Liar…sleep on her at your peril.

FYC:

Antonio Banderas and Asier Etxeandia, Dolor y Gloria (Best Actor/Supporting Actor)
    Emily Beecham, Little Joe (Best Actress)
    Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren, The Good Liar (Best Actor/Actress)

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Most of the praise for the film has gone to Driver and Dern.

This is really funny because in most reviews Dern gets at most a sentence of praise and Johannson and Driver are praised fairly equally. If anyone can find a credible review that praises Driver significantly more than ScarJo please include it because that’s not what I’m reading.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m so confused why people keep bringing up the quality of Scarlett’s performance, as if the Oscar usually goes to who is most well liked on the goldderby forums. If that’s how it worked every winner between Blanchett and Colman would have been different. She has rave reviews, that’s a fact, stop acting like all the praise is going to Driver and Dern. The fact that Driver and Dern are contenders as well only helps her, it just makes her film stronger than it would be otherwise. And y’all are choosing to ignore a lot of red flags with Renée, Like that the movie sucks and she’ll be the films only nom (I seriously doubt it gets makeup or costumes) and that she already has an Oscar. Do they really want to give her a 2nd one? Why would they when Hollywood’s highest grossing actress is right there with the film and performance ready to be anointed by the academy. And Scarlett is in an interesting and likely advantageous position where she’s viewed as both a hot, young(ish) ingenue (I mean not really but we see people call her this all the time so clearly people think it’s true) and an overdue veteran.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

As I’ve said before she along with Sir Ian are getting both nominated. All they need is the movie to be just a modest box office hit and they’re good to go.

I also have hopes for The Good Liar. Go Ian! Twice! Catherine the Great as a series however might hurt Helen more than help.
    Guess we’ll see.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 438 total)

The topic ‘Best Actress for 2020 Oscars (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.