Home Forums Movies Best Original Score 2016

Best Original Score 2016

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
Eddy Q
Riley Chow
GusCruz
  • GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

LOL I thought Arrival could even win

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Sorry, Arrival & Batman v Superman, you’re not invited??? Passengers made it, at least.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Well Justin Hurwitz, time to make some room on the ol’ shelf!

Unless of course he gets snubbed… then it would be the most pathetic, but still interesting race this year.

I'm not perfect, but I keep trying.

ReplyCopy URL
    Noe
    Participant
    Topics:

The eligibility rules for Score and Song are baffling, out of common sense. Now Arrival joins the list of casualties.

This would have been third in a row nomination for Jóhann Jóhannsson. Deservedly so.

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

Arrival’s snub doesn’t even make sense. The Artist won a few years back with a track from Vertigo used in a key scene.

Rooting for either Hurwitz or Levi.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Updated predictions:

The BFG by John Williams
    Florence Foster Jenkins by Alexandre Desplat
    Kubo and the Two Strings by Dario Marianelli
    La La Land by Justin Hurwitz
    Moonlight by Nicholas Britell

I fear Mica Levi might be too cool for this club. Newbie Nicholas Britell benefits from his film being a top Best Picture contender, and it has a cool violin solo.

GoldDerby “experts” are fools to sleep on The BFG. So it was a flop. So what? This is John friggin’ Williams we’re talking about, and he’s not competing with himself like previous times when he missed out such as JFK over Hook, or Schindler’s List over Jurassic Park. I made this mistake last year when I predicted Williams would miss for The Force Awakens like he did for the prequels. But on all three occasions he was nominated for at least one other film instead, whereas last year he only had Star Wars. The same is true for this year. Anyway, the music branch is not going to pass on him for this most compositionally advanced track below:
    https://open.spotify.com/track/7MMycvs6AeB5hNQ9Yb3uXd

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Updated predictions: The BFG by John Williams Florence Foster Jenkins by Alexandre Desplat Kubo and the Two Strings by Dario Marianelli La La Land by Justin Hurwitz Moonlight by Nicholas Britell I fear Mica Levi might be too cool for this club. Newbie Nicholas Britell benefits from his film being a top Best Picture contender, and it has a cool violin solo. GoldDerby “experts” are fools to sleep on The BFG. So it was a flop. So what? This is John friggin’ Williams we’re talking about, and he’s not competing with himself like previous times when he missed out such as JFK over Hook, or Schindler’s List over Jurassic Park. I made this mistake last year when I predicted Williams would miss for The Force Awakens like he did for the prequels. But on all three occasions he was nominated for at least one other film instead, whereas last year he only had Star Wars. The same is true for this year. Anyway, the music branch is not going to pass on him for this most compositionally advanced track below: https://open.spotify.com/track/7MMycvs6AeB5hNQ9Yb3uXd

Those five make sense. I thought Desplat would be out at first because FFJ’s score is mostly jazz but he’s been on a roll lately.

ReplyCopy URL
    leothescorpio
    Participant
    Topics:

The BFG
    Florence Foster Jenkins
    Hidden Figures
    La La Land
    Moonlight

ReplyCopy URL
    AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Oh yeah, I’m reasonably confident John Williams is in. I mean, if he could garner a nomination for The Book Thief

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    tildswints
    Participant
    Topics:

Prognosticators usually have a hard time with this category, probably because they’re trying to evaluate music with the same sensitivity as professional musicians.  Fortunately, it always follows a similar pattern: 3-4 perennial nominees and 1-2 first-timers.

Usually the 1st timer is an established musician outside the film-community (Reznor & Ross “The Social Network”, Arcade Fire “Her”, Gary Yershon “Mr. Turner).  The next most likely scenario is that they are long-overdue – Carter Burwell “Carol”, Mychael Danna “Life of Pi” etc.  The least likely is that they are a genuine up-and-comer – i.e. started in film and under 40.  Only 3 composers have gotten in that way since 2006 – Michael Giacchino, Marco Beltrami, and Steven Price.

Justin Hurwitz’s “La-La Land” takes the slot of the outsider nomination (and these usually win).  Nicholas Britell’s “Moonlight” and Mica Levi’s “Jackie” are probably vying for an up-and-comer slot.  I’d give Levi the edge since she has “Under the Skin” in her resume and Jackie is more mainstream.

For the perennials, John Williams is the only lock for “BFG”.  He should be considered a lock for anything he does at this point, given that he scooped up nominations for “The Book Thief” and “The Force Awakens.”

I’d say the last two slots are toss-ups between Ross & Reznor for “Patriots Day”, Dario Marianelli for “Kubo”,  Alexandre Desplat for “Florence Foster Jenkins” and Thomas Newman for “Finding Dory”.  I’d give the edge to the last two, given that Ross & Reznor were snubbed for “Gone Girl”, and Desplat and Newman have a perfect batting record with their respective collaborators (Stephen Frears and Andrew Stanton).

ReplyCopy URL
    party.poison
    Participant
    Topics:

For me Justin Hurwitz has this in the bag. The music perfectly compliments each magnificent scene. They’re memorable and go very well together. That’s just my opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Rupert Gregson-Williams is possible for Hacksaw Ridge. He also did the score to The Crown this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

John Williams did get an Oscar nomination for The Book Thief, but he also got BAFTA and Globe nominations for it. He has already missed the Globes for The BFG, so I would pay attention to BAFTA.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

John Williams did get an Oscar nomination for The Book Thief, but he also got BAFTA and Globe nominations for it. He has already missed the Globes for The BFG, so I would pay attention to BAFTA.

The Globes are funny with the Score category. Their winners have sometimes been snubbed by the Academy, and there’s even been times when the eventual Oscar winners were snubbed at the Globes, most recently The Grand Budapest Hotel. (In 1998, Life Is Beautiful and Shakespeare in Love won the Drama and Comedy/Musical Oscars, but both were snubbed in the Globes category!) I remember Grand Budapest not being predicted by many experts to get nominated in the early stages, which continued when it was snubbed by BFCA and Globes. Then BAFTA nominated it and everything changed.

I’m not saying I think The BFG will win, but to me it seems like one of those seemingly obvious contenders that experts randomly neglect, but ultimately gets the nomination, like Grand Budapest. Anyway, I expect Williams to get nominated at BAFTA because The BFG has the Brit factor with its author, setting and cast; I wouldn’t be surprised if it got a few other technical nominations there either.

ReplyCopy URL
    tildswints
    Participant
    Topics:

Seconding on Eddy Q, Golden Globes really don’t mean anything for best original score – precisely because it’s the difference between journalists and professional musicians doing the nominating.  GG picks are more populist because they’re your everyday audience member and usually have a 40-60% crossover with Oscars.

Also I made a mistake on Mica Levi, and assumed she was in the industry because of Under the Skin – she is also an outsider, which makes unlikely that both she and Hurwitz would get the cut.  I also forgot about Nocturnal Animals, which has a slightly more seasoned composer at the helm, so I’d bump Moonlight for that.

Predictions:

BFG, Florence Foster Jenkins, Finding Dory, La La Land, Nocturnal Animals.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.